• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Might be a dumb newbie question and spin and snap

ChuckNorris

Okay everyone. I am having trouble wrapping my head around spin when you throw. I thought the disc rips out of your hand when you throw. I am not letting go, but people keep saying spin it, but do not elaborate. Can anyone fill me in? AnytHing to get extra yardage would help.

I'm not the expert by any means, but I tell family, friends, and acquaintances that, if you can snap a hand towel, you've got the feel for the velocity of the 'snap' you need to finish your drive. The disc does feel like it rips away from your fingers (in a good way), when you're doing it right. And it's not about muscling through, either. Repetition of good form & follow through, and you'll start feeling it snap/spin away from you as your arm continues through the release and the body finishes its rotation.

I also hear a lot of folks talking about "hammer drills". Maybe someone would link to those discussions?

And this is an OK place to post questions, but I'd peruse the Noobie Questions thread and look for more specifics in the Technique sub-forum. :thmbup:

Finally, expect some real good natured ribbing about your screen name...stuff like "Chuck Norris doesn't need snap/spin: he putts manhole covers in from 500'," and so on. :D

Don't think about spinning it, throwing with good form will naturally lead to getting more spin on the disc. There are some great threads about basic technique in the technique forum with great videos to explain it better than I could.

Don't think about spinning it, throwing with good form will naturally lead to getting more spin on the disc. There are some great threads about basic technique in the technique forum with great videos to explain it better than I could.

There you go. :clap:

Okay everyone. I am having trouble wrapping my head around spin when you throw. I thought the disc rips out of your hand when you throw. I am not letting go, but people keep saying spin it, but do not elaborate. Can anyone fill me in? AnytHing to get extra yardage would help.
Why don't you just give your disc a good roundhouse kick?

This is true.

I've been playing for awhile. The last two seasons I've gotten back into it and really wanted to play well. But it wasn't until late this season that everything sort of came together with my form and my snap and rip through all lined up. From that came tons of spin.

I wasn't "bad" before, I just wasn't where I wanted to be. But I can attest to really focusing on your form and smoothness and the rest will come.

I really like Will Schusterick's driving video. It's pretty pragmatic, but gives some really good pointers about reachback that helped me. Not everyone has a far reachback, but maybe you will be someone who will benefit from it. :)

You should definitely watch the videos and learn from the experts.

In my opinion, the main thing that causes the spin is your wrist whipping around and then suddenly stopping, causing the disc to get ejected from your grip. You can get a feel for that little wrist motion just practicing spin putting. Here is a Tip from the founder of Innova, where he is talking about a style of spin putting:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/downloads/disc-golf-videos.html?cat=7

and this one talks particularly about wrist action:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/download...t=7&s=1&vid=iz0ak4GP_cg&feature=youtube_gdata

Although many people would not agree with the wrist action thing for putting itself since Ken Climo perfected the Push Putt

Last edited: