• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Metal to Ace ratio

Bikinimower

Par Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Played 2 rounds yesterday and was having a good day. Hit metal 5 times but not one of them stuck. Not complaining though I'll take that any day.

Got me thinking though, for every ace you guys get how many shots do you figure slip through the chains, smack off the side of the basket, or hit the pole?

I'm gonna say, and this is just a wild guess. For every one ace I get I'm gonna say 30 more hit the basket but don't stick. For 5 aces that's 150 times I hit metal. In 10 years of playing that's only 15 times a year I strike the basket. Feels right to me

Do I just have bad luck or is that the standard?

I've got 4 or 5 aces but I don't ever remember hitting metal :\
On longer approach shots (200' and beyond) I'd say I hit metal probably 20-30 times for everyone I make.

I should note that I never play for the ace, always the bird, so that might skew my numbers some. I prefer a slide it up the basket tee off over a possible glory probable long putt.

For shots that could go in, I have had five or six aces since that last time one cut through. I've hit the cage and the lollipop, and grazed the chains in the meantime, but I don't count those since they never had a chance to go in in the first place. I've had great luck as far as aces sticking.

I'd say my overall metal:ace ratio is something like 4:1

Excellent point. Can't tell you how many times I had a crack at an ace only to end up with a near miss big skip long putt.

Still, gotta love the rush you get from it

Four aces, probably about 1-1 ratio, not counting the pole underneath.

If I don't ace it, I usually miss the basket completely.

I don't remember all of my metal hits, but I splashed chains about four times before I got an ace. Now I have two. So I would suggest maybe 2:1 chain outs to ces in my experience. Metal hits would be more common of course than either, especially if you count hitting the pole.

Its the opposite for me. It seems that for me its an Ace or nothing. I've had nine Aces and four metal hits two of which blew through the chains.

Off the top of my head? One ace, three hits. I don't come close that often. I've never hit chains without it sticking though. I can imagine how frustrating that must be.

I've only hit the chains and splashed out once, which would've been my first ace. I've got 9 or so now. I've only hit the basket like 3 times. For me it's either in, or its not. and I suck at math so idk what my ratio is.

At an ace race that used DGA Mach Lite the ratio was between 7 and 8 to 1, with "metal" meaning ANY metal, including the legs and the flag.

I always go for the ace on casual rounds. Just this week I have hit metal three times and all three holes were right around 300 ft. Two basket hits and one chain out. I feel like 300 ft holes are just my sweet spot though and almost always birdie them if it's a slight hyzer shot. The hyzer helps alot because if it doesn't go in its hitting the ground close to the pole. Ive only hit two aces but I couldn't even begin to count splash outs and metal hits. The splash outs are the absolute worst if some chains are missing.

i hit the basket's pole off the tee more than any other part of it when i do make contact with itz

as far as how many times i've hit the cup, the chains, the top, or the number plate, i have no idea. i've knocked the number plate off a basket with a teebird before

Latest posts