• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Merrell Chameleon4 Mid Ventilator Gore-Tex

MN_DiscGolfer

Par Member
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Pro...meleon4-Mid-Ventilator-GORE-TEX?recID=8556020

Anyone thrown in these?/For awhile? I just picked up a pair at REI and have thrown one round in them, love them so far! I recently sprained my ankle pretty bad(still recovering I'm just stubborn and play on it with a brace and less power) and went with the mids for more support, a little awkward to get used to boots from just normal running shoes but it'll be nice as I play in the rain and snow too.

I'm just curious to see if any others currently throw or have thrown in these before and how they like them/how the soles hold up to the beating they take from disc golfing and elements.

Thanks for any info!!

Whats the sole pattern, is it the rock like pattern still?
I prefer the smaller pattern chameleons had before but none the less its a flagship series for merrell.
Ive been waiting for a sole change to buy any more.

I have the Chameleon 4's (non-mid). I've played about 30 rounds in them probably and they still look brand new. I don't see any wear at all on the soles.

Merrell's are well known for being very comfortable even without any break-in time. I would definitely agree with that. Very supportive, great grip, and it appears that they are going to last a LONG time.

After having 2 pairs of Merrells I will never go back. The first pair lasted 2 months before the heel blew apart. And the second pair which was the same as you got lasted 1 month before the pads on the bottom started to tear off. Because I won't go back to Merrell.

I have the stretch 4's and they're my favorite dg shoe I've tried so far. Thought about getting this model next since it'd probably do a litle better during wet fall days and the winter when it's not a blizzard.

After having 2 pairs of Merrells I will never go back. The first pair lasted 2 months before the heel blew apart. And the second pair which was the same as you got lasted 1 month before the pads on the bottom started to tear off. Because I won't go back to Merrell.

Exactly why I go out of my way to find something with a Vibram sole.

Exactly why I go out of my way to find something with a Vibram sole.

These do have Vibram soles. I have a pair of these with about 30 rounds on them. They seem to be holding up well. I can tell a slight bit of wear on the sole from rotating but not enough to even start worrying about.

I'm still rocking my MOAB Mid Gore-Tex from 2 years ago. Love these boots man. Can't believe they have lasted this long.

Awesome, thanks for all the input! I made sure to get them with a membership from REI so if needed I can return them within a year if they wear exessively which I will only need a couple months to tell that.

The soles on these are one of the main reasons I went with them over other models, it looked to be molded up higher and around the edges of the shoes instead of just stuck on the bottom. We'll see how they hold up, only 3 rounds in them so far but the first was at Hyland Hills ski area here in MN and it was a bit muddy in places, they held up great and with my currently healing sprained ankle I would have never been able to finish that round in the normal running shoes I used to play in.

Only thing i've noticed that I might not like so far is the mid height rubs on my leg in places(even with higher socks) unless I tie them really tight, so once the ankle is fine again I may swap for a low height pair.

I have been wearing Merrell Moabs for my DG for about 4 months, no sign of significant wear. For any shoe you will get the "My shoes fell apart before they rung them up at the counter" comment but Merrell is a good company. They make good shoes, no complaints with mine.

mn golfer rei is lifetime not limited to just a year. i would not take advantage of that but it is a lifetime satisfaction guarantee no questions asked.

i meant do not abuse rei lifetime guarantee. I worked there for a few years and never turned anyone away even though i wanted to its policy to take it back.

oh lifetime eh? i didnt know that!(I used a friends membership since I don't live close enough to an rei to really benefit getting one myself :( ) and yea i dont plan on taking advantage of it. I just like the fact that if I buy some expensive pair of shoes and they don't turn out to be what i was exactly looking for i can swap them for something else instead of just having to bite the bullet and fork over more cash a few months later to essentially "try" something new. I would prefer it if this pair lasted for multiple years to justify the price! I tear thru reg. running shoes(ex. nikes, asics, addidas, etc.) in about 3-4 months of throwing and want something thatll last for awhile thru the abuse and elements of disc golfing.

yea im sure they have plenty of people that will abuse a system like that. its sad really, i know people who use it to never have to buy "insert product here" again because when it goes bad they can exchange it for new. and having worked in retail myself I feel that that is a load of bs. If i like a product enough to want it again im definitely going to buy it to support the manufacturer(also the reason I went with merrell over keen in the first place for dg shoes, I have a few pairs of their barefoot shoes and love them so figured id keep the business going that way until i find reason not to)

That's strange. I've had my pair for a few years now. I've had to replace the insoles but that's about it.

yeah there are people at REI that take advantage, but they are honestly the minority. I talked a few people out of their supposed satisfaction or lack there of.

We once exchanged a tent that was 16 years old and tattered and torn everywhere looked as though it went through a washer with razor blades. The tent just got old. still gave him credit for a new tent.

Had ladies who returned clothes as their kids grew out of them.

We had a guy hike the AT and come in to return the boots. I was like what? are you serious after that many miles?, we do not rent shoes out, still exchanged them. Something like 1 in 3000 members abuse this system. All sorts of stuff no questions.

ITs their culture to make the customer happy, but they do track people that are abusers and eventually although very rarely their membership gets revoked.

Awesome, thanks for all the input! I made sure to get them with a membership from REI so if needed I can return them within a year if they wear exessively which I will only need a couple months to tell that.

I did not have good experiences with Merrels...thankfully I bought them from REI and exchanged them for a pair of garmonts that looked pretty good. Only lasted 2 months.

Upgraded again to a pair of Vasque trail/hiking shoes that had goretex. This pair lasted about 1.5 years...played a ton of DG in them.

Now I am in a pair of waterproof shoes from ahnu. 1.5 years so far....hoping they last till next spring.

I have a pair of asolos for winter conditions...also purchased from REI 3 years ago. If they hold up for 2 or 3 more winter seasons, then I will be happy about paying $200 for them.

Any disc golfer that is tough on their shoes should get them from REI.

I have been happy with Vasque but my current pair feels like something has come loose in the heel cup area and can rub my foot raw.

Which pair are you talking about?

Most merrells have them and I know my chameleon stretch 3 & 4's did.

Anyone know a place wih some good dg shoes on sale? Buying a new pair this month in preparation for the colder, wetter weather. Something in between my super light summer shoes and my snow boots.

Latest posts