• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan Trip

In Grand Rapids area, Fallasburg (my home course as well as apdrvya I believe last I knew and #1 in West MI in my mind), Rotary North (known locally as Grand Isle Park - which I haven't reviewed yet, just placed last summer) and Jaycee (shorter, but fairly technical, wooded and uses elevation decently) will offer a good variety within about a half hour or so of each other and are all solid courses. There are MANY others in the GR area, but those are the main ones I hit up. Earl Brewer has 2-18 hole courses and good variety (on the list for 2017 Masters Worlds) be desperately need new baskets. These things have to be first run Chainstars from the 80s. lol. Smash Park and Bertha Brock are both great, but that's stretching more and more out to the east.

If you have time to make it to Flip City, it is truly unparalleled in the whole of the midwest - hence the #2 slot on DGCR rankings - but it's quite a drive from South Haven. If you're looking for something fairly quick and close to your family, Shore Acres in Saugatuck, or Oshtemo/Robert Morris in K-Zoo (2015 Am Worlds courses) are the closest and some of the best in West Michigan.

Have a great trip!

Cheers.

PS: If you're from STL and stop by Reptilian and bring me goodies, I'll meet you at ANY course in West MI for a round and give you prizes! ;) Ha!

All good info and all good guys giving it....shout out to West MI! :rolleyes: :) :thmbup: :D ;)

The nearest course to South Haven is Flaherty Park. It's listed as a 9 hole course, however, it has two distinctive teepads per hole, essentially (yes, there is a pun there) making it an 18 hole course. A very nice little course, I highly recommend.
Further south from SH is a Steady Ed designed course called Madeline Bertrand. Likely not designed with modern drivers in mind, so it's a bit on the short side, but still a very fun course. Since you'd be right next to the Indiana border, there are some fun courses in the South Bend area as well.
Also noteworthy is Spinski's - despite what all the haters from Worlds think.
Basically, you just need to click on the "Browse Map," click on the Mitten & you'll find the best information about the courses.

The nearest course to South Haven is Flaherty Park. It's listed as a 9 hole course, however, it has two distinctive teepads per hole, essentially (yes, there is a pun there) making it an 18 hole course. A very nice little course, I highly recommend.
Further south from SH is a Steady Ed designed course called Madeline Bertrand. Likely not designed with modern drivers in mind, so it's a bit on the short side, but still a very fun course. Since you'd be right next to the Indiana border, there are some fun courses in the South Bend area as well.
Basically, you just need to click on the "Browse Map," click on the Mitten & you'll find the best information about the courses.

Yeah, I forget about Spinski's....it did take some heat at World's, but I really enjoyed the round. It is pretty obvious the homer love shown here on this thread. Michigan disc golfers have a lot to be proud of.

Yep. Madeline Bertrand is a good old school course with many cool shots. Plenty of deuces to be had. Nothing personal against the Indiana courses, but the choice between the Kazoo area courses mentioned vs. the Indiana courses really isn't a choice at all. Kazoo and/or Ludington-Flip are far better.

I started playing DG at Bertrand 30 years ago but can't really recommend it, especially if on a road trip. It's very short and full of putter shots off the tees. There is a parking fee plus a DG fee, it's simply not worth it. I think I gave it 2 stars. Go to Rum Village in South Bend instead.

Yep. Madeline Bertrand is a good old school course with many cool shots. Plenty of deuces to be had. Nothing personal against the Indiana courses, but the choice between the Kazoo area courses mentioned vs. the Indiana courses really isn't a choice at all. Kazoo and/or Ludington-Flip are far better.

Not only that but that place is very crowded with huckers possessing a lack of etiquette whenever it's a weekend or holiday.

In Grand Rapids area, Fallasburg (my home course as well as apdrvya I believe last I knew and #1 in West MI in my mind)

Not sure Jeff would consider fallasburg his home course, unless we can claim courses as far away as we want as home courses. :p

however the rest of your post is pretty spot on.

Like the others have said...head north and if you go there with your wife. I gotta share you a local tip that even some in the Ludington area don't know about and that is a private beach on Lake Michigan that Bortell's Fishery has to offer. I always go to Bortell's when in the area. They serve fresh fish (I go there for their walleye dinner) then from the fishery on 5528 S Lakeshore Dr.(right down the street from the Disc Golf courses). One could eat at the fishery on one of the picnic tables they have to offer, but one could also drive a couple house down the road to the right to their private park/ beach and enjoy the ambiance that a picnic table overlooking beautiful Lake Michigan has to offer. And if your feeling froggy one could even climb aboard the SS Badger and travel over to Wisconsin for some cool Disc golf courses from Ludington to Manitowoc, Wi.. My lady friend and I did this last year and stayed in Two Rivers, Wi for the night @ the Lighthouse, Inn. In the morning before I got my Disc Golf fix we rode bikes that one can rent @ the hotel and ride down to Manitowoc and back along the lakeshore. Great area and lot's of options if you have the time.

^ Bortell's sounds like a great tip. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I'm in Ludington... looks to be just a few miles from Mason County Park (Beauty, Beast, Goliath). Thanks! like a great tip...

Like the others have said...head north and if you go there with your wife. I gotta share you a local tip that even some in the Ludington area don't know about and that is a private beach on Lake Michigan that Bortell's Fishery has to offer. I always go to Bortell's when in the area. They serve fresh fish (I go there for their walleye dinner) then from the fishery on 5528 S Lakeshore Dr.(right down the street from the Disc Golf courses). One could eat at the fishery on one of the picnic tables they have to offer, but one could also drive a couple house down the road to the right to their private park/ beach and enjoy the ambiance that a picnic table overlooking beautiful Lake Michigan has to offer. And if your feeling froggy one could even climb aboard the SS Badger and travel over to Wisconsin for some cool Disc golf courses from Ludington to Manitowoc, Wi.. My lady friend and I did this last year and stayed in Two Rivers, Wi for the night @ the Lighthouse, Inn. In the morning before I got my Disc Golf fix we rode bikes that one can rent @ the hotel and ride down to Manitowoc and back along the lakeshore. Great area and lot's of options if you have the time.

This is some great info... thx for sharing a cool lil' secret like this :thmbup:

If you can get an invite to leagues at Blue Gill I highly recommend going there . Its, dare I say On par with flip city and is alot closer.

Jeez, I never think of Blue Gill... now that is an amazing course

highly recommended if you can get an invite

Shhhh... I keep BG on the down low. :rolleyes:

I started playing DG at Bertrand 30 years ago but can't really recommend it, especially if on a road trip. It's very short and full of putter shots off the tees. There is a parking fee plus a DG fee, it's simply not worth it. I think I gave it 2 stars. Go to Rum Village in South Bend instead.

Some of us over 50 don't mind shorter courses.;) Plus, did I mention it's a Steady Ed design?

Latest posts