• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Meteor

discspeed

* Ace Member *
I've thrown the Meteor for most of the last year and a half. About a month or so ago I decided to give Comets a try and put the Meteor aside. Tonight I picked it back up and played a couple of rounds.

I don't wish to take any credit away from the Comet, but with the speeds I throw at I find the Meteor to be more versatile. I absolutely killed it with my Meteor tonight. The Comet cleaned up my finesse shot, and that transferred to my touch with my Meteor. I was throwing it on all lines with success. If thrown like a Comet it would just hold the line and fly eerily similar, but if I popped it a little more I could get a controlled turn that would just barely come out at the end. It is a much better partner for my favorite disc as well. If I was to go with the Comet, I would almost have to go Comet only, and I'm not ready to give up my Buzzz by any means. The Comets will take a back seat for a while. I think I will love the Comet when I'm 50... :lol:

I won't again forget how great the Meteor flies. I was using it for straight shots a little shorter than I like throwing the Buzzz as well as longer turnover shots and short hyzers. I played a 3 disc round with my glow Teebird, the Meteor, and my Voodoo. My Meteor got the most throws by far.

discspeed said:
I've thrown the Meteor for most of the last year and a half. About a month or so ago I decided to give Comets a try and put the Meteor aside. Tonight I picked it pack up and played a couple of rounds.

I don't wish to take any credit away from the Comet, but with the speeds I throw at I find the Meteor to be more versatile. I absolutely killed it with my Meteor tonight. The Comet cleaned up my finesse shot, and that transferred to my touch with my Meteor. I was throwing it on all lines with success. If thrown like a Comet it would just hold the line and fly eerily similar, but if I popped it a little more I could get a controlled turn that would just barely come out at the end. It is a much better partner for my favorite disc as well. If I was to go with the Comet, I would almost have to go Comet only, and I'm not ready to give up my Buzzz by any means. The Comets will take a back seat for a while. I think I will love the Comet when I'm 50... :lol:

I won't again forget how great the Meteor flies. I was using it for straight shots a little shorter than I like throwing the Buzzz as well as longer turnover shots and short hyzers. I played a 3 disc round with my glow Teebird, the Meteor, and my Voodoo. My Meteor got the most throws by far.
never really gave one a fair shot, the couple times i tossed one though it did seem like a nice little turnover mid, I just love the simplicity of my DX Rocs too much to quit. Glad you finally got that comet dust out of your eyes though :wink: while they are one of the funnest golf discs to throw EVER and excel at some shots i was never able to get the understable lines i wanted from them (even a beat X!) and they are pewp in the wind

discspeed said:
The Comet cleaned up my finesse shot, and that transferred to my touch with my Meteor.

That's one of the really cool things about Comets!
Discraft could give it a slogan... "Training Bra"... use it until you get where you want to be then move onto something that might be a better fit. Practice on the Comet then go throw your Rocs, Meteors, Breeze, Wildfire (or whatever you like) better than before.
I used the Comet as training wheels and found that I like its ability to do certain shots. So I kept it for certain shots.
I don't think I would ever carry ONLY Comets in my midrange slot... but it does get 90% of my midrange throws. I got comfy with it and so I use it alot. Sometimes I force it to do things that other discs might do better but I know the Comet really well so I keep picking it over the Roc.

marmoset said:
discspeed said:
The Comet cleaned up my finesse shot, and that transferred to my touch with my Meteor.

That's one of the really cool things about Comets!
Discraft could give it a slogan... "Training Bra"... use it until you get where you want to be then move onto something that might be a better fit. Practice on the Comet then go throw your Rocs, Meteors, Breeze, Wildfire (or whatever you like) better than before.
I used the Comet as training wheels and found that I like its ability to do certain shots. So I kept it for certain shots.
I don't think I would ever carry ONLY Comets in my midrange slot... but it does get 90% of my midrange throws. I got comfy with it and so I use it alot. Sometimes I force it to do things that other discs might do better but I know the Comet really well so I keep picking it over the Roc.

I'm going to keep a couple Comets around and I'm sure when I'm struggling with my straight shots/taking speed off in the future I'll pull it out for a one disc "doctor" round with my Comet to remind me what finesse is.

I am in the same boat as discspeed...the comet has finally fallen to the wayside in favor of the meteor. On tight wooded shots, I like to throw it like I would a comet and have it start out with a slight bit of hyzer and then flip flat and ride that straight line for the entire shot. It is a beautiful thing.

I'm not pooing on your enjoyment of the meteor, but you should know by now that there is no magic disc. At your skill level and capability, I'd bet there's a lot of discs you could throw in a similar slot. The Meteor just has your confidence and it's one you like. There are way too many discs out there for what is needed to throw well and how many times do we all (at various skill levels) change our disc selection? While there are slight to moderate variances in the chunk of discs in the middle stability range, I don't believe any of them go so far off base that a capable player can't execute with them.

To all those that will read this post and want to go buy a meteor because you love it... it's just another disc. It's not a magic disc. What you have in your bag is probably just fine. Learn to throw it. At least you have some time invested in learning how to throw it already.

black udder said:
I'm not pooing on your enjoyment of the meteor, but you should know by now that there is no magic disc. At your skill level and capability, I'd bet there's a lot of discs you could throw in a similar slot. The Meteor just has your confidence and it's one you like. There are way too many discs out there for what is needed to throw well and how many times do we all (at various skill levels) change our disc selection? While there are slight to moderate variances in the chunk of discs in the middle stability range, I don't believe any of them go so far off base that a capable player can't execute with them.

To all those that will read this post and want to go buy a meteor because you love it... it's just another disc. It's not a magic disc. What you have in your bag is probably just fine. Learn to throw it. At least you have some time invested in learning how to throw it already.

Disabler :lol:

And there is too a magic disc...it's made by Gateway.

But in all reality, he is right...there is no real need to go out and buy every mold that people like on this board. It is just a matter of if you want to beat a roc into submission to turn over for you...or if you want to beat the hell out of a buzzz to make it a turn over...or if you would rather just buy a disc that will turn over for you. It is all about personal preference in how you like to throw.

black udder said:

I almost started a thread about this exact point. I switch discs often, most certainly too often. Strangely enough it rarely affects my play. I go out every week with just about anything and shoot the same. Once in a while I find a disc that actually fills a hole in my game and makes a difference, but more often than not its the excitement of something new and the OCD idea that the perfect bag will up my performance. As far as I can tell everyone who gravitates to this site has the same problem. This is the exact idea that had me messing with the Comet in the first place. After I tried it for a month I determined that it was not going to dramatically affect my game, so I went back to the Meteor which I have had a lot more throws with. The cool thing is, like I mentioned before, that I can throw the Meteor flat and smooth better than I could before due to the Comet practice.

Your post sounded a bit as though I represent a part of yourself that you are not always pleased with. Good post. That's something all of us need a little more time remembering, sobering as it may be..

discspeed said:
black udder said:

I almost started a thread about this exact point. I switch discs often, most certainly too often. Strangely enough it rarely affects my play. I go out every week with just about anything and shoot the same. Once in a while I find a disc that actually fills a hole in my game and makes a difference, but more often than not its the excitement of something new and the OCD idea that the perfect bag will up my performance. As far as I can tell everyone who gravitates to this site has the same problem. This is the exact idea that had me messing with the Comet in the first place. After I tried it for a month I determined that it was not going to dramatically affect my game, so I went back to the Meteor which I have had a lot more throws with. The cool thing is, like I mentioned before, that I can throw the Meteor flat and smooth better than I could before due to the Comet practice.

Your post sounded a bit as though I represent a part of yourself that you are not always pleased with. Good post. That's something all of us need a little more time remembering, sobering as it may be..

QFT!!!
Two great posts.

I made a post like that a year or so ago. I too change my discs constantly, although I've had the same bag for close to 2 months now, and my scores really don't get effected. I'm at the point where I know I'm not going to be shooting 1000 rated rounds and I don't get in as much golf as I used to, so I just do it for the fun OCD factor. I like to know what's out there. That's why I got on the GB back pack asap.

I just love tossin discs and seein how each one flies.

discspeed said:

Without a doubt. I used to carry a ton of discs (I still carry a lot) and switch them out regularly. My game has never really suffered much, but the one constant is that I'm inconsistent and plastic won't change that, practice will. As you said, I think there are some discs that might just fit a person - however you throw, disc X just fits your style and shot choices, but largely, once you reach a certain skill level, you can be handed any disc, told what it is and throw it reasonably well.

For me, part of the fun involves rotating discs in/out of the bag. For example, in the midrange field, there are a lot of discs between the Drone and the Sonic that can be thrown well for an advanced player. Sometimes it's just fun to put another disc in the bag and throw it for awhile. Doesn't mean you don't like or can't throw the previous one, just fun to change it up. There are lots of discussions about Roc vs Buzz/Wasp, but I see no reason why you can't throw them both at different times. They're just not necessary in the same bag.

I wish I had your distance as it would certainly change what I can do with some discs. With a comet, I can get it up to the required speed for it to do whatever I want. The Meteor requires more of a throw for me to get it up to speed, thus, it increases my changes for errors.

dgdave said:

That statement sums up what I LOVE about disc golf. Always have, always will. When I get down about myself with regard to my tourney play, it is always easy to remember how much fun throwing a new disc is. I feel like I'm just beginning to really enjoy the game of GOLF and competition, but your quote is why I started playing and it is what will keep me playing regardless of my PDGA rating. If I cared nearly as much about the game of golf as I enjoy throwing discs, I'd probably be rated 1000 by now. :wink:

discspeed said:
After I tried it for a month I determined that it was not going to dramatically affect my game, so I went back to the Meteor which I have had a lot more throws with.

This is the part that stood out to me. One can't help but try a new discs if you visit this site with any regularity, how can you resist a comet when it has a 50 page long thread or a striker when it's 30 pages long. I usually have a core bag of 3 wizards, 3 rocs, some eagles and SOLFs and I usually have a few tester discs in there. I'll throw those tester discs for a while and think "wow I can shape this shot or that shot way easier with this new disc." then I throw it for another month and find myself gravitating back to throwing my old reliable disc on the hole and that new disc gets put up on the trade list or in the closet for a certain course or hole. Which is because once you attain a certain skill level you can shape any basic shot with any disc worth a damn. So you fall back on the discs you are most familiar with or feel the most comfortable in your hand

If you visit this site you are obviously interested in staying up on the latest DG news and want to know about new discs and new concepts that are out there. It is easy then to fall prey to buying new discs all the time and thinking that one will fill the role you didn't know you needed filled.

Really out of all the discs I've tried because of here the one that really stuck was the SOLF and the striker might stick now.

Find I'm using the meteor when I shoot the disc hard and am looking for a swooping tunnel shot or a turning anhyzer.

But I added a single comet back in my bag to do little soft shots. It is way lighter than everything else and yeah probably ass in the wind but i never use it in the wind. I use it mostly on the tight wooded holes around here and if I get open space I'm finding ,myself going to my putter more and more.

Meteor is a fun disc. Offers a lot of neat options. Keeps offering me more and more as my game gets a little better.

I felt like an outcast around here while everyone was going crazy about Comets...maybe they still are. They almost had me convinced to try one, but after a little further investigation last week (I think discspeed chimed in on my Meteor vs Comet question), I decided to stick with the Meteor. It holds any line up to 300', maybe a little shorter for hyzers, and gives me that nice turnover out to 330' when thrown hard, which is a shot that I don't think I'd get with the Comet. Perfect compliment to my Buzzz, and I decided about a week ago to forget the Comet stuff and just stick with the Meteor.

All I have are my two ESP Ace Race Meteors, are the normal production ESP's any different?

dgdave said:

Yepper.

I'm not pooing on your enjoyment of the meteor, but you should know by now that there is no magic disc.

Except for the ones with the pair of aces on 'em, those actually are magic. But he's right about all the rest.

emiller3 said:
All I have are my two ESP Ace Race Meteors, are the normal production ESP's any different?

I have an Ace Race Meteor, but the rest I have are normal production. The ace race one feels really nice (stiff) and flies kind of stable compared to the rest. I wouldn't say the difference is great at all. Like all production discs there is quite a bit of variability in terms of plastic feel (soft vs stiff) and dome that make some Meteors better than others for certain people. I've thrown MANY good ones and I think there are more good than not.

discspeed said:
emiller3 said:

I have an Ace Race Meteor, but the rest I have are normal production. The ace race one feels really nice (stiff) and flies kind of stable compared to the rest. I wouldn't say the difference is great at all. Like all production discs there is quite a bit of variability in terms of plastic feel (soft vs stiff) and dome that make some Meteors better than others for certain people. I've thrown MANY good ones and I think there are more good than not.
How long does it take for you to notice a flight change in the Meteor? I've been throwing the same Meteor since I got the pair from the Ace Race, and I thought it hadn't changed its flight at all. The other day I went and threw its twin, which is still pretty much brand new, and it was noticeably more stable...like it stayed straight instead of turning over with a 330' hyzer flip. What does your Meteor wear cycle look like?