• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

measuring your throws on a base ball field

Ebon Betta

Ok, this a little hard to figure out but I'll try to explain it clearly.
I usually practice on a baseball field to just throw and try and get a good solid flight. I usually just throws the discs I have since I do not have a lot and i get to see how each one acts.
I start at the back stop when I throw and the backstop is about 10 feet to home plate.
From there I I can get almost to the start to the grass between first and second. The problem is trying to figure out how far that actually is .
If home plate to the pitchers mound is 60' and from the pitchers mound to the grass should be 95 feet. so straight towards center fields should be 155 feet to the grass. But towards first or third base i think is less because the grass is an arc around the mound.
But I at least have a starting distance.

Not all baseball fields are uniform. This is why a football field is preferred. Investing in a reel tape and some soccer cones or marking flags is even better.

^^^^ Perfect advice. (Skip the baseball fields. Soccer/football fields are preferred.

if no soccer fields near, measure your steps...
walk a known distance, say you find it takes 75 steps to reach 200 feet. Then count your steps after you throw and do a little math. Also, after the first round you can place a few putters at the 200, 250, 300 or what ever.

But the foot ball field would be perfect... the 30, 20, the 10, it could go all they way... Touch Down!!!

I'd love to take some discs to Dodger stadium. What better way to prove I can throw 400' than chucking a disc over the center field wall?!

I like how you're thinking. Throw the discs you have, learn how they fly, and take advantage of the practice space you have around you. Your rationale is good as long as it's a standard baseball field, as scarpfish said. I also agree that football fields are best, but I haven't found one that's available near me... It takes a bit more time, but there are plenty of apps that give distance between points using your phone's location. The one I used was very simple for measuring "ball" golf distance and I believe it was relatively trustworthy.

There's a playground I go to for practice and when the foot traffic is heavy I head over to the baseball fields. I use Google Earth for the measurements. What's nice are the convenient reference points - home plate, pitchers mound, bases, outfield light posts. Other advantages with the fenced in baseball field are people don't walk in front of your disc when its in flight and finding discs is a lot easier since the grounds are usually maintained better than the grass on the playground.

Depends. I wouldn't count on them any more vs city ball fields really. The national soccer complex fields are bigger compared to the one around the street corner and local school.

Latest posts