• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mejlholm's bag

mejlholm said:
. . .I think I'm going to miss my leopard, but I'm hoping to get a teebird beat up fast enough to take it's place.
Have you made progress beating Star Teebirds into Leopards? If you are looking to speed that process, DX Teebirds (especially lightweight ones) lose their fade fairly quickly if you play in the woods (at least if you hit as many trees as I do). You can rotate two DX Teebirds for the price of one Star, and as a bonus DX Teebirds fly noticeably farther compared with Star.

I used to use Star Leopards for tunnel shots in the woods, but beat-up DX Teebirds do the job more reliably. Other folks seem to prefer beat-up DX Eagles. Either would give you more flexibility without increasing the number of molds that you carry.

Then there's the longer and more forgiving P PD. It's straight out of the box depending on the weight to throwing distance combo. For your D last summer I'd say a 166 P PD should be quite straight and 15x should turn very nicely. Getting different weights and plastics would cover headwind driver duty to left fading, straight and understable disc quite nicely. PDs power down nicely for their speed so at appropriately light weight in P plastic they don't really suffer from lack of verstaility in shorter throws either despite the higher speed. The only drawback is distance control because it's easier to throw past the basket with PDs. Hyzers or throwing high can cure that along with practice.

Monocacy said:
mejlholm said:
. . .I think I'm going to miss my leopard, but I'm hoping to get a teebird beat up fast enough to take it's place.
Have you made progress beating Star Teebirds into Leopards? If you are looking to speed that process, DX Teebirds (especially lightweight ones) lose their fade fairly quickly if you play in the woods (at least if you hit as many trees as I do). You can rotate two DX Teebirds for the price of one Star, and as a bonus DX Teebirds fly noticeably farther compared with Star.

I used to use Star Leopards for tunnel shots in the woods, but beat-up DX Teebirds do the job more reliably. Other folks seem to prefer beat-up DX Eagles. Either would give you more flexibility without increasing the number of molds that you carry.

Good point. I should have thought about that before I bought a whole bunch of star teebirds. Actually I've been mostly focused on beating in my star Eagle, which btw. is comming around nicely, that I haven't thrown the teebirds at all. It's probably time now to give the teebirds some love :)

JR said:
Then there's the longer and more forgiving P PD. It's straight out of the box depending on the weight to throwing distance combo. For your D last summer I'd say a 166 P PD should be quite straight and 15x should turn very nicely. Getting different weights and plastics would cover headwind driver duty to left fading, straight and understable disc quite nicely. PDs power down nicely for their speed so at appropriately light weight in P plastic they don't really suffer from lack of verstaility in shorter throws either despite the higher speed. The only drawback is distance control because it's easier to throw past the basket with PDs. Hyzers or throwing high can cure that along with practice.

Been there, done that with the different weights, although it was with the surge a couple of years ago. It worked okay, but there was always the problem with wear/loss and finding the disc in a particular weight is a pita in Denmark/Europe. As for the PD, I have a copy from the players package at the European Open. I've never really thrown it much, as it doesn't feel comfortable in my hands. If I were to put the PD in the bag, then it would only be to replace the wraiths, which I don't see happening. I'm very content with those discs. As for replacing the eagles / teebirds with the PD, the only reason I throw the eagles/teebirds it to limit my range. Most of the courses I play have open holes that range 100 - 110m, which is the sweet spot for those discs with my current power level. A wraith (and probably a PD), would simply go too far.

On a different note, how is everything going in Finland?

A PD certainly has the potential to overfly but it's the indian not the arrow. PD takes well to powering down.

We've been busy and things are looking great for near future announcements. More film projects for this year than the last. I filmed The Dutch Open but it'll probably be a long while before we can get to it because of other filmed projects that are more urgent to get out to shops due to contracts.

On a personal note I tied my personal best at my home course yesterday despite my arm not giving the best performance for putting. Had two long putts touch the concrete and two pole hits and one 3 cm too low basket hit. Driving was nice. And that was round three after my friend left so I got in a flow and self confident frame of mind. I play better when I don't have pauses waiting for others to play. I played speed golf for two holes passing a pool that offered me to play through.

I've solidified my bag a bit and gotten much better at line shaping with Rhynos but also get great service out of VPs, Spiders, and Gators (FH). PDs work for me and a Stalker and Buzzz are so well suited for me that it's freaky. A little more power has made Surges lasers for me and I've dropped Destroyers, Bosses and such in favor of Katanas or Nuke for long distance work. Valks for high apexes that need to flip to anny or flat like getting over trees and still landing on tight fairways. I usually don't carry all of those but they all are instantaneously usable with full confidence. Since I get to almost as far with putters I rarely carry the Spider. What's funny is that I've got a slew of different PDs and rarely throw it on local courses that are reachable and tight with Stalkers which fits my small hand better and thanks to the consistently lower fade at shorter distances tends to stay on the fairways better. PDs start to fade as little above say 105 m. I get my Z 178 Buzzz flat without flipping farther than the Stalker starts to lose all or most of the fade. And Force is great in the winds and FH distance. Spikes for flipping drives and most putts.

With these I can tackle all but the craziest of winds when the Spirit handles headwinds and totally calm is no problem as well. I also have control in throws to every distance left, straight and right to different elevations. I'm happy but I've got soft and medium Ions on the way for fewer tree bounces and you know those are on offer here :) Also Ridge and Summit just to see what's up with them. Since putters get used on so many throws around here out to so many distances in so varying wind conditions I don't observe disc minimalism with them. Basically they are putters, mids and drivers out here so it's a matter of definition anyway what to call them. Since the roles for many holes are overstable driver, moderately overstable driver, understable driver, mids and putters. And those handle forehands and many trick shots. Only headwind role doesn't suit them. Only when one needs to scale to longer than putter drive distance does one need more discs. Which is dependent on the course and not that often on some of the courses here.

How are you doing? Competing a lot? Are you coming to Stockholm Disc Golf Open or The Scandinavian Open? I'll be there. I try to get to the Finnish championships and The Finnish Open.

JR said:
A PD certainly has the potential to overfly but it's the indian not the arrow. PD takes well to powering down.

We've been busy and things are looking great for near future announcements. More film projects for this year than the last. I filmed The Dutch Open but it'll probably be a long while before we can get to it because of other filmed projects that are more urgent to get out to shops due to contracts.

Nice, I'm always looking forward to seeing the videos from Finland :)

JR said:
On a personal note I tied my personal best at my home course yesterday despite my arm not giving the best performance for putting. Had two long putts touch the concrete and two pole hits and one 3 cm too low basket hit. Driving was nice. And that was round three after my friend left so I got in a flow and self confident frame of mind. I play better when I don't have pauses waiting for others to play. I played speed golf for two holes passing a pool that offered me to play through.

Congrats on the round. Sounds like you had a good (long) day at the course ;-)

JR said:
I've solidified my bag a bit and gotten much better at line shaping with Rhynos but also get great service out of VPs, Spiders, and Gators (FH). PDs work for me and a Stalker and Buzzz are so well suited for me that it's freaky. A little more power has made Surges lasers for me and I've dropped Destroyers, Bosses and such in favor of Katanas or Nuke for long distance work. Valks for high apexes that need to flip to anny or flat like getting over trees and still landing on tight fairways. I usually don't carry all of those but they all are instantaneously usable with full confidence. Since I get to almost as far with putters I rarely carry the Spider. What's funny is that I've got a slew of different PDs and rarely throw it on local courses that are reachable and tight with Stalkers which fits my small hand better and thanks to the consistently lower fade at shorter distances tends to stay on the fairways better. PDs start to fade as little above say 105 m. I get my Z 178 Buzzz flat without flipping farther than the Stalker starts to lose all or most of the fade. And Force is great in the winds and FH distance. Spikes for flipping drives and most putts.

With these I can tackle all but the craziest of winds when the Spirit handles headwinds and totally calm is no problem as well. I also have control in throws to every distance left, straight and right to different elevations. I'm happy but I've got soft and medium Ions on the way for fewer tree bounces and you know those are on offer here :) Also Ridge and Summit just to see what's up with them. Since putters get used on so many throws around here out to so many distances in so varying wind conditions I don't observe disc minimalism with them. Basically they are putters, mids and drivers out here so it's a matter of definition anyway what to call them. Since the roles for many holes are overstable driver, moderately overstable driver, understable driver, mids and putters. And those handle forehands and many trick shots. Only headwind role doesn't suit them. Only when one needs to scale to longer than putter drive distance does one need more discs. Which is dependent on the course and not that often on some of the courses here.

Surges used to be my favorite drivers a couple of years ago. Espicially around 168 g you can work these babies on most lines with great control.

JR said:
How are you doing? Competing a lot? Are you coming to Stockholm Disc Golf Open or The Scandinavian Open? I'll be there. I try to get to the Finnish championships and The Finnish Open.

I'm competing quite a lot, but mostly within Denmark. This year I'm prioritizing the Danish Tour, so there won't be that many travels abroad. I'm going down to the Berlin Classic this month and then to SDGO and SO next month, so I hope to see you there :) My friend Martin will probably also be able to make it there, even though he is on the waiting list for SDGO right now. I'm really looking forward to playing in Skellefteå :)

This setup is working quite well for me. I'm gonna try a low end plastic buzz, because the Z ones I have are just as stable now as when I bought them a year ago. Lately I've been thinking that I could perform just as well without the warlock for putting duties, but I really like the feel of the warlock in my hands, so I'm going to keep it in for now.

Also I need to get working on the Teebird, as the ones I have in the bag are almost unthrown.

distance drivers:
--------
3x 175g Star wraith (beat, ripe, new)
1x 175g Star max

fairway drivers:
------------------
2x 175g Star teebird (needs to be beaten in, new)
2x 175g Star eagle-x (beat, new)

midrange:
-----------
2x 174g Pro-D buzz
2x 178g Z buzz
2x 175g Pro (esp) aftershock

putters:
------------
2x 175g SSS warlock (stable for putting and approaches)
2x 175g SS wizard (new, beat)

Small adjustments. My experiment with the Pro-D buzz were great, so great that I'm not really throwing my Z lines any more... However the Pro-D beat in too quickly, so I'm gonna switch to X-lines gradually in the comming period. Who knows, maybe the X'es will replace the Z's completely :cry:

Also the teebird is put on the shelf for now, as I'm simply not progressing enough with it. Also I really like the leopard mold, so I'm going to try the leopard eagle-x combination for a while.

distance drivers:
--------
1x 175g Star max

fairway drivers:
------------------
1x 175g Champ leopard
3x 175g Star eagle-x (beat, getting beat, new)

midrange:
-----------
1x 174g Pro-D buzz
1x 177g X-line buzz
1x 178g Z buzz

putters:
------------
2x 175g SSS warlock (stable for putting and approaches)
2x 175g SS wizard (new, beat)

Gonna try the pure for a while. I love the warlocks, but am a little bit tired of not being able to find new ones.

distance drivers:
--------
1x 175g Star max

fairway drivers:
------------------
1x 175g Champ leopard

midrange:
-----------
1x 174g Pro-D buzz
2x 177g X-line buzz

putters:
------------
2x 175g zero-line pure

Pure's are out! Zero line beats in too quickly (just from hitting the basket), they feel strange in my hands and they are generally unpredictable for me (the low speed fade is too tricky for me)... Guess that short affair made me realize how much I love the warlock :)

Been a while, not that many changes in the larger picture. I'm moving towards pro plastics when possible. Bought a champion eagle-l to replace the leopard, which seemed very much like star plastic to me. It flew great, but I lost it after 10+ throws, so I guess I have to wait a little until a can find another one like it. Or beat in the old eagle some more, what ever comes first.

distance drivers:
--------
2x 175g Pro wraith (new, beat)
1x 175g Echo Star wraith (overstable)
1x 175g Star max

fairway drivers:
------------------
1x 175g Star leopard

midrange:
-----------
2x 177g X-line buzz (beat, new)

putters:
------------
2x 175g SSS Warlock
2x 175g SS Wizard

Do you drive with putters? SS is soft for durability and longevity. Have you tried 12x KC Aviars with www tooling on the bottom of the flight plate? They are taller and slicker but you can use bees wax for added grippyness.

I'm trying to work out fairway drivers in my bag right now, I'm wondering if you think the beat eagle can cover leopard type shots? Or is the leapord a must? Also how much more distance are you getting from the leo than the buzzz?

I'm in the sorry state of not owning an Eagle L at the moment. I threw a loaner over a year ago. It might beat into Leopardish. Back then i think i threw the Eagle around 350' and the Buzzz 270-280'. I should really throw EL again. For shorter annies the EL should be DX.

JR said:
Do you drive with putters? SS is soft for durability and longevity. Have you tried 12x KC Aviars with www tooling on the bottom of the flight plate? They are taller and slicker but you can use bees wax for added grippyness.

These days I'm all about grip, which is also why I'm happy with the SS wizards. I've had them for quite some time and they don't really beat in too much, so for now I'm not changing anything there. I'll keep the aviars in mind tho, if the wizards get too beat (its just too hard to find replacements here).

limonsock said:
I'm trying to work out fairway drivers in my bag right now, I'm wondering if you think the beat eagle can cover leopard type shots? Or is the leapord a must? Also how much more distance are you getting from the leo than the buzzz?

My eagles still cannot cover a full power turnover shot, which is why I still find that I need the leopard. I guess the guys on this board would probably also recomment that you throw DX eagles instead, as these beat in quicker/better. (Oops, that's what JR said :))

In practise the buzzz usually suffices for my turnover shots. I throw my buzz up to 100 m (330") and the leopard to to 120 m (390"), so there are some more meters go gain from the leopard, but the overlap is noticable.

Okay, admittedly I'm totally behind on the DGR reading and missed the whole Roc hype there seems to be going on here. Independently I have come to the conclusion that a flippy x-line buzzz is not the way to go. Most of the time they work rather well, but once in a while a sudden wind will knock it right over and drop out of the air. I'm pretty convinced that the rocs will perform better, so I'm thinking I'll try a combination of Roc and buzz for a while.

I'll be trying out some different scenarios:

1) Classic roc as main midrange and putter (this is quite popular here in Sweden) and it would be awesome if I could cover all approach and midrange shots with the classic roc.
2) KC rocs to replace the Aftershocks as overstable midrange. Replace stable and understable when the discs get worn.
3) R-pro rocs for stable to understable. Well I was adviced this by another player, so I'm giving it a try. They have the slanted rim, so already I'm a little sceptical (this however seems to be pretty nice for a power grip, but i'm more of a fan grip kind of guy on the midranges).
4) DX rocs for all slots. I only got one, but after the initial throws, this seemed like the nicest of the discs to me. I wouldn't be surprised if this approach will be the winner.

I'll probably keep a buzz in the bag for a long time for low straight tunnel shots.

distance drivers:
--------
2x 175g Pro wraith (beat, new)
1x 175g Star wraith (a little beat)
1x 175g Star max

fairway drivers:
------------------
1x 175g Star leopard

midrange:
-----------
2x 177g X-line buzz (beat, new)
2x 175g KC Pro Rocs (overstable and stable) - hopefully
2x 175g R-pro Rocs (stable and understable) - hopefully
1x 175g DX Roc
1x 175g DX Classic Roc

putters:
------------
2x 175g SSS Warlock
2x 175g SS Wizard

Buzzzes are more difficult to throw in 1 degree increments from 1 to 4-5 degrees of anny than KC Roc. Buzzz id fine for flat shots plus 5 and more degrees annies. Buzzz moves a lot sideways with just one degree miss in hyzer angle whereas a Roc will move way less off line with hyzer angle mess ups. This makes the Roc superior in tight tunnels straight or turning. I did test and will continue testing carrying Rocs and Buzzzes at the same time and will also chuck in Comets for fun.