• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Merrell Moab Ventilators

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I am seriously thinking of trying these as my main disc golf shoes for dry weather. I slipped in a hole last Saturday, and I think my waterproof hiking boots kept me from really messing up my ankle. Because of that, I would like to try some shoes with ankle support. I know these are not cheap, but neither is loosing work because of an injury. I would like to hear from anyone who has tried the Merrell Moab Ventilators Mid Top, like the picture below , and let me know what you think. I saw them at REI and tried them on about 8 months ago, and I do remember them feeling very comfortable. Please give me your input. Thanks:

merrellMoabventilator.jpg

I say go with them. I have the moab's but the low tops and I love them. They breathe and they are comfortable. I've been abusing them for the last two months and they have been holding up well.

Yea, I want something that is going to preform good, and breath good, because the summers get quite warm around here, and my waterproof boots get too warm to wear, except in the winter and on rainy, muddy days.

They are the best I have tried. I play 5-6 rounds a week and they support me very well. I am on my second pair of Moab Mids. Mine have lasted almost two years each. If think the price is high, consider all the rounds I play and I have an annual investment of about 40 bucks in shoes. The support and comfort they provide is unsurpassed.

I have 300+ rounds on mine and although they could use some new inserts(which i'll get soon) the actual shoe has another 300+ rounds left in it easily.

Last edited:
I only play about 3-4 times a month, with some time at the pratice field in between, so it sounds like these will last me a while. Thanks for the info.

Great shoes I'm on my 3rd year on the same pair. I don't disc too much with them. They are light and breathe great. Consider grabbing them at Rei, they have a satisfaction guarantee, and will replace them if they fail.

You don't necessarily need the mids for ankle support. The footbed is wide and designed to keep your foot in the bed of the shoe and keep your ankles from rolling. That's the main difference between a good hiking shoe and a trail running shoe. Go with the lows, especially if you're in the Houston area where it's so hot and humid all the time and the hills are at a minimum...and keep them tied nice and tight so they do what they were designed to do.

I have the low tops. Wore out the laces in one, but other than that, they've held up very well after more than a year of abuse on the course.

And they're super comfortable.

I use the low-top Goretex version and I'm on year 3 with them. They're awesome. Oh, and what sidewinding said. I've played some serious hills (like ski hills) and many, many glacial boulder fields in the low tops and I've had plenty of support.

I have 3 pair, mid, mid gtx, and low, the vibram soles have held up really well, and I've had no qc problems with any, my only qualm is that I can usually only find the Walnut color in my size - 14W

The loops for the laces will snap within a year. That was my experience with the the Moabs. I suggest finding ones with leather loops like the Chameleons.

How are these with foxtails? They look like magnets for them.

I bought some Merrell Moabs last year. They are the low cuts. I've worn them 3-4 times a week when I play. Very comfortable. However they started showing significant wear almost from the get go. That said the wear hasn't ruined the shoe yet. I think if you play on a lot of rocky terrain they might wear out pretty quickly.

FYI: There is a known issue with the Moab design. There have been many cases of the shoe seperating from the sole in as little as a few months. I contacted Gore Tex when mine(low top version) came apart and was given my choice of any other Gore Tex product. Picked em out and they were delivered within a week.

I've had a pair of Radius Hikers for about 3 years now. I've only had to replace the insoles. Vibram makes some amazing stuff. The bottoms barely look used even on my pivot foot.

403093_L1

I put them through the paces no doubt, over 3yrs, suffering water infiltration after a year or so, and ended up with some sole separation on the left toe. I did some mending and nowadays they see mostly yard work and warehouse duties. None the less, they're fine boots to be sure!

thex9.jpg

OK, but what about the mesh? You don't get thorns, foxtails, goatheads, burrs, etc stuck in there?

FYI: There is a known issue with the Moab design. There have been many cases of the shoe seperating from the sole in as little as a few months. I contacted Gore Tex when mine(low top version) came apart and was given my choice of any other Gore Tex product. Picked em out and they were delivered within a week.

Damn, I didn't think to do this. Mine separated at ~2.5yrs and it's been a year since. Gorilla glue worked for awhile... but I moved on to some Keen so, no matter.

Latest posts