• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] MD4

drew2000

Bogey Member
Didn't see a thread for this one so I figured I'd bring it up by itself.

MD4 - Approved 4/21/17:
Max Weight: 180.1, Diameter 21.7, Height: 1.6. Rim Depth: 1.4, Inside rim diameter: 18.9, Rim thickness: 1.4, Rim depth/ratio: 6.5, Rim config.: 51.25

I know most everyone expects this to go along with the rest of the Discmania midrange naming system and be more overstable than the MD3 to be Discmania's version of the Gator. I am not that great at reading into the specs to determine how the disc will fly, so I will put the Gator's dimensions so hopefully someone can shed some light on the rest of us.

Gator - Approved 1/21/00:
Max Weight: 176.0. Diameter: 21.2, Height: 1.9, Rim Depth: 1.4. Inside rim diameter: 18.6, Rim thickness: 1.3, Rim depth/ratio: 6.6, Rim Config.: 49.5

I can obviously tell that the MD4 has a larger diameter, is slimmer and has the same rim depth (so maybe beadless and/or flat topped), slightly thicker rim, and a higher number for the rim configuration which means it is more blunt (I think).

I personally hope that the MD4 is a beadless, flat topped Gator that comes out in C-Line and will be readily available for retailers. As long as the stablity is the same as the Gator and is beadless, I will probably get one whether it is S-Line or C-Line, but I personally prefer C-Line.

I heard from a Discmania junkie that it will be the MD3 with a big bead but it could just be a tweaked Roc3x.

I heard from a Discmania junkie that it will be the MD3 with a big bead but it could just be a tweaked Roc3x.

I would be very surprised by that. The Md, md1, md2, and md3 are all beadless, so it would be weird to complete their lineup with a beaded disc. JMO and 100% speculation tho

I hopes it's beadless & flat. I want an overstable flat top beadless mid thats easier to get than Mortars. I'd prefer C-Line as well.

One of the protos of a variation that won't be produced made it out there and is beadless. Hope they stayed that course - Jussi seems to avoid beads.

Photo

Here's a look at the prototype. No bead.

Attachments

• 14931619637151945270009.jpg
    14931619637151945270009.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 1493161946728374057094.jpg
    1493161946728374057094.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
It will probably fly like a Verdict.

As in, not that overstable.

I don't think it will be anywhere close to a Gator.

Here's a look at the prototype. No bead.

were you told if this is the actual proto of the mold that will be released? or is it the mold the team members had that wont be produced? I think a few pro's were selling the mold that wont ever be made on the FB group. If you did get yourself a proto of the actual disc that will be released, please let us know how it flies :)

Heard from a good source whose thrown it that alas its not that overstable. Which is a shame but i am willing to give it a fair chance. I just wonder if we need to wait until EO fundraiser (if its going to be one)

Sounds like this won't scratch the actual itch. I bet people move on to wishing and waiting for the mdx.....

DM could have used a flat topped brick years ago at this point.

Looks like the C-Line MD4 will be released tomorrow as the European Open fundraiser disc per a Jussi Twitter post. No time was given on the post.

After watching the videos from the DM media teamhere are my thoughts:

- The flight in my mind it looks like what the MD3 should've been. Straight with a slight fade at the end and HSS.

- I don't think this will satisfy the people looking for something truly overstable to replace a gator or mortar type disc. Although I don't think that was there original intention.

- I haven't liked the recent runs of MD3's, so this disc looks like it could be my solve and reducing the need to find old stock MD3.

- Unfortunately I think the community might slightly divided on reception (which is too bad!). Looks like a great mid for those of us who don't like beads I.e. Roc3 but want something close to buzz(ish)/roc3 in fight.

Just my initial thoughts after watching the videos, excited to try one myself.

Last edited:
I got my MD4 from the Finnish sports equipment store on this morning and got few throws with it against the RocX3 and the slightly beat in Glow MD3. MD4 flies like a RocX3 but with some more glide. Especially the fade of the discs carries it more to the left (RHBH) than RocX3's fade. Definitely not a Gator/Mortar/Justice-like overstability, but very workable and stable midrange. Well now I need to decide if I bag the MD4 or RocX3 for my stable mid slot :D

I would assume that the P3x will be Zone/Harp/Slammer/Justice -type of disc from Discmania, it would be a really good complement for MD3/MD4-combo.

i have a feeling that people will use the p3x for the dm gator they always wanted rather than try to like this md4. it is kind of a shame that the md3 wasnt like this in the first place ,maybe the md4 could have been what people wanted in the stability spectrum had the md3 been a little more stable. i wouldnt mind trying the md4 at some point but doesnt sound like it will be what i want either. my wasps are already a little more stable than md3's so it kinda defeats the purpose for me.

Latest posts