• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting tips for kids

Billbox

Hi!

My 9-year-old has recently been throwing a lot with me. Seems like the throwing itself doesnt need any tips from me, since the body adapts itself naturally.

However, the size and weight of the putter (even at 140g) seems to make putting and the tips that help me harder to follow.

What style of putting do you think would be useful for a kid and how would you approach teaching it?

No great tips other than a couple tidbits from my own experience.
1. They absolutely have to be having fun or they can tire of playing. Forcing a particular 'type' of putting on them can be counter-productive.
2. They will have quite smaller ranges for putting than adults or even teens. If a 9 yr old is hitting 15' putts with regularity, that is a good win. A good rule of thumb is 10% of their distance range should be a goal. Start them from 5', just working on form, until they can hit 95%+. Then back up 3-5', rinse and repeat.
3. More of a spin style seems to 'take' easier than a more push style.

Let their body tell you something. They will settle in to what is comfy for them. I have a 6 year old who is slightly autistic. Tried and tried to show him a backhand, but he keeps reverting to the cutest looking forehand roller on all his drives. At first, they went 20' Then 30'. Then 50', and he has had a couple get to 100'. By the time he is 10, he'll have a workable 250' forehand roller! The biggest thing is he has fun throwing it, so that is all that matters to me at this point.

Look for these dinosaur stamped discs. There is a "Triceratops" putter that Im going to guess weighs like 115g. My kids can throw those a lot easier than a full weight putter, but they are the correct diameter/feel still.

All of those discs are great for kids imo.

Hi!

My 9-year-old has recently been throwing a lot with me. Seems like the throwing itself doesnt need any tips from me, since the body adapts itself naturally.

However, the size and weight of the putter (even at 140g) seems to make putting and the tips that help me harder to follow.

What style of putting do you think would be useful for a kid and how would you approach teaching it?

No style whatsoever, just let them develop their own unique style naturally, interference with that will only complicate things.

I'd say the most important and helpful thing you could teach your kiddo at 9 would be getting them used to the lie and not foot faulting on their putts inside c1. That's a great habit to develop early and the one thing I see youngsters often have the most trouble with. Outside of that, just let er rip.

Look for these dinosaur stamped discs. There is a "Triceratops" putter that Im going to guess weighs like 115g. My kids can throw those a lot easier than a full weight putter, but they are the correct diameter/feel still.

All of those discs are great for kids imo.

Dino Discs!

My 7yo son bags a Stegosaurus. It's awesome for kids!

No style whatsoever, just let them develop their own unique style naturally, interference with that will only complicate things.

I'd say the most important and helpful thing you could teach your kiddo at 9 would be getting them used to the lie and not foot faulting on their putts inside c1. That's a great habit to develop early and the one thing I see youngsters often have the most trouble with. Outside of that, just let er rip.

Shoot i still have that issue myself. I had played awhile before learning in a casual round with a friend who competed that you couldnt fall forward inside c1. Buzzkill!

Completely agree with

1) Keep it fun. Don't force it.
2) Make sure they understand the basics of lie and a legal stance.

Can't tell you how many adult newbs at our league take illegal stances inside the circle, trying to get a cm or two closer.

If you're not feeling confident about a 10' putt, cheating your way to a 9'11" putt isn't going to help.

Last edited:
Hi!

I would say:

(1) spin putting over push putting . . . because little kids don't have long enough levers to push putt well but they can spin it out just like a mini-throw.

(2) when my son was 8 or 9 y/o one of his early putters was a lightweight Wolf (4,3,-4,1). Very easy to get it to the basket. As he got some older/stronger he moved up but a lightweight flippy putter was good for him when he was real small.

(3) As others have said, you don't have to teach much . . . if you just watch dg coverage he'll try to emulate different putting styles and probably pick up some good stuff. I've watched mine go through some phases . . . I remember a few week long period where he was putting like Emerson Keith (weird reachback throw putt) since Emerson was a smaller guy and so was he. Yours will try to copy Ricky or Paul or whoever and will figure out what works for him.

I faced this with a 12 year old the other day I've been giving basic lessons to.

Waiting for him to give the "i really wanna be good" spot before I really focus on form stuff with him.

You dont wanna kill kids fun with the "you must throw like this stuff"

However, the issue I run into with him is he wants to putt like I do, which is fairly direct, but not a spin putt.
And he has short little levers cause he's 12.

So, I taught him how to straddle. I didn't get to see what he ended up doing during thursdays doubles, cause he played on a different card, but I was told he was hitting some putts.

He played with us the other night and realized he needs to make putts, so he been out practicing in the yard trying to figure it out.
I know his putting distance improved a bit after I showed him straddling, but as I said, not 100% sure what hes doing now.

I've found with my son that a straddle putt worked best. His range is more limited that way, but otherwise he was trying to throw it, not putt, and was zipping 30' past the basket every single time.

See if they like making a game of it. Horse, etc. It'll either appeal or not.

Latest posts