• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Met Eric McCabe today

JFibeZZZ

Birdie Member
At the DD Doo Dah in Wichita Ks. What a cool guy. I'm sure plenty of people on here have met him, but I've watched him since I got into disc golf and he's easily my favorite pro. He confirmed that with the conversation we had today, which included some good dirt on other professionals. I made the mistake of bringing up the Japan open, he was still not happy whatsoever for missing out on it. Always cool to watch a pro of his caliber play your local courses.

Yep, nice guy. Does a lot for disc golf and puts on great events. Did you meet Ralph? He's without a doubt the coolest dog in disc golf.

No either he didn't bring him along or he kept in the DD RV the whole time I was with him. Would love to meet him, he looks chill.

I'd love the chance to meet and play a round with McCabe someday, he's one of my favorites to watch and seems like a really cool, level headed guy. If you don't already, check out the disc golf answer man podcast once a week with McCabe and CoolDaddySlickBreeze.

I took a clinic put on by Eric last year at the Canadian Championship and he really is the nicest guy. If I was to play a round with any top pro, it would be him!

I met him at Bowling Green Ams a few years back when Kansas/Kentucky playen in NCAA finals. He was wearing a Jayhawks T-shirt and I was ribbing him a little saying that his boys were going down. He was totally cool and ribbing me back. I have to say that all the top pros that I have met have been pretty down to earth guys.

Those are both cool stories. And yeah I think McBeth would be the other pro I would like to meet who seems humble. Eric confirmed my suspicions that Nikko has a terrible attitude and is no fun to play with, and that Ricky isn't much better.

McBeth was very welcoming to the fans and players at the GBO. I saw him at the shop a couple weeks before that and he was happy to sign a roc3 I bought just for the occasion. He also took pictures with a friend of mine's kid who is a big fan of his at the player meeting and pro player panel. I enjoy watching him play for sure. He shows up to compete every round and does it without the tantrums or an attitude even when things aren't going his way. Avery catches a lot of flack but he's never been anything but nice and helpful to me. Feldberg is simply weird and I think puts a lot of people off by that but he's nice and speaks his mind so I support him. He was friendly to everyone at the dagger signing and took the time to answer my questions about his sponsorship with Onnit. That's really all the ones I've had the pleasure of dealing with. I'm sure a lot more are great guys. I really think Johne Mccray seems cool and he's tearing it up this year touring. I didn't get a chance to meet him at the gbo this year but I hope he returns and I can.

Meeting a few of the owners and designers for westside discs and Latitude 64 was also great. They came to the team trilogy party we had at jones park, signed discs, talked to the players, and even enjoyed the nasty pizza hut I bought at the last minute without complaint. I didn't know I was in charge of running it until the night before. :eek:

Oh I almost forgot. Ron Convers Jr. is awesome. He's always the nicest guy you can find at most DD tournaments and loves to answer questions and help out players. He's done lessons for people in Emporia at a price that is beyond fair. Big thumbs up to that guy.

As a testament to how nice Ron Convers Jr. is, at the Des Moines Challenge I played on his card third round and it was raining nearly they entire time. He kept holding his umbrella over the head of one of the other guys on our card when he was making upshots and putting just to help him keep his discs dry. The guy didn't even know until Ron told him after the third or fourth time.