• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid range disc advice

ROC and Buzz are a really nice glidey approach disc but sometimes you need something with less glide.....I think you need multiple types of approach discs....no one can do it all! The wolf loves to crash out of your hand for instance a good no glider disc but lousy for other types of shots.

I hate sharks, they sicken me. I'd rather throw a Roc that has been used as a chew toy than a Shark, and I throw Buzzzes.

But yeah, Mids are great. I throw Wasps, Rocs, Buzzzes, Nebulas, Impacts (Noob approved), QMS's, Sentinels, Skeeters (noob approved), the list goes on. Qms's are really underrated mids.

I loved sharks when I had no arm. Now I just turn them over like crazy...but I have my dad playing with a shark and I generally give newbies a shark to throw.

\/\/

ROC and Buzz are a really nice glidey approach disc but sometimes you need something with less glide.....I think you need multiple types of approach discs....no one can do it all! The wolf loves to crash out of your hand for instance a good no glider disc but lousy for other types of shots.

I think the best advice might be....Don't use a midrange disc. Get a good gliding type midrange...roc/buzzz/comet/evolution/skeeter etc. (I use a Buzzz 90% of the time myself...) And then get...an Approach disc! A putter that's willing to go medium distances and then just sit down.

A Rattler can be this disc, but if you put it on it's side...good luck chasing it down a hill...

Maybe an XD? It feels like they turned a roc/buzz into a weird putter to me. I kind of like it.

\/\/

I think the best advice might be....Don't use a midrange disc. Get a good gliding type midrange...roc/buzzz/comet/evolution/skeeter etc. (I use a Buzzz 90% of the time myself...) And then get...an Approach disc! A putter that's willing to go medium distances and then just sit down.

A Rattler can be this disc, but if you put it on it's side...good luck chasing it down a hill...

Maybe an XD? It feels like they turned a roc/buzz into a weird putter to me. I kind of like it.

\/\/

I guess I never thought of mid-range and approach as different aspects of the game but yes makes sense!

I picked up a squall at a PIAS to see what it was like, and have really liked it as a midrange. I went back just to get another.

...He did say a stable disc. So what's with all the Roc comments, I know everyone loves their rocs but if he's new wouldn't he like something else a lot more. I would suggest the mako based on what it says about it but everyone has yet to try it seeing it's not out yet. I can't wait to get my hands on one though I'm not exactly happy about spending $16 just because it's only in star. Though I may buy two...1 to throw and 1 as a first run disc that I'll just keep.

I do like my shark now, but originally it bothered me so I figured a roc may do the same to you. Though the edge of the shark still bothers me otherwise I like how it flies when I get a nice throw on it.

Last edited:
Think of "mid-range" as meaning a mid-range drive. Putters are used for short range drives, approaches and putts.

Exactly.

Soft putters and generally considered just putters, they do weird things on anything long (like flop about, deform, and fall)

Stiffer putters are sometimes called Putt & Approach discs. Meaning they're good for putting, and if you're outside of your putt window, toss it for a lay up.

\/\/

i keep in the bag:

2 elite z buzzzes
1 esp buzzz
1 FLX drone
1 elite z comet

I love them all for diferent shots, the meteor and roc are both excelent mid ranges also, the meteor will hyzer flip and ride the line flat forever and it makes a great turnover disc, the roc is fairly dependable

I actually cant wait to get my ESP Banger-GT. Found that most of the time, if I can get there with a mid, I can get there with my Banger-GT soft X, I just dont want to throw that one for long aproaches as I dont want to chew it up.

Really tempts me to give up on all mids for now (except the Kite which is my short anny disc) and use just fairway drivers and the Bangers, with the distance drivers only on the real long holes. When I am starting to throw my putter over 200' with ease and control, I dont see much use for a mid until I get to where my fairway drivers are consistantly hitting over 300' to where I would be over-shooting but so far, that isnt the case.

Hey OP, how far do you throw on Drives? Or how far can you drive your putter? Those questions will help a lot when determining what mid would be best for you.

i ended up getting a roc......i hit chains from around 120 like the 3rd hole i used it. :) i think i'm gonna stick with that. but i'm still welcome to other peoples ideas and what you guys use.

My mid-bag is almost as fat as my driver side now.

Latitude max weight core
Latitude Sinus AP
Innova Star Gator (awesome overstable mid)
Latitude spike
Pro Rhyno

I have a glow Roc and a glow Element...I really like both of them. Both are very good mids.

I have so many mids I don't even touch. I got a comet and an impact that I never use. I just go with my MRV and Buzzz.

Do yourself a favor, go out and buy a Roc and buy a Buzzz. I have one of each! I like them both and I use them both.

Latest posts