• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mini Disc Golf Baskets - Home Made - Experience and Dimensions?

Hey Jenga! I finally got around to building a cage following your basic concept and adjusting some details. I need to put another layer of paint on the metal. I did the painting before assembly but a lot of the paint scratched off when stringing the hoops through the holes. Here are some pics of my basket as of today. I kept the wood exposed. Figured since wood was used I might as well feature it. I put a couple layers of urethane on the wood to protect it. I may add an inner at of chains and I am going to reduce the height gap between the top of the basket and the bucket. I used parts that are used on some of my other baskets I bought so I can interchange all the parts.

The next one will be a little different. The first one above ended up being a little smaller and the bucket is only 3.5" tall. Not sure how I missed that! The top will be a little more streamlined also. The ring will be on the inside. Below is a shot of the metal used on the cage (primer ones on the inside) and the new metal I will be using for the next one.

I also adjusted the bucket basket that I made last year to have a pipe bar and upgraded the chains. You can see that in the group shot below.
I am now at 7 portable mini baskets! 2 home made ones based on your concepts and 4 different professionally made ones. (2 of the Yellow Jackets from Donnie).

So me and a buddy went out and bought a few used discatcher baskets from a local club who upgraded baskets a few years ago. These are the older Innova Baskets with the single round of chains. After we sand and repaint all the metal, we're going to add a second set of chains like the newest ones have. I see where Innova uses 2/0 galvanized chain for the newer stuff, yet the 2/0 stuff at the local home Depot and Lowes are definitely a little rough for the galvanized stuff. Any pros or cons going with SS versus hot dip galvanized chain?

We're also going to make wheeled bases for these as they're going to live at home with us as practice baskets, probably out of tractor discs with small handtruck wheels to move em.

BTW, we learned that 5 is all that will fit safely in the back of a shortbed pickup lol.

Latest posts