• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mini Disc Golf Baskets - Home Made - Experience and Dimensions?

Jenga54

Double Eagle Member
I'm looking to (eventually) put in a permanent MDGC, and I'm looking for basket dimensions/measurements that work well for catching a range of minis. I'm looking to build permanent outdoor baskets, but want to get dimensions right before we do all that.

I've made the below home made basket that is portable and catches well, very fun to play around with inside (Minnesota winters are coming), but the Bucket Basket needs to be put on top of something for holes outside that we invent. My dimensions are below, with some size proportion of a Chainstar basket for perspective:

Width of Chains at top: 10" (43.5%)
Width of Bucket Basket: 11.25" (43.3%)
Vertical Opening: 9.5" (44.2%)
Chain Length: 12" (??)

For reference - Mini Magnet Marker is 47.2% diameter of a normal Magnet, MVP Nano is 50% diameter of an Ion/Anode

The Bucket Basket is very portable, the center post and minis fit in side the bucket, lid closes for easy portability. Materials cost about $18 for buying all new stuff. I feel like the basket is just a bit small (better putting practice?) but for the price and portability, I'm really happy with it.

What you need to buy/make:
15' Jack Chain
1 Bucket with Lid
3/4" wooden dowel, 14" long
15 small zip ties
12 wood screws (1.5" pan head)
11" circle of wood (bought a scrap shelf from the broken pile)
2 small scraps of wood to hold post
1" Key ring (also could use zip tie, paper clip bent in a circle)

Build -
Important to have exactly the same amount of links in each chain length
I used 15 chains, because my bucket lid had 30 ribs around the top
Drill small holes on either side of the ribs, every other rib
Cut 11" circle of wood
Drill 3/4" hole near the side of 11" circle for dowel storage!
Drill 3/4" holes in 2 scraps, center on wood circle and lid (Drill press for square and so it's a tight, not wobbly fit!)
Attach scrap #1 with 3/4" hole to lid with 4 screws, through the lid
Attach scrap #2 with 3/4" hole to wood circle (4 screws through wood circle)
Drop wood circle in bucket, attach 4" from top of bucket, 4 screws through bucket
Attach chains with a zip tie through the two holes around the ribs of the lid
Attach bottom links with circular object of choice (or string, small rope, twist tie...)

DONE! Just pick up the lid, pick up the dowel and place in dowel storage hole, put lid on top of bucket.

Please post up your mini baskets, and most importantly, their dimensions and catchability!

Photos -
169fehh.jpg

15s4u9w.jpg

1z5m7ir.jpg

2iglxly.jpg

2nhm9lg.jpg

Any prospective places to build this indoor course? I'm sure Hedfan1 would let you put a course in at his house...

Thinking of outside - 70' - 250' holes. Technical, challenging, fun... I bet one acre and you could do at least 9 holes.

i have 5 of these
they are cheap and catch very well

Attachments

• 2012-12-25_14-30-18_648.jpg
    2012-12-25_14-30-18_648.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 161
Could you post the measurements mattc?

Width of Chains at top: ?
Width of Bucket Basket: ?
Vertical Opening: ?
Chain Number / Length: ?

Or anyone have these to measure?

dga-MiniBasket.jpg

dc-mini.png

390918d2.jpg

Width of Chains at top: ?
Width of Bucket Basket: ?
Vertical Opening: ?
Chain Number / Length: ?

I have one of each. Shoot me a PM around 5 to remind me (horrible memory), and I'll measure mine.

Man I have been seriously working through some plans to build my own mini basket! Yours is awesome! This is the thread I've been looking for.

Thanks to tbird888 for measuring the Innova and DGA mini baskets! Specs below:

Basket Name: Innova Mini
Width of Chains at top: 11-3/8"
Width of Basket: 12-5/8" at the top, 10-3/4" at the bottom, 5-1/8" deep
Vertical Opening: 10" (nubs wrap around at ring)
Chain Number / Length: 15", 13 links, 1 S-hook at top, 2-1/2" ring at bottom, 18 sets of chains

Basket Name: DGA Mini
Width of Chains at top: 11"
Width of Basket: 13" at the top, 11" at the bottom, 4" deep
Vertical Opening: 7" from top of nubs, 7-1/2" from ring (nubs stick up above ring)
Chain Number / Length: 12", 20 links, 0 S-hooks, 1-1/2" ring at bottom, 12 sets of chains

Still kinda wanna know the dimensions of the "MiDGiT" basket the guys in PA use... Not sure if they sell them... Don't want to take their market share by posting their dimensions for everyone to copy... but they seem more "Spirit of the Game" so I think they would be OK with spreading the game across the world.

That said - anyone have dimensions of the MiDGiT?

With the above research, I think the below would make an excellent mini basket:
Chain Width: 11"
Basket Width: 13"
Vertical Opening: 10"
Chains/Configuration: 12 Outer/6 Staggered Inner
Chain Length: 12" Inner, 13" Outer
Make sure to get the chain weight just right. I think I like the DisCatcher Mini Chain the best.

I built one of these MiniBuckets per your instructions, Jenga, and after having used it for a week I can say that I love it. It was easy and cheap to build, and it catches minis effectively. I am going to add an inner set of 7 chains, and will post results after I have given it a trial.

:hfive:

Great! I will be posting a tutorial on the build soon!

Jenga thanks so much for posting the "how-to" video!! I'm going to build one asap!

Latest posts