• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan

Deuces

Par Member
We will be in Detroit over Memorial day weekend visiting family. I figured while we were in the state, why not spend the rest of the week playing courses before heading home. Already have played Flip, Beauty, Beast, Goliath, and Leviathan.

What other can't miss courses does MI have to offer?

Rolling Hills outside Ypsi is fun. I haven't played Hudson Mills, but that's supposed to be darn fun. Cold Brook in Climax is a really fun spin if you go that way, also.

Second for Rolling Hills, I'll add on Independence Lake because its a great course and it uses the same parking pass as Rolling Hills. Both courses are fun from the long and short tees; a lot of deuces to get from shorts and good challenge from longs.

Addison Oaks and Stony Creek is another great combo. Stony in the morning though (it gets pretty busy). Addison is top notch and usually there aren't too many people out there.

Hudson Mills and Kensington are worth checking out as well. Hudson is not the same as it was in years past. A lot of brush has been cleared out in the last 12 months.

I'm 30 mins outside of Detroit, holler if I can help at all.

If you want to keep travel time down and hit up some high quality Michigan courses here is your best bets:
* Rolling Hills - Ypsilanti, 18 holes, also has aprox 10 long tee pads
* Hudson Mills Metropark - Dexter, Two 24 hole courses (Original & Monster), long & short tee pads for both.
* Independence Lake - Whitmore Lake, 24 holes, long & mid tees paved, shorts natural.
* Willow Metropark - New Boston, 24 holes, long & short tee pads
* Kensington Black Locust -Milford, 27 holes

Great time of year to visit and play. Everything is green again and the bugs aren't crazy bad yet. Definitely spend a whole day at Hudson Mills playing both 24 holes courses. Rolling is well worth the short drive and big fan of Indy Lake. Enjoy!

Another vote for Independence Lake in particular. Higher fun factor than Hudson Mills and Kensington, IMHO (although those are worth playing as well).

Appreciate it all. There's a good chance we'll play everything you have mentioned. Looking to play 3 a day to add 15 or so courses to my played list.

If you want to keep travel time down and hit up some high quality Michigan courses here is your best bets:
* Rolling Hills - Ypsilanti, 18 holes, also has aprox 10 long tee pads
* Hudson Mills Metropark - Dexter, Two 24 hole courses (Original & Monster), long & short tee pads for both.
* Independence Lake - Whitmore Lake, 24 holes, long & mid tees paved, shorts natural.
* Willow Metropark - New Boston, 24 holes, long & short tee pads
* Kensington Black Locust -Milford, 27 holes

Additionally, Hudson, Kensington, and Willow all use the same entry pass, but not sure if you could realistically do them all in a day. And it's already been mentioned, but Rolling Hills and Independence Lake also share a pass.

It's a shame Belle Isle is no longer available...

Additionally, Hudson, Kensington, and Willow all use the same entry pass, but not sure if you could realistically do them all in a day. And it's already been mentioned, but Rolling Hills and Independence Lake also share a pass.

It's a shame Belle Isle is no longer available...

Good post. :clap:

Rolling Hills and Indy Lake are $10.00 day pass per car. If you want to save a few bucks try and play these two the same day as the pass is valid for both. The Disc Golf is free only fee is getting into the park.

The Metroparks all share the same day pass which is $10 per car. ($35.00/year) Willow is a shorter, wooded course near the airport. If you are ambitious enough you could start early at Willow then venture to Hudson Mills to play both 24 hole courses there. Or make Hudson its own day and bundle Willow with Kensington to save on parking. Hudson Mills also has a $3.00 per golfer a day pass on top of parking.

Everything is green again and the bugs aren't crazy bad yet.

When are the bugs bad? I assume summer like everywhere else. I'm thinking of hitting up MI this fall, but could go sooner if bugs will be an issue then. I've played in Maine, where you can barely open your eyes without something flying in there, so I'm trying to avoid that situation. No matter what, I'm bringing goggles just in case.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I'm hoping to get to play 3 great courses a day from next Tuesday through Saturday. Would love to have a round or two guided if you're able, but if not, at least tell us about some good food to hit up in your town.

When are the bugs bad? I assume summer like everywhere else. I'm thinking of hitting up MI this fall, but could go sooner if bugs will be an issue then. I've played in Maine, where you can barely open your eyes without something flying in there, so I'm trying to avoid that situation. No matter what, I'm bringing goggles just in case.

I guess it is all relative as that sounds worse than I have experienced here. Generally speaking it is the mosquitoes that annoy the most and they tend to hang out in the heavily wooded courses more so than the more open courses. I know Willow Metropark has a reputation for lots of mosquitoes in the summer months and most folks play it in the fall/winter time.

Never had any issues at Hudson, Indy, or any other well manicured courses. You should be fine no matter the time of year for the most part, but never hurts to pack some OFF just in case. :D

We will be at Rolling Hills tomorrow afternoon, then Independence Lake after if anyone is able to play course guide.

Latest posts