• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan Disc Trip July 15-17

Swisher Streets

Double Eagle Member
Below is a rough outline of what four of us have planned so far. Anyone have any feedback or know of any conflicting tournaments going on that weekend?

Friday - 4 courses:
7:30 AM - Arrive at Flip City (4.85) - 24 holes. 5838 ft. Estimated Duration 3.5-4 hours - $3 all day.
11:00 -11:30 - Leave Flip City
11:30 - 12:00 - Arrive at Leviathan (4.38) - 24 holes. 5732 ft. – 8772 ft. Estimated 3 -3.5 hours - $1 to play per day.
- We could eat lunch somewhere before instead
2:30 - 3:00 Leave Leviathan
2:45 - 3:30 - Eat lunch (or eat lunch before Leviathan)
- Jamesport Brewing Co is 5 min from Leviathan or we can eat somewhere faster
3:45 - Arrive at Mason County Parks - 2 Courses of 24 holes each (may skip some holes on one of the courses). Estimated 6.5 hours - $1 donation to play per day
- Beauty (3.94) 24 holes. 5711 ft. Most under 300 ft long
- Beast (4.16) 24 holes. 7093 ft. 18 holes of Goliath are backwards of this course. This course is a lot shorter than Goliath though.
- Goliath (4.05) 24 holes. 8171 ft. Longest course in park. 18 holes of Beast played backwards with 6 additional holes
9:00 - 9:30 Leave Mason County Parks - Luddington, MI
9:30 - 10:00 PM Dinner/Hotel
- Can try to find somewhere close to the park to eat or by wherever our hotel is
- Hotel in Luddington

Saturday - 2 courses, 2 breweries
8:00 Fallasburg Park (3.90) - 18 holes - 6040 ft - 2.5-3.0 hours
11:00 - Leave Fallasburg Park 30 min drive to Founders
11:45 - Founders tour - 60 minutes - $10
12:45 - Leave Founders - 45-60 minute drive to Kalamazoo
1:30-1:45 - Arrive at Bell's Brewing
1:45-3:00 - Lunch @ Bell's Brewing
3:00-4:00 - Tour Bell's Brewing
4:00 - Leave Bell's Brewing - 15 - 30 min drive to one of:
- Oshtemo Township Park (3.8) - 18 holes - 5078 ft.–6709 ft. - 2.5-3 hours
- Robert Morris Park (3.8) - 18 holes - 5845 ft - 2.5-3 hours
- Vickburgs Rec. Area (3.88) - 18 holes - 5180 ft.–6815 ft 2.5-3 hours -2.5-3 hours
4:30 - Arrive at one of above courses
7:00 - Leave disc golf course for dinner/hotel near Kalamazoo, MI

Sunday - 2 courses
7:00 AM - Leave Kalamazoo, MI - 2 hour drive to Rogers-Lakewood Park
9:00 - Arrive Rogers-Lakewood Park (4.13) - 24 holes - 7808 ft - 3.5 hours
- Valparaiso, IN
12:30 - Leave Rogers-Lakewood Park - 1.5-2.0 hour drive to the Canyons (including lunch)
2:30 - Arrive The Canyons (4.28) - 24 holes - 6632-8270ft - 3.5 hours
- Lockport, IL
5:30-6:00 - Leave Lockport, IL - 5 hour drive to Des Moines
10:30 - Arrive Des moines

Here's a simplified list for people just glossing over this.
  • Are there any tournaments at these courses on these dates?
  • Any new courses going up that we should know about?

Friday, July 15:
Flip City
Leviathan
Mason County Parks - Play 1 or 2 courses (time permitting)
- Beauty (3.94) 24 holes. 5711 ft. Most under 300 ft long
- Beast (4.16) 24 holes. 7093 ft. 18 holes of Goliath are backwards of this course. This course is a lot shorter than Goliath though.
- Goliath (4.05) 24 holes. 8171 ft. Longest course in park. 18 holes of Beast played backwards with 6 additional holes
Hotel in Big Rapids

Saturday, July 16
Fallasburg Park
Pick one of these courses
- Oshtemo Township Park (3.8) - 18 holes - 5078 ft.–6709 ft. - 2.5-3 hours
- Robert Morris Park (3.8) - 18 holes - 5845 ft - 2.5-3 hours
- Vickburgs Rec. Area (3.88) - 18 holes - 5180 ft.–6815 ft 2.5-3 hours -2.5-3 hours
Hotel in Kalamazoo

Sunday, July 17
Rogers-Lakewood Park
The Canyons
Travel to Des moines

No tourneys or league events at the Michigan courses those days. Should be clear sailing. Flip, Fallasburg, and The Beast are three of my favorite Michigan courses. If not for the Bells tour, I'd say hit up Yankee Springs between Grand Rapids and Kzoo. Beautifully maintained golf course with 18 holes of disc golf and carts! However, Bells is most definitely worth the trip. Hailing from Beer City, USA, I completely appreciate that!

However, for Saturday night, Arcadia Ales in Kzoo has more awesome craft beer (seems to be a focus) and some phenomenal food as well from their wood-fired brick oven. As far as the courses, Oshtemo is great with a lot of dense forest to contend with. Robert Morris is much more open, but a bit longer and much, MUCH hillier, and Vicksburg is another great course, but at times has some problems with overgrowth.

Have a great time with your travels! If you want a local in the GR area, feel free to hit me up.

Cheers, fellas.

That list looks pretty good (quality wise) and you look to be more or less okay time-wise as well. The first day is fairly ambitious, though doable...I'd personally suggest dropping Beauty for a little bit more time to relax at Flip and/or Beast/Goliath.

You'll want to avoid Oshtemo like the plague on a w/e afternoon. Chucker's paradise and rounds can go very long there, especially if you're playing the longs...people will keep jumping in front of you on the shorts. If you play the shorts, it'll be by far the weakest on the list.

Vicksburg is pretty solid, and would be my choice for the last day.

Sounds fun, enjoy guys! :) :thmbup:

Personally with the trip flip is a good choice. Fallasburg park is good but you might be able to bag a couple of extra courses if you stick closer to the US131. Personally Fallasburg is nothing really special. Don't get me wrong great use of land but little out of your way on the drive.

^ Respectfully disagree...you're 100% correct re: out of the way but personally I think Fallasburg is almost as much of a "must hit" as Flip and Leviathan. :)

If it comes down to quality vs. quantity, then hit Fallasburg. If you're looking to just bag courses, then yeah, the trek out to Fallasburg will probably kill a lot of time.

Thanks for the responses everyone! This is exactly the type of feedback we were looking for.

The first day is fairly ambitious, though doable...I'd personally suggest dropping Beauty for a little bit more time to relax at Flip and/or Beast/Goliath.

We figured it would be tough to get more than 3 full courses in on Friday, so this is good information to know which courses to focus on. Would you recommend Beast over Goliath? We'll try to play both, but I'm doubting we'll have time to finish both of them.

You'll want to avoid Oshtemo like the plague on a w/e afternoon. Chucker's paradise and rounds can go very long there, especially if you're playing the longs...people will keep jumping in front of you on the shorts. If you play the shorts, it'll be by far the weakest on the list.

Awesome information! Thanks again.

If not for the Bells tour, I'd say hit up between Grand Rapids and Kzoo. Beautifully maintained golf course with 18 holes of disc golf and carts! However, Bells is most definitely worth the trip. Hailing from Beer City, USA, I completely appreciate that!

You're tempting us with more courses! :) Based on the lack of reviews of Yankee Springs I'm assuming it's pretty new?

However, for Saturday night, Arcadia Ales in Kzoo has more awesome craft beer (seems to be a focus) and some phenomenal food as well from their wood-fired brick oven.
Despite having two breweries on the list, we're always open to more beer and food suggestions! We'll definitely keep Arcadia Ales in mind.

As far as the courses, Oshtemo is great with a lot of dense forest to contend with. Robert Morris is much more open, but a bit longer and much, MUCH hillier, and Vicksburg is another great course, but at times has some problems with overgrowth.
If you had to pick just one of these three courses based on our semi-tight schedule, which would you choose?

Would you recommend Beast over Goliath? We'll try to play both, but I'm doubting we'll have time to finish both of them.

I'd recommend Goliath over Beast, personally; however, Goliath is Beast backwards (kinda) and I'd really suggest seeing how many people are out and about once you're there. If there's tons of people on Beast, then play it that way to avoid having to yield right-of-ways. That said, looks like my review from '13 was the last to go up, so hopefully you guys have the place to yourself!

The Ma Co course flows can be a bit weird with the backwards aspect of Goliath, but definitely worth the minor hassles involved. :)

If you had to pick just one of these three courses based on our semi-tight schedule, which would you choose?

Personally, I prefer Robert Morris in that area. Great use of elevation, good mix of open bombers and tight wooded holes, plenty of left-to-right and right-to-left holes. Definitely not just a "big dumb hyzer" course. Oshtemo can be crowded and it's a lot of the same shots. Still a great course, but not as varied. Vicksburg is good, has more water in play, good challenge, but I tend to prefer courses with some hills.

Last year this Ohio boy said he would head north and play Michigan for both great golf and good beer. But excuses,,excuses kept me at bay.

Looking at your itninary is getting me stoked about a trip I have waited too long to make happen myself!

Give us a full report.

My wife and I played Flip, Leviathan, Beauty, Beast, and Goliath all in a single day. If you take the attitude that you may never be there again, and this may be your only chance to see/play them, you may be surprised what you're capable of. Good luck!

^OMG This all day long - I even mention that in my review lol. Personally, I'd rather hit up Cold Brook, Robert Morris or Vicksburg that time of day. Another option that isn't too much further away is the Meyer-Broadway complex further south.

Other than that, I am very jealous of your list. :clap:

Flip/Beauty/Beast fill most of a day, from experience. Especially if you spend any time in the rough on Beast.

Would you recommend Beast over Goliath? We'll try to play both, but I'm doubting we'll have time to finish both of them.
I'd recommend Goliath over Beast, personally; however, Goliath is Beast backwards (kinda) and I'd really suggest seeing how many people are out and about once you're there. If there's tons of people on Beast, then play it that way to avoid having to yield right-of-ways. That said, looks like my review from '13 was the last to go up, so hopefully you guys have the place to yourself!

The Ma Co course flows can be a bit weird with the backwards aspect of Goliath, but definitely worth the minor hassles involved. :)
Personally, I prefer Beast to Goliath. Goliath is far from the first course I've played that's well above my skill level, but I felt it was particularly unforgiving/unaccommodating to my abilities, and simply shredded me without having Beast's fun factor. That said, if you have the game for it it's still a wonderful course. Juke's spot on about traffic volume possibly being the best way to make that call... it'll be quite time consuming to play Goliath if there's a decent amount of traffic on Beast. The converse would also be true, but it seems that Beast's layout is the more popular of the two.

That's my $0.02 worth, but you've got a nice trip laid out for you... ENJOY! :hfive:

Does anyone have pictures of or comments on Yankee Springs Golf Course? Is it worth playing? It looks like the Founders brewery tour is sold out Saturday, July 16. We might considering playing Yankee Springs if it's worthwhile.

If there are better recommendations for courses between Big Rapids and Kalamazoo, then we'd be open to listen to those as well.

Probably opening a can of worms here but after playing it I definitely dont think Flip City is the #2 ranked course on the planet. Cool course, but my expectations exceeded my experience.

Probably opening a can of worms here but after playing it I definitely dont think Flip City is the #2 ranked course on the planet. Cool course, but my expectations exceeded my experience.

Honestly, same... Sad to say since I'm a semi-local boy. Flip is definitely a good challenge in some aspects and I have a TON of respect for the work Bill has done, but it's not nearly as scenic or enjoyable as many Michigan courses. Just a lot of hiking and mostly straight forward holes.

Still a sweet course, but I have 5 others off the top of my head in Michigan that I'd rather play without even giving it more than 10 seconds thought.

Honestly, same... Sad to say since I'm a semi-local boy. but I have 5 others off the top of my head in Michigan that I'd rather play without even giving it more than 10 seconds thought.
Which ones ?

Latest posts