• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mcbeth star destroyers

Meh. The "classic" flight path has always been all over the place. There were super meat hook Averies too. I don't buy the theory that they've changed the mold for the McBeths. I think we're just seeing the usual inconsistency. Also, the only Destroyers out there that can be confirmed to be an actual new run are the max weight grand slams and I don't think those are super meat hooks, just regular ole OS Destroyers.

That's for damn sure. It's always fun to throw a new Destroyer and figure out where it fits into the lineup. Sometimes a brand new one will end up on the understable side. Or I'll get a pro one that I keep for a while that never beats in.

It's a mystery.

Exactly why I switched from Destroyers to the Crush for my OS high speed disc of choice. A little slower, more OS and the same disc every time.

Heh, I can't tell you how many people I watched switch from Crushes because they couldn't find replacements that flew the same...

I bought my first Destroyer at the beginning of last summer it was a DX, the thing flew perfect for me. It was by far my farthest flying disc, flew perfectly flat and straight. After a few good tree and rock hits it started flipping over into an any even throwing with quite a bit of hyzer on it the thing still turned hard right throwing RHBH. So then I decided I would get a *destroyer because I heard they were pretty OS and after some good hits it would probably get to where my DX was new. Wrong this thing is such a OS meat hook I can't do anything with it. I'm hopping it will still beat in to where my DX was new but I'm not holding my breath. Amazing the different flights u get with different plastics.:wall:

I bought my first Destroyer at the beginning of last summer it was a DX, the thing flew perfect for me. It was by far my farthest flying disc, flew perfectly flat and straight. After a few good tree and rock hits it started flipping over into an any even throwing with quite a bit of hyzer on it the thing still turned hard right throwing RHBH. So then I decided I would get a *destroyer because I heard they were pretty OS and after some good hits it would probably get to where my DX was new. Wrong this thing is such a OS meat hook I can't do anything with it. I'm hopping it will still beat in to where my DX was new but I'm not holding my breath. Amazing the different flights u get with different plastics.:wall:

You need to buy a Pro Destroyer. The rim is too thin to take any punishment in DX plastic.

Yep, a DX Destroyer and a Star aren't even going to be in the same league in terms of stability. If you want something that starts out a bit less stable than the Star and beats in faster, you could get a GStar or a Pro Destroyer. Those will still probably start out much more OS than the DX, but they'll at least beat in a lot quicker. Otherwise, you're probably better off looking into something like a Star Tern if you want something similar in stability to the DX Destroyer in premium plastic.

I came to suggest the same as hughes. A new, lighter champ tern will fly about like a slightly used pro or heavily used star destroyer, maybe a bit less wind resistance. But in the end I think you will enjoy the tern more based on your comments. I only have a two or three star d's I can throw as well as my champ terns, and those destroyers were all beef when new, but I bought used and pretty beat in. The low plh destroyers never worked well for me.

I found some really low weight McBeth star destroyers that weight as low as 136. Anyone else found some in this weight range and how have they flown?

I found some really low weight McBeth star destroyers that weight as low as 136. Anyone else found some in this weight range and how have they flown?

I snagged a couple 150 class ones (only thrown 1 of the 3) and it's pretty beefy for its weight. I haven't beaten it up a lot yet but I think once I do the high speed turn will start showing. I can't get it to flip and if I try to flex it it fights out pretty quick.

I'm pretty sure from looking at these that the ones below about 160 are all really Starlite plastic (bubbles in the rim). I have a couple of 158's that are super OS, but I can't see any bubbles in their rims the way you can with the lighter ones. I haven't thrown much Starlite, but if it works like Blizzard, the lighter ones with bubbles in the rims are likely to be pretty flippy. Hopefully someone on here has tried a lighter one and can report back on them.

Nope, the 150 I have isn't flippy.

I've thrown a few different molds in the star light and they haven't started flippy at all like some blizzard.

I believe it's highly unlikely the low weight star destroyers stamped PMcB are made the same as other starlite. None of that awesomeness has seeped into other molds I've tried.

I think I'm going to try one of these 140ish ones and see how it goes. I have been using blizzard wraiths for my standstill drives and these could possibly replace them.

I have a 175g grand slam and a 167 signature that are the same mold, I've had quite a few throws with them now and both are very beefy. The GS is very stiff and the regular is a bit softer, the two plastics are very different.

It is however nice to see that the shape from that particular mold is consistently overstable. The old AJ/Vulcan style mold appears to have been put on echo production duties.

If this is going to be the mold used for the new McBeths things are looking up in Destroyerville :clap:

I have a 134g that is anything but understable. I just don't like throwing it into headwinds because the wind pushes it back. In tailwinds it's a bomber.