• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mental game

aren

Bronze level trusted reviewer
This isn't a form post, but it's certainly affected by it — How do you overcome mental blocks with your game?

We just played in 98 degree heat and my disc stuck on an upshot release. I double-clutched, almost hit a couple of walkers and it seriously rattled me. One, that I threw the worst shot I've had in years, and two, that I almost hit a couple of people. And with the heat, that stickiness stayed the rest of the round. I completely lost confidence in my shot, and that's something I haven't experienced in a long time.

Any advice beyond just keep playing through it?

Go to a field and do some field work, but slow everything down. Start with low speed discs and just try to get back to a consistent form. Once you're able to throw your putters/mid ranges on a consistent basis, then you can move up to drivers.

For me, when I get out of whack, I bring it back to the basics.

I've been there. I'm a shanker. I try to determine WHY I shanked. Grip locked? Hands sticky/slippery? Poor form? Changing grip during the throw? Once I figure out WHY it happened, then I can usually do something to fix it. Hands sticky - clean off the disc and wipe hands clean. Slippery - use chalk. Poor form - what was wrong with it, adjust for it. Grip locked - this is rare and usually fixes itself. Changing grip - I have no clue why I do this, but I did it in ball golf also and it goes away on its own.

One bit of suggestion....change out discs. That disc shanked and almost hit someone....the next time you throw it you will think of that and either shank it again or pull it to avoid the shank. Give the disc a break for a while.

Everyone shanks a shot. It even happens at the highest level.

I don't let a bad shot or a bad hole get to me. Once the disc leaves my hand that shot is done no matter the result. The only shot that matters is the one I'm going to throw next so that's the one that matters in that moment. I can't take back the ones I've already thrown so I just trudge on.

For me, the best way to get past a bad shot is to think back to the last time I threw it successfully. I think treating a bad shot as if it was a one time thing helps (mistakes happen/perfection isn't realistic).

If it was just a casual round I usually blame my lack of focus/pre-shot routine. I think battling the humidity/heat/wet conditions takes a stronger mentality since it can build up over a round and I often can't get to that focus level & mentality in a casual round.

Remember 2 things

1) golf is a game of averages. So if you had a bad round (or multiple!) your skill as a player is determined by how you do on average

2) Sports psychology 101: You actually have no control of the outcome of a given shot or putt etc. Because if that was the case that meant that every time you shanked/missed it was because you CHOSE to miss/shank. The only thing you can do is practice to get your percentages of a good shot up (ie with good form you will shank less often)

And as kind of a third point, I'm of the opinion that you should practice so much that you don't think at all when you throw or putt, you're just executing

I have two thoughts on the mental game:

I spend enough time on the practice field having a pretty good idea how I should be throwing. But I still have occasional early and late releases, the early releases drive me insane they come with distance lost, but late comes with more distance and offline no harm on an open fairway, and they actually feel good. If no one is behind me, I throw a second disc that normally works out as a good throw to get it out of my system pick it up, and play the first disc. A tree hit on a solid throw or other objects no biggie throwing offline in the fairway, it happens. On the 18th tee or practice field I always make sure I'm wrapping it up with solid throw, I like leaving with confidence. I did have a shank on the practice field a few weeks ago with a mid of all discs. I walked to the disc to get it out of my system and head, brought it back to my tee area, and threw it again, all is well.

Despite what I've read on other threads that "its not the disc, but its you", I no longer believe that. Its possible to be throwing the wrong disc for my form or game. The past two years, and 6 months after I started playing the Star Mamba has been my primary driver great for a beginner. The past year I started feeling that I'm growing out of the Mamba there flippy, looking for something more stable. I started exploring and a few months ago I bought an MVP Orbital and loved it. Straight down the middle with fade, on an occasion I might tail off too soon. This past Friday bought a Wave, worked with it on the practice field, threw it on a wooded course Monday, more distance than the Orbital, with fade splitting most fairways. The Mamba hasn't been my main driver in about a month, but stays in the bag for turnovers only. I now have 10 MVP's in my bag and love throwing them from a 6 speed to a 13 speed they feel all the same throwing them, and its the first time I've ever been able to throw a 13 speed. For my purposes I'm slowly transitioning to the MVP's in my bag, but will still keep a few Innova's, Westsides, Discraft, and Lat 64 that I wouldn't think of replacing. So, perhaps some disc exploring to find a better fit.

My purpose in this long rant, that there are many variables to consider in The Mental Game. Now if I can just find that perfect C1 putter for the Mental Putt Game.

Last edited:
Whenever you get mad after a bad shot, focus on your breathing. Get rid of all your thoughts and just focus on your breathing for like 10-20 seconds. Most people just let the anger and fear take over and have no chance of throwing good shots anymore. You need to follow your breath and have an optimistic "I will do it" attitude.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Wait till people are out of range.

Probably doesn't always work, but barring tournaments, should be doable most places.

Out of 50+ parks I visited, the one hole I can't do it regular is a playground which I avoid anyway. I'm sure I will make it 9/10 but the 1/10 is what I avoid (even a good throw, that place is full of kicking trees up front).

This isn't a form post, but it's certainly affected by it — How do you overcome mental blocks with your game?

We just played in 98 degree heat and my disc stuck on an upshot release. I double-clutched, almost hit a couple of walkers and it seriously rattled me. One, that I threw the worst shot I've had in years, and two, that I almost hit a couple of people. And with the heat, that stickiness stayed the rest of the round. I completely lost confidence in my shot, and that's something I haven't experienced in a long time.

Any advice beyond just keep playing through it?

It happens. I just focus on the next shot. There is nothing you can do about the bad shot.

What helps me is to come up with a phrase I say to myself before I throw or putt. Something simple like I Got This.