• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Minneapolis glow?

WastedSpace

Bogey Member
Starting to plan our 17th annual disc trip, and we're hitting up the greater Minneapolis area from July 19-23. Certainly nowhere near the quantity of Lion's trip (we're slow), and have a pretty good list based mostly on reviews here, but here's a couple questions:

First, where do we glow (where do we glow, now)? This is always an essential part of the trip, and we'd much rather play a course that's more out of the way than having to sneak in/around midnight marauder style. Anywhere support glow, or is at least tolerant?

Are there any courses not listed here that we should hit? Always seem to stumble across a private course that's amazing, so just throwing it out there.

Anything else we need to know? Mosquitos that terrible? Any poison ivy/oak/etc.?

We usually camp, but a couple of us are squeezing this in among other family vacations, so we'll probably try to find a vrbo or the like somewhere. Any ideas on ideally located areas? Sounds like traffic can be a beast, so that leads me to...

Any courses that we should be sure to hit on a weekday that are usually swamped? Or tournaments to avoid?

Thanks in advance- any input is appreciated.

Vision quest has camping available at the course. Great course sleep there and golf cart rental.

Blue ribbon pines is only a few minutes away from vision quest

Both must plays

Don't know how close to Minneapolis your trying to stay.

im going to disagree vq is complete **** and gimmicky and brp isnt as great as it used to be

Appreciate the responses. Since we're out there, we'll most certainly be playing Vision Quest and BRP. Always quality over quantity. Other courses on the list:

Bryant
Kaposia
The Valley
Hidden Lake
Lakewood Hills

Anything else close to town a must hit? We arrive midday on the 19th, and will probably play one course that day before we find our accommodations. Then we have full days on the 20th, 21st, and 22nd. Out on the 23rd, have time for at least one course.

A couple more questions:

Is Bethel worth it? Crown College?
Worth it to drive to Chains Edge?
Or anything further north? Giants Ridge? Mont du Lac?

Mont du Lac and Chains Edge; both top notch destinations. (I've never managed to make it to Giants Ridge. Don't know about Crown. I enjoyed Bethel.)

Appreciate the responses. Since we're out there, we'll most certainly be playing Vision Quest and BRP. Always quality over quantity. Other courses on the list:

Bryant
Kaposia
The Valley
Hidden Lake
Lakewood Hills

Anything else close to town a must hit? We arrive midday on the 19th, and will probably play one course that day before we find our accommodations. Then we have full days on the 20th, 21st, and 22nd. Out on the 23rd, have time for at least one course.

A couple more questions:

Bethel might be the best course in the state. I love the white cedar course at mont du lac. But that's 2 hours from Minneapolis, so time consuming travel. Others to look into would be afton alps, hyland hills

Mont du Lac and Chains Edge; both top notch destinations. (I've never managed to make it to Giants Ridge. Don't know about Crown. I enjoyed Bethel.)

Giants ridge is pretty wild.. it's also a pretty long ride fron the cities

Bethel is awesome and depending where you drive from crown college is a legitimate course

Bryant
Kaposia
The Valley
Hidden Lake
Lakewood Hills

A couple more questions:

so we can fit your requirements what do you enjoy most about dg courses and what is your skill level

Bryant
Kaposia
The Valley
Hidden Lake
Lakewood Hills

We hit up a few of these courses last year on our DG trip to Minnesota. BRP is a must play and nothing like calling in an order for a burger and beer in the middle of your round. Very well maintained course with some fun holes.

Vision Quest was interesting. Guess my expectations were a bit high when this course was list in the Top 25 in the country on DGCR. Wasnt as pristine as I assumed, some gimmicky holes and good golf. Not blown away by this place like I was at BRP. Not saying it was bad, just different from the vision I had in my head.

Bryant Lake was really nice and very well maintained. Multiple pads and baskets for each hole made it very replayable. I enjoyed this course a lot and some of the elevation changes were great.

Kicking myself for missing out on Kaposia :wall:

We finished at the Valley which was another nice course. Good mix of wooded and open holes. Fun course but I might range Bryant a tad higher. Hard to go wrong as Minnesota offered some fun disc golf and would definitely go back again.

so we can fit your requirements what do you enjoy most about dg courses and what is your skill level

We enjoy all types of courses, but appreciate variety within a course (elevation, balance of left&right, wooded/open) as long as the design is thoughtful and fair. Nice to have to decide between signature holes. Always fine with a good walk- no need for packed in parks with barely separated fairways. We'd much rather take our time on a great course with little traffic than be rushed on a spectacular course with groups everywhere. Love 'signature courses' that really highlight what the area is all about.

As far as skill level, we've got 80+ years of experience between the four of us, and even though only one of us plays tournaments, I'd call us all 'advanced'. We all love a challenge; in fact, I'd say the tougher the better, as long as it's tough in the sense of great layout and hitting lines. We've all got plenty of shots in our bags.

Still wondering about glow options. We'd prefer to just go solo over playing in some kind of league- we've got everything we need to light up a course! Asking about glow at VisionQuest, which is the ideal setup: playing glow on a course that is happy having us there, and not worried about getting kicked out just for playing.

Latest posts