• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mental breakdown tips

I've played with headphones on exactly once. I found I missed the quiet from being out on the course solo or socializing with others if I'm not playing solo. My life's got enough noise in it in other areas already.

That being said, do what works for you, but if you have headphones on you might not be able to hear someone yelling "Fore!" if there's an errant shot headed your way. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that.

I want to ask you one more thing: Do you listen to music from headphones while playing a tournament round? I see a lot of pros here in Finland doing that and I was wondering, that does it help your concentration and reduce the chance of the snowball effect from happening?

Everyone's different. So that's up to you to figure out if headphones work.

For me, wearing headphones makes me feel removed from the environment. This causes me to lose focus and throw worse shots. I would never consider using headphones on the course. For others, having some background music on can be a calming force that also helps narrow your focus to perform better.

Another tip is when you have a bad throw don't stand there and yell or pout, instead look at the line again and envision what you could have done while you are still standing there thinking about your shot. Once you move from that spot your mind should be on your next shot.
This little tip has helped me so much. I used to yell or turn away from my shot trying to block it out of my mind. I don't think that is healthy for your disc golf game so I decided I have to watch the entire shot and see what happened. Then I stand there and try to recreate my body motion and feel what I could have done different. This only takes a few moments and you don't need a disc, just go through the motions. Instead of getting angry I am analyzing and feeling what I did wrong and analyzing and feeling what I could have done just a bit different to make it a good shot. I am my own constructive critic instead of nonconstructive IE getting angry/dwelling on it.

I have to listen to music during my serious tourney rounds. Its the only way I can stay in my world and on my game between shots and not make my emotions fluctuate because of what other players are saying.
whether its a conversation other players in the group are having and I hear something familiar and want to chime in, or they say something offensive and it makes me feel mad or bad about something inside. all those things can throw me off my round mentally and the other players have no idea they impacted me. Therefore I put in both my headphones and block out all sounds as much as possible. of course within reason.
when i think about it i probably come off as a huge a$$hole, but its a tournament. its not a time to be casual and outgoing. outgoing is for weekly dubs.

I also make a super long playlist that will last me the whole round so I don't have to worry about changing the track or taking it out of my pocket.

That being said, do what works for you, but if you have headphones on you might not be able to hear someone yelling "Fore!" if there's an errant shot headed your way. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that.

I take and Assume this risk as a headphone wearer on the course. Its worth it to me.

How do you play with headphones? Only time I tried the cables kept hindering everything and it's awkward with a mp3 player in a pocket or clipped on belt.

How do you play with headphones? Only time I tried the cables kept hindering everything and it's awkward with a mp3 player in a pocket or clipped on belt.

i have the ipod in my mini pocket in my jeans(pocket inside of my right front pocket) so it doesnt move at all, then i wire my headphones between my shirt and outer layer behind my back so the cord basically runs up my spine and to my ears. Putting it between layers lets the cord move freely when I twist and doesnt get stuck on my skin like it does in the summer. I only wear a single layer in the summer, and have to put the cord under my shirt directly on my skin.

I never feel hindered or obstructed.

i have the ipod in my mini pocket in my jeans(pocket inside of my right front pocket) so it doesnt move at all, then i wire my headphones between my shirt and outer layer behind my back so the cord basically runs up my spine and to my ears. Putting it between layers lets the cord move freely when I twist and doesnt get stuck on my skin like it does in the summer. I only wear a single layer in the summer, and have to put the cord under my shirt directly on my skin.

I never feel hindered or obstructed.

How do you play tourney's with jeans on?

I've done it two ways. One, the player was in an arm band on my non-throwing arm. It's designed for runners, so it held the player securely and didn't interfere with anything. The cord ran up my sleeve and out through the neck of my shirt so it didn't get tangled. When I bought a new player that didn't fit in the arm band, I just stuck it in my back pocket and ran the cord under my shirt up my back.

In either case, I use one earbud on fairly low volume so I can still hear what's going on around me. For me, it's just there to fill the quiet moments when I otherwise might let my thoughts run. But also, it's the way I practice. Whenever I go out for a solo round or just out to do some putting, I will pop the earbuds in. It's always good to practice how you'd play in a tournament...doesn't hurt to do it in reverse too.

Peter-Tosh-U13655.jpg

I pray. Seriously I pray that I can keep calm. I clear my mind and have a short memory.

Breathing techniques work well. Just count breathes, 1 in, 2 out, up to 9. Repeat. Just think about the breathe coming into and out of the body. It's simple.

1. Play the course, not your opponents. Play the course one shot at a time.
2. It's not what happens, it's how you react.
3. When you make bad shots, wait until after the round to analyze them.
4. Don't try to make 'heroic comeback' shots, when you get in trouble.
5. You WILL make bogies, so allow yourself a certain number per round. (This number will depend on
skill level and experience).
6. The sooner you recognize your game is heading into a tailspin, the sooner you can put a band-aid on
it, and stop the bleeding

I wear one of legacy's "play with confidence" wristbands. Look at it before every shot. Sometimes just mentally reinforcing yourself to play confidently helps. It's a little thing but it makes a difference for me

i have the ipod in my mini pocket in my jeans(pocket inside of my right front pocket)

Just pointing out that this pocket is for pocket watches.

When I'm having a collapse I just take a deep breath and simplify my disc selection to concentrate on mechanics, get the smooth vibes back.

Forgetting a bad shot or a bad hole is crucial. I have trouble doing it, but I've really been trying to work on my mental aspect. I've noticed I can get down on myself and really hurt my own game, so I have been trying to make myself forget about it. Sometimes I'll actually make myself laugh or smile before a throw, just to give myself that positive attitude.

Also, I listen to music through earbuds on the course. I listen to music during putter practice, field work, competitive play, and sometimes casual play. My earbuds are designed for runners and bikers to let ambient noise in, so I can hear pretty much everything with the music off, and even some stuff with the music at half-volume. I do it to cut down on my audio-distractions in the round, whether I'm driving or putting, or just dealing with some annoying chatter on the course.. This way I never have to worry about someone screaming across the course about a hit putt, or have a card-mate apologize if they sneezed or talked during my throw. Actually, on Sunday I actually did have a cardmate apologize for whistling or something during a putt... I turned around and pointed at my earbuds, to let him know I didn't even hear the whistle.

Reasonable expectations is a good place to start.........you throw par all day long in practice, but post double bogie all day in tourney. So why would you hunt birdies in a tourney? (Just an example of unreasonable expectations, not saying this is u). Or maybe, " I need to make this 70 footer to save par" well, how often do we make 70 footers? And are we going to make the 30 foot come back? There's a double boigie vs a bogie.... No hero shots to try to recover from a bad shot. Hero shots, or low percentage, are a certain double bogie for me. Just some quick thoughts . It's damage control for most of us average joes, and not birdie hunting. Don't give up shots to to poor decisions or penalties. I was in the hunt in a grudge match with some locals a few week ends ago. I found a three birdie string to Tie for first with 2 holes to go. I had the longest drive of the group right up the pipe......but the little extra distance got me right up against a tree with low hanging branches. I had a line, fron a kneeled stance, but had to snap the putt to hold the line under the branches. Well with the crusty snow on on the ground, a miss was going to slide long. And it did, onto the sidewalk for ob, and I missed the comeback........:wall: gave the turkey right back with one bad decision that snowballed. :thmbdown: one of the better players I play with regularly sais he's not worried about birdies, just no melt downs. And that's all it take to beat most of us on an average day.

Last edited:
IF I start feeling mentally unstable, my body tenses up and I have to do a weirdo dance to get all the extra energy and frustration out.
Don't concentrate on your next shot until you are to the place you are throwing from. If you spend the whole time on the course thinking about your shots, your mentals will wear out and break down.

Latest posts