• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange questions

Dire Wolfy

Still a puppy
So, my backhand isn't the most powerful and I would like some recommendations on midranges that can take decent power. The mids I currently throw now are a gold line compass, a star coyote for turnovers and a prime truth for finishing overstable. Is there anything that flies similar to any of those that can take a little more power? because sometimes I turn them over, would this be due to being beat in?

Last edited:
Yeah, SOMETIMES turning them over screams form issue.
In my experience if thrown well the Compass can take as much power as one can put into it and just fly straight.

I've only tried a handful of Compasses, but they could all handle full power shots without turning for me (none were worked in though). I'd be concerned that it's a form issue. Pretty much any mid should handle a clean 300' BH shot without doing anything weird, and the Compass can handle far more than that IME.

How far are you throwing these mids? Here's video of Eric McCabe throwing a Truth 300' on a rope. If yours is turning over, the form video suggestion is the best suggestion in this thread.

Last edited:
Yeah, SOMETIMES turning them over screams form issue.
In my experience if thrown well the Compass can take as much power as one can put into it and just fly straight.

Well...I've seen video of Ricky Wysocki turning a compass over too much on throws sometimes. He seems to throw the Anchor quite a lot now, which I makes sense to me. A soft hyzer with that is sometimes more reliable than a straighter throw with a Compass.

There are endless examples of pro players turning over their discs more than they wanted. This does does not necessarily mean they have form issues. Watch video of top players throwing drivers from hole #1 of Maples Hill Golds. It is almost impossible to predict where the discs will end up.

How far are you throwing these mids? Here's video of Eric McCabe throwing a Truth 300' on a rope. If yours is turning over, the form video suggestion is the best suggestion in this thread.

If I throw my compass correctly I can hit slightly over 200 feet.

If I throw my compass correctly I can hit slightly over 200 feet.

Turning your wrist most likely. Is the disc starting off tracking left or is it going on the desired line for a bit then turning left?

Definitely not the disc. Not saying that to be mean. I stand by my recommendation that you look for form advice. Fix the big stuff before it becomes a habit that's hard to break.

Well...I've seen video of Ricky Wysocki turning a compass over too much on throws sometimes. He seems to throw the Anchor quite a lot now, which I makes sense to me. A soft hyzer with that is sometimes more reliable than a straighter throw with a Compass.

There are endless examples of pro players turning over their discs more than they wanted. This does does not necessarily mean they have form issues. Watch video of top players throwing drivers from hole #1 of Maples Hill Golds. It is almost impossible to predict where the discs will end up.

giphy.gif

Not trying to be a dick, but you should just keep throwing what you have. Start practicing with really neutral putters and mids, aviar, compass (not familiar but seems to be pretty neutral), comet, QMS, whatever you have that is supposed to go dead straight. And by practice I mean not playing rounds, just go find an open space somewhere and throw at whatever target is available, a tree, your bag, anything that is repeatable. I'd bet you have a form issue, but I'm no expert on that.

Throwing just a bag full of used aviars has cleaned up my form quite a bit and added to consistency and accuracy. Practice makes perfect, and seems you have a good couple discs to practice with.

Last edited:
Not trying to be a dick, but you should just keep throwing what you have. Start practicing with really neutral putters and mids, aviar, compass (not familiar but seems to be pretty neutral), comet, QMS, whatever you have that is supposed to go dead straight. And by practice I mean not playing rounds, just go find an open space somewhere and throw at whatever target is available, a tree, your bag, anything that is repeatable. I'd bet you have a form issue, but I'm no expert on that.

Throwing just a bag full of used aviars has cleaned up my form quite a bit and added to consistency and accuracy. Practice makes perfect, and seems you have a good couple discs to practice with.

I have a practice basket that I use for practicing every now and then, and I don't use backhand much which is why I'm not consistent.

Latest posts