• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

mid range or fairway driver

It's up to you really, what you're comfortable with and what the shot calls for.

It really does depend on the shot, distance, the line you need to hit, wind, and so on. However one thing to keep in mind is that the idea is to use the slowest disc possible to reach your target for accuracy. That said it will vary from person to person for sure.

It really is just about what you're comfortable with and what you can make the shot you want with. Choosing the slower disc is good advice as long as it'll do what you want to do and you can reach as far as you need to with it. That's not absolute advice, though, because there are plenty of people that underpower discs and make them do what they want (within reason, of course). This is one reason why lots of field practice is really helpful...get out there and throw your discs in all kinds of different ways, in different winds. See what they can do, and then you'll know when you're on the course. If you have good form and can push your mids to their intended or max distances (and if the shot allows it), then often mids will be your workhorses on most courses unless you have especially long fairways.

Consider your ceiling height. Choose a mid if you have some head room. Choose a fairway if your shot needs to stay under low branches.

Consider your wind direction/speed. Choose a mid if you have a fast tailwind. Choose a fairway if you have a fast headwind.

Consider your landing zones. Choose a mid if your aiming for limited real estate; a large finishing skip can ruin your next shot/putt. Choose a fairway ifan added skip can assist lining up your next shot/putt.

Last edited:
Consider your ceiling height. Choose a mid if you have some head room. Choose a fairway if your shot needs to stay under low branches.

Consider your wind direction/speed. Choose a mid if you have a fast tailwind. Choose a fairway if you have a fast headwind.

Consider your landing zones. Choose a mid if your aiming for limited real estate; a large finishing skip can ruin your next shot/putt. Choose a fairway ifan added skip can assist lining up your next shot/putt.

This. But you also have to know your discs, as said above.

One thing you can do is play without fairways and use just your mids for a while. this will give you an idea of what you can and can't do with the mid you use. I'm actually planning to do a little bit of this myself starting with my putters come spring. Not that I wont play in the winter, but winter is a "whatever works" time for me.

I'm a big fan of playing one or two-disc rounds to learn what they can do. Play with just your putter(s) for a week, then just your mids, etc. The first time I played putter only rounds I was shocked to learn that I could reach hole 5 at Red Ridge (265') with a Magnet. Now I throw a Magnet/Challenger/Zone on that hole depending on wind, where I was throwing mids/fairways before, and I take a 2 on most days (every now and again one gets away from me). It's a great teaching tool.