• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mini Disc Golf Baskets - Home Made - Experience and Dimensions?

Sure are - None near me in MN. :\ See ->Search Results

A few of these and you've got a portable course all in the trunk of your car. Also, a great way to do some course design!

Just watched the video. Great work! I am going to have to find a Menards in the area and pick up one of those buckets. I will probably attempt to attach the chains closer to the outside of the lid. It looks like there's room without hindering the lid's ability to close. Any reason why you went on the inside instead?

I guess it's a trade off... most basket designs have the chain assembly smaller in diameter than the basket opening (23" wide chains, 26" basket) and also have some give on the top (sliding chain)

Using the inside of the lid rib gave me a 10" diameter chain assembly and a 11.25" bucket opening. I was betting that high center putts might still drop in, because the top chain link doesn't have any give. Going wider (although maybe some high ones dropping outside the bucket) would give a lot more space to catch slightly outside putts or knock them down, so that's probably the better route to go. This was my first design and tried to make it to scale.

Obviously if the chains are too wide, some putts will fall out. If they are too skinny you lose target area. In the perfect world, I would work in the test facility analyzing slow motion video to create the perfect design, but mine works pretty good.

Have fun making your Bucket Basket!

Shamelessly copied your idea and I have to say I'm liking the results. That you took the time to post your parts list and instructions is much appreciated. Thank you, sir.
:hfive:

Still kinda wanna know the dimensions of the "MiDGiT" basket the guys in PA use... Not sure if they sell them... Don't want to take their market share by posting their dimensions for everyone to copy... but they seem more "Spirit of the Game" so I think they would be OK with spreading the game across the world.

That said - anyone have dimensions of the MiDGiT?

With the above research, I think the below would make an excellent mini basket:
Chain Width: 11"
Basket Width: 13"
Vertical Opening: 10"
Chains/Configuration: 12 Outer/6 Staggered Inner
Chain Length: 12" Inner, 13" Outer
Make sure to get the chain weight just right. I think I like the DisCatcher Mini Chain the best.

if your on facebook get ahold of Donnie Brooks ...he is the mini man ....https://www.facebook.com/donnie.brooks.357?fref=ts

Wait. Are there seriously mini disc golf courses?

Search for courses in the Lancaster, PA area. You'll find some.

When I was planning a trip to that area, I wasn't interested in playing mini courses and kept running across them on my searches for standard courses here on dgcr.

Of course, I do have a mini basket now, Whamo I think, and I had to add inner chains. :D

I did add an inner set of 7 chains to my MiniBucket (affixed to a 3/4" plywood disc with screw eyes) and it reduced cut-throughs somewhat. All I could find at my local Menards was #16 jack chain, though, which I believe is of lighter gauge than #12.

I really like the design of the permanent basket. I will definitely be making one of these soon. This could also easily be scaled up to regulation basket-size using a heavier gauge wire. (Might have to heat heavier wire for the tight bends, though.)

I have a new design in mind for a full size basket, I may post up some drawings, but there is another thread for home made full size baskets. Winter time is building time.

See the end of the permanent basket video - I think the bucket basket with a treated wood base (or even a 2x4 cross brace in the center) would be a fast and practical outdoor basket. Just a a 2x4 cross brace would support the bucket, you just may have to reach down into the bucket to retrieve minis but no big deal. Hand saw, screw driver and a way to make holes in a bucket top are all the tools requires for that one.

First off, sorry if I am digging up an old thread. This is my first post.

I really dig your bucket basket design Jenga! I came across you video last week and have been drawing up ideas to make my own since. And tonight I found this thread which inspired me to sign up to personally let you know I liked your design. (real mini cage also)
I plan on making my buckets twice as high by using a second bucket and stacking them. I plan to use a couple pieces of wood to hold the 2 buckets together when stacked. Gonna also light it up like I lit up my other cage for night play. I will post pics of my complete project when I get it built.

Attachments

• MiniCage.jpg
    MiniCage.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20140627_023735.jpg
    20140627_023735.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 35
That's awesome!

I've been meaning to build my next bucket - it's summer now so I've been trying to play.... in the winter I get to building something.
I think my next bucket will be a combination of the first bucket, and the mini cage. I could easily make a course with the below set-up:

Step 1 buy orange bucket/top from orange home hardware store and conduit
Step 2 cut bucket in half
Step 3 create basket bottom with treated wood bottom
Step 4 drill hole through bottom
Step 4 using conduit, attach full length pole through hole
Step 5 create base (bucket bottom filled with concrete or flat base w/hole)

Attachments

• best.png
    best.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 37
Wait. Are there seriously mini disc golf courses?

There are 7 mini courses here in Lancaster PA that we play in rotation every Thursday year round! 2 are public, 1 is semi-public and the other 4 are on private property but you can play by appointment. There is also an ancient one that I don't think it's used anymore. Couldn't ask for a better group of guys to throw with. We have a blast every time we get together.

Minis are my new passion. I even go out to my local regular sized course and throw minis. :D

Still kinda wanna know the dimensions of the "MiDGiT" basket the guys in PA use... Not sure if they sell them... Don't want to take their market share by posting their dimensions for everyone to copy... but they seem more "Spirit of the Game" so I think they would be OK with spreading the game across the world.

That said - anyone have dimensions of the MiDGiT?

With the above research, I think the below would make an excellent mini basket:
Chain Width: 11"
Basket Width: 13"
Vertical Opening: 10"
Chains/Configuration: 12 Outer/6 Staggered Inner
Chain Length: 12" Inner, 13" Outer
Make sure to get the chain weight just right. I think I like the DisCatcher Mini Chain the best.

I can get you these specs. I play on these regularly. It may take until next Thursday. I am busy tomorrow and this weekend (my mini throwing days)

I think they have a ton of chains, which I think would work really well.

Dear parks dept, I don't need 27 acres anymore, I just need that little corner over there... This could work!

Well, I took your initial concept and added a few of my ideas and changed a couple things up just to see how it would work out. I took it out to my buddy's cabin this weekend and it worked out great!

The biggest change I made was in the chains. I found this black chain that was 1 gauge smaller than your specs. It was $. 65/ft. so I figured I would try it out. Also thought it would look cool with the blue buckets. I did the 15 chains and that is what we played with over the weekend. Worked OK but direct impacts bounced out so when I got home I used the rest of the extra material I had and added 6 inner rings to the wood I used for the top which was already cut out to be a circle.

My additions are pretty visible here. I got a second bucket to use as a base to get the basket up to a better height. I mounted little blocks of wood to the bottom of the top bucket so that when stacked the buckets do not slide apart. That worked out great. One guy had a 150+ foot drive hit the top bucket square and it did not budge. The next addition is my light. We love throwing glows at the cabin and a lit up target looks great out in the dark.

Here are some quick shots. I can take more close ups of the details if anybody wants to see them.

Here it is next to my 15+ year old "Weber" basket to get an idea of the height...

Here are a couple shots closer up...

And here it is all lit up in the dark...

Sorry I have not gotten the measurements of the Midget basket yet. I keep forgetting to take a tape measure with me to the courses they are at. I will get the measurements soon.

Sorry I have not gotten the measurements of the Midget basket yet. I keep forgetting to take a tape measure with me to the courses they are at. I will get the measurements soon.

I got to take a look at one at Gotta Go Gotta Throw and they are sweet. Didn't get out the tape measure, but if I remember correctly, this one had 13 outer and 13 inner chains. Maybe wider than a bucket, and basket wider too. With all those chains it caught everything - and softly and effortlessly at that. Can I justify (28 * 14") of chain for the next one? If it catches that well, probably yes.

Latest posts