• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Merrell Moab Ventilators

I have moab low waterproofs and they are great. I've been playing with them for about a month and they are really starting to break in and be super comfortable. I get plenty of support from the lows, and I'm sure the ventilators will be even more comfortable and breathable.

On a side note, I am not disputing the fact that some people have had problems with their shoes, but doesn't it seem odd that some people use them for 2 years and you have "gone through 3 pairs this month?"

I wear a Merrell boot for winter disc golf, they are great... next time I need a new low cut DG shoe, Merrell is the 1st brand I am looking at.

I have had 2 pair of lows and 1 pair of mids. I use the lows when the course will be dry and the mids when the course will be wet, since they are waterproof but heavier. The first pair of lows did have a sole that separated. The second pair of lows has had no problems. Now the waterproof layer is a Merrill version, but is not Gore-tex, at least not when I bought mine at Bass Pro at Christmas. It is waterproof, as I have stepped in water holes many times.

OK, but what about the mesh? You don't get thorns, foxtails, goatheads, burrs, etc stuck in there?

Yeah you do. I was constantly picking things out of my pair. I had the lows, wore 'em for about 2 years. I give them a B overall. They definitely aren't water or weatherproof or even resistant in any way. Just walking through dew during morning tourney rounds they get heavy and soggy. They are lightweight however, and inexpensive compared to other shoes.

I've made it a point recently to try playing in some of the other shoes I have (New Balance trail running shoes, my current DG shoes which are Keens, Nike TR Free) and outside of weather considerations I honestly haven't noticed a huge difference...I'll forget which shoes I'm actually wearing sometimes.

If you're looking for cheap and lightweight (relative to hiking shoes) the ventilators are a good buy. Durability and support...mediocre.

My New Balance 1201's are great for winter and wet days

NewBalance1201.jpg

I just need something for the hot summers around here, that will give me some ankle support. The New Balance 1201's are too hot in the summer unless its wet and muddy. They also work great in the winter

I have a pair of Merrells and I'm loving them so far. Vibram soles are a must from any brand as nothing else seems to stand up to the twisting motion during drives on concrete tees. Despite having Gore-Tex, mine are not that waterproof, which is fine by me and absolutely no suprise. I just wear merino wool socks so if my feet get wet it's no big deal. They've got a decent pair of inserts in them from the factory, and the ankle support is good. I like that they come in half sizes as well as wide and I especially like that I'm able to get them from REI.

Got mine here:
http://www.rei.com/product/833646/m...or-waterproof-hiking-boots-mens-2011-closeout