• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid test and results of removing flashing from Sentinel

JR

* Ace Member *
Another long one :)

I was out for about two hours today. Snow on the ground little to no wind. Slipped and fell once trying to get power from the legs.

My releasing and throwing both are improving a bit it seems. I seem to be at a point where the Indian is finally more important than the quality of the arrow. With concentration on form I seem to be able to put almost full power or full power from the arm to the throws without the accuracy suffering terribly. Repeatability suffers a bit too much for my taste. So I'd like to keep power generation below 90 % from maximum for real accurate work.

I threw from 3' higher than where the discs landed with drives. I initially used a 3 finger power grip where the index finger was under the rim below the thumb both pinching against each other. Then the same except moving the power gripping fingers to fan under the bottom of the disc. I moved to power grip 2 later on and had remarkably no difference at all except maybe 10' more distance on average with drives.

I also putted. I've recently putted with mids. To great results. I warmed up putting. I putted both down and uphill. To about 70-80' on average. When I left I tried to see how far I could trow my Radius without pulling it back by my side. It landed at 105' I didn't try to throw high for extra distance. I used Radius putter plastic 169, Putt'r Z 17? and beat glow medium 173 Wizard in these tests with mids for putting. No great differences in sideways variations putters vs mids. I got a bit more distance out of the mids which is great for not overdoing powering to twist each body part to wrong places by trying too hard. Some mids had less sideways movement than most putter throws. QMS seemed to be the straightest with Stratus x 170-172 being a close second Followed by Radius and Putt'r. Both QMS and Stratus were mostly on a string until very very late in the flight. Maybe 5 % in the end had some fade that usually was less than 2' and often 1' or a bit under on low throws that still were aimed higher than basket height. I guestimate 6-7' apexes.

QMS outglides everything in putts and only my T-bone 163 SRP prototype comes close but it gets to slightly better distances with it's higher speeds rather than glide. Making T-Bone a lot more unforgiving to missing high and nose angle. And it fades much more on drives. This lead to on average slightly longer throws with QMS although max D was in favor of T-bone.

T-bone clearly likes more speed than I was able to generate on snow. I also used 150 champ 11x Teebird and they flew as far but the Teebird faded less. The only area where I saw that the T-bone had an advantage over other discs was that it was equally long to the other discs in putting but faded more maikng sure that blow bys aren't as harsh. I don't plan my shots that way so it's of no use to me. Considering how much lighter it is compared against my QMS as a putter it doesn't work for me. As a driver I like my Teebird 11x and 12x a lot better. Off the T-bone stays from my bag.

My Sirius Sentinel MF 180 has about two dozen throws on it before sanding the flashing off. The difference the sanding made is greater than with my Star TL. It flies straighter now than with more power from legs and hips before when the ground was grippier. Even with lesser power usage I got it to fly about the same or a little bit farther than before. It's still no Rancho Roc definitely. A windy day will show what I'll do with this disc. It can be a good disc for low throws with close to ful power where it'll give some predictability and insurance against flipping over (at least too far) over dx Ranchos and MD1s. With trying not to fall down again I got the Sentinel to 200' on average. At that point I wasn't using full arm speed because I was trying to find a suitable leg form and power for getting maximum power without slipping. My main goal was to shoot out discs and try to find out how far I could throw them on a string and with how much repeatability and limiting the sideways motion of botched attempts. This is important in the multiple tunnels around here. Because I got the info I got from the throws with the Sentinel I didn't try to throw it with full arm power. That'll be reserved for actual playing where a left turn is required in the end. This baby tolerates missing high with nose flat less than every other disc I threw today.

I finally got my gummy 179 QMS to behave with full power. This disc amazingly forgiving of throwing too high nose flat or even slight nose up. It'll punish you of OAT and I got two unintended annies with it thanks to breaking the plane of the throw on the first one and having the plant step slip and lower back arch back in the other throw. Without those I would've had a perfect sideways accuracy due to hyzer/anhyzer angle. Unfortunately my aim still produces sideways swings but I had mild slippages more than I would've liked. I'm coming to terms with my usual too loose wrist in the reach back which has caused me a lot of height variation on throws. After finding the correct height for compromised leg and hip power I was constantly throwing this disc to 270'. Even with too high throws it faded very little and extremely late when it did. In no wind conditions this is a great gap penetrator. And it can be thrown over many trees too without the fear of fading too far off the fairway. When flipping over is a killer I hesitate to give full arm power to this disc. Other discs or less than full power and no headwinds are required for my comfort. YMMV.

I'm getting another Aurora for long putts in very much lower weights. This is a great disc for running long putts even at this heavy weight. I saw some 150 QMS and 169 Aurora MS on the web. I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get or should I get 'em both. Main idea is for putts especially the long ones in low wind conditions. Secondary purpose is for short annies, getting out of trouble shots and uphill annies with a need for amazingly long left to right movements.

Discraft Stratus X 170-172 had always been too flippy for me with any kind of power. It doesn't handle any winds at full arm speed. I didn't learn the correct hyzer angle for it. Every other disc I threw with minimal hyzer to flat throws going more and more towards flat releases in the end of the session. With flat releases it turned on me about 3-4 degrees moving sideways about 10' at 200-270'. Being lighter than QMS and not taking wind as well out it goes again. This is the second glidiest mold in this test. The speed difference in favor of the T-Bone on low lines nose flat or down muddies up things though. Differences are small.

Back to Roc family. I left my 179 Rancho dx home because I wanted more familiarization with my new 171 Rancho and was going for maximum mid straight line distance. 171 dx Rancho held up the Roc flag admirably. But... It fades too much for everything else than avoiding long blow bys in putts for my style of running straight at the basket. On drives it lost a couple of feet on average to QMS and MD1s of both plastics. That's bad because the Roc is 6-9 grams lighter than the other discs. Wind beating ability is yet unproven with each of these discs with my current form and grips. MD1 SG line 177 is more LSS than 171 Rancho. D line 180 MD1 is even more LSS than the SG line. MD1s are new. When new my 179 dx Rancho was less LSS than MD1s. I didn't seem to have any trouble turning any of these over.

If the MD1s can handle winds I seem to have no need for KC or premium plastic Rocs. Unless I go for maximum distance on line drives with mids using lighter discs than 171 and there aren't sufficiently light MD1s available. When not wanting to disc up to Teebirds or longer. I don't plan on going for maximum mid distance on line drives with light QMSs. I doubt my lack of finesse and local wind conditions allow that.

The difficult thing for me for long Roc duty considerations came with the performance of my X 175-176 Storm. I've always known it to be longer than Rocs. It beats all the mids in this test for distance. It only loses a little to my QMS in high line drives with minimal and late fade but has on average 10-15' longer with the longest throw about 20' longer than any other mid. Storm is a bit picky to nose angle/power in drives. Oddly enough it was fine as a putter being halfway between the most and least LSS discs in putting. For no fade on high line drives (my longest and highest throw with under 4' of fade apexed at about 15-17'). Previously I've had Storms in Z and X plastic in same weights flip in mild winds from front quarter and medium winds form the sides.

I really do not know what to do about long mid duty yet because I want wind handling. I'm greedy so I'd like to have longer discs than my current ones. I haven't had the time to think of this through. I don't know of light MD1s because if they handle winds at my current weights they'd be perfect for long mid duty in lighter weights. FYI I don't have trouble with the sharp bottom. For windy days in the summer I can generate full power and still would like to use full power even in headwinds as an option. That may be asking too much of any of these molds in every weight. With the possible exception of a new d line 180 MD1. But that isn't long enough.

I was thinking of trying a Blaze for full power throws in winds. Experiences, do they flip and how much do they fade at different lengths and headwind/no wind? Which plastic should I get? I'm thinking of max weight for headwinds. But would a lighter one be suitable for straight max mid D lines?

I'm not sure if I'll get more Rocs. If I do they'll be lighter and for max mid distance straight lines. Understable/straight gap penetration roles are covered by Auroras (with overlap to Rocs/MD1s in straight role depending on the situation) and overstable/headwinds by Sentinel/possibly Blaze or drivers at reduced power. I'm not limiting myself with too much disc minimalism because Rocs, Auroras and MD1s feel and fly similarly enough for me to be equal in throwing form and Sentinel is familiar and close enough for no troubles. They are all Rocs to me. Rocs of different weights, versions, plastics and level of wear should make them like my set is now. Slightly overstable to understable with nice little variations between them. They are relatives anyway but for me things go beyond that. I'm really not too sensitive to disc changes now. I've had a lot of experience with different molds, plastics and weights with differences in each with some molds. My form seems to accept different discs with ease. My fingers and hands are accustomed all sorts of size and shape differences in discs. One less thing to worry about :-D So philosophically and practically speaking my current setup of 2 Ranchos, 2 MD1s and a QMS are 5 Rocs and one mold to me :)

To muddy up things Storm is close enough too as a mid just longer and not wind beating and requires about the same form as QMS which is slight one or two degree compensation at reduced power for hyzer to flat flip. Because it can't handle winds I want to either drop it off my bag or keep it as a specialty disc for no wind conditions. It's not like I'm going to forget how to throw it because QMS is the same for me. Only might get more aces with the added D ;-)

My Champ Leopard at reduced leg power was as long as the Roc family on average and shorter than Teebird and Storm. Way too LSS and drops too fast for putts. Too LSS for my taste with drives. Unless it gets better with more power it won't get back to bag any time soon.

Get an E Blaze. They fly farher and are harder to flip than any other mid because it isn't really a mid.

scoot_er said:
Get an E Blaze. They fly farher and are harder to flip than any other mid because it isn't really a mid.

Thanks for the recommendation. Tight courses and rocks around here cry for harder plastics. How heavy E Blazes need to be for heavy headwinds for not flipping? For about 400' of drive power that is speed dominated and perhaps snap deficient. No OAT lately at last thank goodness. How much do they fade without wind on low line drives?

It depends on how you throw them. They don't have to be that heavy to handle wind and I use my 175s for headwind hyzers. E Blaze=Faster more HSS sentinel

scoot_er said:
It depends on how you throw them. They don't have to be that heavy to handle wind and I use my 175s for headwind hyzers. E Blaze=Faster more HSS sentinel

Sweet! I was looking for more HSS than a Sentinel. Do you know how the HSS of the Blaze compares to the Teebird? There's a full number between them on the JFC. I believe the Blaze to have just about the right cruising speed for me based on the relative distance and specs on the JFC for summertime full power rips for mid/fairway driver work. And left finishes with controllable power. If the HSS isn't too much for me in no wind conditions kicking the disc into an early fade with less than perfect throws I think this would bridge the gap between controllable power mid throws and controllable power Teebird throws nicely. Having the added bonus of handling unexpected winds. If so this would compliment my mids nicely.

I usually go for all flat release straight into the wind when possible. No hyzer/anhyzer flat horizontally and nose flat too. If the disc can't handle the power and amount of wind then I hyzer flip and hope to get the disc to flat.

The swirly nature of winds on many holes around here made by the sea, hills and forests make for quickly changing wind directions both sideways and height variations -we get surprising amounts of down to up winds among other things. Even on flat ground. Predicting is nigh impossible when there are no leaves. I've seen no leaf movement in the summer and felt no wind on the teepad and had discs fly over 200' flat then flip instantaneously hyzer or anhyzer. Spirits, max weight Z Preds, Maxes, Flicks you name it. In new condition.

I think I'll get two Blazes. A max weight E for headwinds and heavy winds and a lighter S for max D on grassy holes.

This time around it was more of a fairway driver/driver test day. I had an extra undershirt on today compared to last time. No viable putter candidates for spin putting without fade found today.

I kept SG line MD1 177 as a comparison. FLX Buzzz was unpredictable when I tried to throw it with full arm speed and some leg power. Maybe I flexed it so that it didn't work well in the release and right after it or maybe it is HS understable? Didn't notice terrible problems with my form.

With minimal leg power and less than full power D line CD flew fine for 260'. Beyond that it started to turn. More power and it went haywire. It was unpredictable and squirrely even with high lines and wrist roll under. It has been trashed at a rocky course. I can get mids farther and with more accuracy and repeatability. A lot more.

165 Z Avenger was another disc that didn't like a flat release with full arm power. On the other hand it is a dependable anhyzer disc that can be counted on to flip. With a bit of hyzer and wrist roll under it flipped to flat on high lines nicely. With less than full leg power I put the longest straight and annied drives to 310'. Can't remember if I used full arm power with those. Close to probably if not 100 %.

175 dx Teebird new wants full arm power and really could use more from the legs than I can give with snow on the ground. Still 290' after hitting branches a couple of times and 300' cleanly was fine because until the onset of fade it flew on a string. The extra power form legs and hips is only positive because it straightens out the flight path.

SOLF 173 to 320' could also use more power from legs and hips. No fear of flips this time. Suggests improving form.

Gazelle dx 175 really is too flippy for low lines and drops too fast for any distance. On high lines holds hyzers, flat and annied throws nicely. It's only a hair longer than my mids though at the power I can generate from snow. 290' tops.

Orc Champ 174domey cloudy plastic really liked tuning the drooping leading edge back to around normal level. Twisting with hands didn't do it I had to use pliers. Now it flew just like it was thrown. It flexes from slight annies. Longest one was straight to 300' fading very little landing at 327'. Nose flat 10-12' apex. Full arm power and risky leg power. My form on the snow with any kind of power suffers really. I used later power focus than the last time around too. At least early in the session when this longest throw of the day was achieved. This is the best performance I've gotten out of my Orc. It really did suffer initially from my poor form when I first got it and it got beat up in one summer to flippy and unpredictable. That's how poorly I threw at a wooded rocky course.

My E Sabre heavy was almost as flippy as my CD. Don't know why. Maybe it's my grip when it's wet. It is a high disc and those give me troubles. Especially when cold and wet like today.

12x Champion Teebird really showed what even mild slips do. With full arm power and flat release any slipping or arching of the back leads to an anny that flexes very late if at all. Flies a bit straighter than my 175 dx TB thanks to less and later fade. Doesn't flex back as easily. 300' was the best of the day. Somehow I doubt the wind handling of this pearly plastic version even more having seen the dx to be more HSS and LSS.

TL Star 175 was fine at less than full arm power but got flippy at full arm power. 280' was the best of the day and on a higher line than other throws. 3-5' of extra height compared to a Teebird does wonders for the flight path with more power. Wouldn't trust this in a wind.

12x Champ Firebird 175 might work well on windy days as a long mid at least in headwinds. 280' with straight flight to 200-210' on low line drive at full arm power and a little leg power. More than usually today. This was an actual x step but with less turn than usual. Unlike my usually used slow approach steps today. I was going more for accuracy and consistency in both tests than maximum distance. That's why I used so little turn that I could keep my eye on the target during the entire throw. That drastically cuts the amount of turn and leg power I get.

I wonder if Blazes are redundant with the Firebird? At least if I get lighter weights and don't throw uphill. For uphill throws I imagine the Blaze in lighter weights to be superior. Teebirds should work too.

A reason for these tests among others is that I want to gauge my form and current discs to see which molds I can throw accurately and repeatably far and in calm and windy conditions. This data is used for planning which light discs and weights and in which plastics I'm gonna get. Avoiding flippyness is a high priority. So far it seems that I could get a lighter dx Teebird and SOLF or a QOLF. For more open holes maybe even an OLF. For maximum golf D I need to throw other discs but I don't think I can get useful data with snow on the ground.

These are the next ones to be studied again in the next test after which I hope to have enough data to decide which light discs I want to compliment my heavier discs for different variations in tackling holes and ultimate distance line max D: My dx 150 Teerex is in need of some more break in. Last autumn it was too LSS for me so I don't think it'll be any better in the snow even with more muscle power and better form. My champ Starfire needs tuning back to normal. I'm interested in seeing how my E RIDTs in 168 and 172 fare with my improved form. Unfortunately my 148 is not tournament legal any more thanks to a strip missing from the leading edge :-( I don't hold my breath for by beaten ultralight E Diablo DT and Nike RIDT. I think that ultimate finesse with a lot of wrist roll under is required at full arm power for these. Even with reduced leg and hip power. My X Pred is becoming ever straighter and longer. That's interesting to see and so is my FLX Surge which seems to be a better disc for full power usage than my FLX Buzzz. Surge is stiffer and won't flex as much on the rim and flight plate. So far it has released consistently for me unlike the Buzzz. Don't know if there's any point in trying Wraiths and Destroyers in these conditions. Even for giving other people giggles when I fall down.

For max D I'm hoping to buy a couple of dx fast long discs for glide and less LSS and some harder plastics for being able to practice without the disc trashing and changing characteristics to flippy too early. So far I've got too many choices and too little info. Teebird in dx under 170 is the only one I'm fairly sure of. I don't know how light weights are still usable for me because I'd like to use both line drives and max D lines.

I'd like to get even faster discs for max D. I'm really tempted by Wraiths in dx in lowest possible weight because my longest throws are with Star Wraiths. Despite the reported quick trashing.

I also would like to have a controllable slow driver in light weights and good durability but trying to rip hard from slippery ground didn't sell me on the idea of getting a light Gazelle. I know that in JFC Gazelle is theoretically better than Leopard but my Champ Leopard is beefier than my dx Gazelle. Go figure. I'm puzzled about what to do with this. I really want low to preferably no fade from this disc. I wanna be able to throw high over obstacles. With my troubles with nose angle I do need a light slow low fade disc that can still go far nose flat with high throws. I don't think I'm gonna get flat truly high line drives nose down any time soon judging by how my hand and wrist hurts and past failures. Ideas? Thanks for comments.

Gazelle dx 175 really is too flippy for low lines and drops too fast for any distance. On high lines holds hyzers, flat and annied throws nicely. It's only a hair longer than my mids though at the power I can generate from snow. 290' tops.

Weird. I threw my beat 168 dx gazelle hyzer in a pretty stiff headwind downhill a little over 400 the other day, and it did not flip over, just flattened before it took a small hyzer at the end. But I also have a new 171 gazelle that was super flippy straight out of the box. Maybe you got one of those?

Man_Utenbart said:

Weird. I threw my beat 168 dx gazelle hyzer in a pretty stiff headwind downhill a little over 400 the other day, and it did not flip over, just flattened before it took a small hyzer at the end. But I also have a new 171 gazelle that was super flippy straight out of the box. Maybe you got one of those?
I have two different stabilites of Gazelles, too. The normal ones handle headwinds well, especally up to 290'. The flippy ones go a mile with a tailwind.

garublador said:
Man_Utenbart said:

I have two different stabilites of Gazelles, too. The normal ones handle headwinds well, especally up to 290'. The flippy ones go a mile with a tailwind.

I really don't know what to think of mine. It's not beat it's broken in. I did throw a 60 degree high hyzer with it that held the line all the way to the ground. OAT shouldn't be the issue. On higher lines or with wrist roll under at higher power I can hyzer flip to flat with it as long as the line isn't low. The disc is fairly pliable in the flight plate so I think it's of the softer side of dx blends.

Animix said:
Does someone want to set up a JR Cliff Notes service or something? Holy shit...

Count the number of discs and you'll see why there are a lot of words.

There's little point in listing the data from JFC because it already exists. Because JFC only holds rudimentary skeletal data the forums are great for telling the rest of the story. Then important things like flippyness under different conditions and variations in plastic blends of the nominally same plastic come up. Run variations etc. may lead people to think they are the problem when the difference happens in a disc.

Winds prevented me from seeing reliable results today :-( Other than how discs I had with me fared in left front winds. I didn't reach my best distance of the week in this session. My Champion Orc 175 on a line drive in calm weather went farther than my Star Wraith 166 on a mild s-curve in a headwind by about 15' and the Wraith had a good skip. And I was able to utilize more lower body power than before... Meh. Tripping and cutting my palm stopped me from finding out how my new lighter Roc works in winds :-( Bah.

I twisted back the edges of my ultralight RIDT and Diablo DT to normal shape but both had damage on the leading edge and they were just as ridiculous as could be imagined in a headwind. They really need very little power for distance but any kind of wind makes them unusable for trying to throw with minimal power for long mid range duty.

I was surprised by the performance of my X Pred. It is dependable on low lines for flexing back. But when it happens is unpredictable. I was able to flip it a bit and it held the anny until 90% of the distance with about 290' being the longest throw. Most were around 260-270'. Low flat releases.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm really impressed by my s Illusion 170 plastic. I slipped and sent a drive at high power to a tree at 30'. Little fear of tacoing. Naturally the leading edge did get damage but it's nothing like what soft blends of dx get. And no fear of bending hard. Unfortunately this disc does needs the player to read the wind perfectly if thrown into a left front headwind. Because it is naturally a little HSS understable the natural tilting to the right early in the flight exposes the bottom of the disc to the wind and then the accuracy is gone. Other than that I didn't notice any troubles from the wind. As long as you can compensate with initial hyzer it's fine as a headwind driver. A big if. It is quite long in the headwind but Destroyer is longer although slightly more susceptible to the wind. For reliability while still being long I still put the X Pred on top.

Didn't have field practice or rest today when my asked me to play. Four days of exercise in a row...

Google earth showed that I had paced falsely. 337' was the longest drive with the Orc last week. Mids except Storm maxed out at 280'. Measured results. Without measuring I think the Storm at best landed at 300' with 2' of fade from ~22' apex. Nose flat mid flight.

Today I threw on purpose into a headwind after rounds being exhausted. My 171 Rancho Roc got two lifts combined about 2' of height gain partially at least ruined by loss of airspeed and early hyzer. The disc landed at 280' 1' up from the throwing place. All power I could muster at that point. Fairly grippy ground. Hyzer release to flat flip. Numbers are on a hole basket to tee that I've seen measured with a GPS. An earlier throw did flip mid air. My MD1 SG line 177 was unaffected by winds. Felt very reliable. Nice indeed :) Straight as a string in a headwind. Threw too low so I can't tell how far I could've thrown today. Last week I outdistanced my 171 Roc with the MD1. the Roc too was straight except for the lifts in the end leading to a slowing down and fade.

If I had to guess the winds were about 6-7 MPH. That's less than Finnish meteorological institute measurements were a couple of hours earlier. We had calm weather for the most time during rounds and towards the end the began to pick up.

Flashing off of many discs and I liked the results each time once I hyzer flipped and used a little wrist roll under. A lot longer flights but the only understable mold I took the flashing off of was 175 Champ Leopard. And even that worked extremely well with no flipping over in calm weather. Just ordered a 150-155 weighted among other things :-D In 175 10' apex I got it to fly on a string into a branch. It would've been one of my longest and definitely the straightest throw ever.

Sentinel MF 180 in Sirius is now a nicely long disc for a midrange. Not as long as my 9 grams lighter Roc or 3 grams lighter MD1 SG line. Very different from half of the flashing off now that the flashing is fully removed. Straighter much longer and a bit milder fade. Now I can see it having something resembling the straight flight of a Roc in calm weather when thrown into a headwind. Now it's like a similar weight Roc that fades in the end on very low lines or a much harder fader than new DX Rancho on 10' apexes.

RIDT E 168 golfable s-curve to 406' 2' downhill with skipping in the end. The stopping position is among the very best I've achieved ever even compensating for the slight downhill and skip in the end. Actually my longest overall barring rollers.

Added D relates to grip change to the rear of the disc being above the seam in my palm and three finger tips against the rim with the finger print of the index finger on the rim. More gripping power for me than with the Berkley power grip and more nose down angle. I still wasn't fully trying to stop my wrist to handshaking position. I wanted to see the difference these other changes made to my flight lines.

My average golf D went up by about 20' compared to earlier sessions in the past two weeks. Mainly because of the grip change and better positioning of the plant step to avoid unplanned annies. Another major factor was throwing a bit higher which I need to take up another notch of with many discs. Especially Leopards. I've got speed to spare and my discs were skipping with nice speed with 370'+ drives. I got many molds around there line drives and s-curves. Most notable was understable discs getting there too without flipping over. My form is obviously improving :-D

To make a long story short I think that very overstable discs for their range benefited me the most to having the flashing taken off. Later and less fade gave me a lot of distance on golf lines. Meaning line drives and slightly tilted flights from that. I did throw some hyzers as well and there the benefits were slighter but still noticeable.

Leopard was the outstanding exception. With my current power/form The fading halved or became even less with 10' apexes. Of course better nose down angle helped too. I really don't know how much the nose angle changed today in favor of me.

The true star of this session was my 168 TRX with the flashing removed. Less LSS than my new 175 DX Teebird on low lines and equal at about 12-15'+ apexes. With 7' of height I had no worries of turning this baby over. Into the bag permanently immediately march! My 150 11x Champion Teebird seems to hold more potential in D but not resistance to flipping over or in winds and it requires more height and/or initial hyzer or wrist roll under for not flipping with full power and definitely more height for distance. The TRX is probably my longest and straightest reliable disc now. Two foot fades with 7' apex to 330'+. Grins!!!

The 150 TB took a hard tree hit at 100' thanks to plant step slipping and showed no damage at all.

Diablo DT Hi Flex heavy and SRP 169 RI new mold are way LSS for me for low line max golf D. Beefy in that respect but Diablo turns at high speeds way more than TRX and the RI is probably a tad more HSS than the TRX. No flashing but quite new and undamaged state for the RI. It seems to more durable so far than other SRP discs I have. Luck or a true difference in the plastic? I can't say. I've tried to use on grassy places with little risk of hitting hard objects so that may be the reason for apparent durability so far. Don't recall rock hits and it's gotten a few tree hits but not at close range.

Bradley Walker said:
Sounds like you need to move down south JR.

Too much snow and wind where you are...

There's not much more ground to the south in Finland. The sea is to the south of me. I thought of having a holiday somewhere way south of here but the winter is weird. Mid west has had more snow than southern Finland. That's seriously messed up. This winter has had so many snow/ice/thaw cycles that I've lost count. Nobody remembers a winter when there would've been green grass visible on the ground in each of the three months.

Wind makes things interesting and forces a different bag and adjusting in aiming, disc selection and form. It's an interesting and sometimes a frustrating challenge. But overall I think it adds spice to life :)

JR said:
Bradley Walker said:

There's not much more ground to the south in Finland. The sea is to the south of me. I thought of having a holiday somewhere way south of here but the winter is weird. Mid west has had more snow than southern Finland. That's seriously messed up. This winter has had so many snow/ice/thaw cycles that I've lost count. Nobody remembers a winter when there would've been green grass visible on the ground in each of the three months.

Wind makes things interesting and forces a different bag and adjusting in aiming, disc selection and form. It's an interesting and sometimes a frustrating challenge. But overall I think it adds spice to life :)

You should try spending the winter here in So Cal. You can play year round and there's no shortage of courses to play. :wink:

Triplebogey said:
JR said:
Bradley Walker said:

You should try spending the winter here in So Cal. You can play year round and there's no shortage of courses to play. :wink:

You've got to worry about becoming Arizona Bay though :).

Furthur said:
Triplebogey said:
JR said:
Bradley Walker said:

You've got to worry about becoming Arizona Bay though :).

That Arizona Bay reference means nothing to me care to elaborate in plain English what that means?

I friend of mine was and is again an ex pat near equator and said that there was only one season in the year and that meant boredom and old looking plants because they are old. Unlike here where almost everything dies or goes to hibernation for the winter. Spring and the smell of new plants blooming was a thing he missed in Finland. There are plenty of good sides to Finland and it's my home. Would you move to Mexico or farther down south? Even for normally bad DG weather? I choose to tough it out. I try to see it as conditioning for all weather play to make me a more complete disc golfer. All weather. Nothing previous generations haven't been able to with much worse conditions. Colder winters less, knowledge and technology...

If the next winter has normal amounts of snow I may have to practice elsewhere at least for a while. I've noticed that having to power down from legs and hips really has forced me to work on my approach stepping where I don't turn away so much from the target to loose sight of it. I've improved accuracy this way. A thick snow cover on the land would probably make me deadly :) I was for a while with my Wizard until I developed enough late power focus and acceleration to make my fingers stick to the disc no matter which grip variation I tried. I was lucky to develop a grip for the Roc to cover every style of throwing. Until today... The upside is improved distance and straighter lines

My ring finger has begun to stick occasionally. I've noticed a definite improvement in my acceleration ability which in the last weeks has lead to the soft part of my ring finger being squashed during heavy acceleration at the end of the throw. Leading to the disc not releasing cleanly and lingering in the finger for too long leading to grip lock and too late a release to the right. The exact same problem I had with Wizards. Since the Roc is thinner and different in shape and it suits me better grip wise I was happy with it.

Maybe I need to try to learn other grips than my 4 finger power grip variation for added input power not sticking to my fingers. The last time I tried hybrid fork/fan grip was nice until the weather got cold and wet. But now I have more power and acceleration... Oh well. Another round of torture. That is if I can't learn to release better.

JR said:
That Arizona Bay reference means nothing to me care to elaborate in plain English what that means?
California sits on a fault line. The idea is that eventually a big earthquake will come along and CA will "fall into the ocean." At that point, Arizona would be a costal state and where So. Cal. is now would be part of the Pacific Ocean right next to AZ.

Have you seen the movie "Superman" with Christopher Reeves and Gene Hackman? Lex Luthor's big plan was to buy a bunch of really cheap, desert real-estate and then launch nuclear missles at the fault so that CA would fall into the ocean and the land he bought would be really expensive, beach-front property.

Latest posts