• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Minnesota Amateur League about to start 6th Season

smarkquart

* Ace Member *
I am one of three founders of a Twin Cities' based amateur league. We have a solid core of 15 players but we are looking to double that size. We figure that 25-30 core players would be ideal.

Just so you know what we are looking for, we range from absolute beginners up to approximately 930 ranked players. The rating is just a hint of where we stand and being a PDGA member with a rating is not a requirement. Most of our core players fall in the 880 to 910 range, well enough to know what we are doing and talking about, can occassionally make the big shot, but basically can have a good time knowing we are not going to be setting the course on fire.

As a league we meet once a month. Each month it is a different course and we are working through a five year rotation of all the major Twin Cities and surrounding courses. This year we highlight Oakwood, Lakewood Hills, The Valley, Fort Snelling (red tees), Elm Creek, and as always finish the year at Bryant Lake. The way it works is that we meet once a month as a whole league, but three times in the month you will play head to head matches with individual players. These matches help determine who you will play with at the events.

Head to head matches are simply scored wins and losses. League events are played using skins and only your place within your group matters. Like most leagues, we also have Ace Pools and CTP Pools. What makes us different aside from only meeting once a month at various locations are that as a league we make an annual road trip out of state (this year Highbridge) and we host our own Discraft Ace Race. Obviously it is open to the public, but having it a mandatory expense in your entry fee ensures that no matter how many or few from the public play, we are able to run a sanctioned Ace Race.

Obviously there many more details, but I can save them for emails, PMs, and or if you can talk to me in person.

Our first event is March 24th at Wabun. This is a preseason event and it is customary to be at a small course to help people get back into playing (not all of us play all winter long). At this Preseason event you are not required to pay or commit at that time, but it will give you a taste of what we are about so you can decide before our first official league event on April 14th.

Any further questions, feel free to contact me at [email protected] or PM me.

What time at Wabun??? I might be down for this it sounds like fun. I work 5 miles from Wabun play there 3 times a week all year long...

What time at Wabun??? I might be down for this it sounds like fun. I work 5 miles from Wabun play there 3 times a week all year long...

Just to be clear, Wabun is a one time preseason deal. We play a different course every month and there are enough large courses in the area that we are on a five year rotation.

With that said, we will officially meet at Wabun at 10. It will probably be ten to fifteen minutes of me talking and answering questions as most of the core players know the spiel. However, when ever possible, I try to be there by 9 or a little earlier. I like to warm up and be there for other players who show up early. One of the other founders usually handles the scoring and match-ups, but I always like to be there early just in the case. I handle most of the rules and MC duties.

sounds like you guys are doing a lot of east side courses. we run a meet up on the east side on monday nights that go to all those locatoins. also we are doing an ace race at wabun the next weekend that will be a championship fundraiser for the mnadgc in may.

Just to be clear, Wabun is a one time preseason deal. We play a different course every month and there are enough large courses in the area that we are on a five year rotation.

With that said, we will officially meet at Wabun at 10. It will probably be ten to fifteen minutes of me talking and answering questions as most of the core players know the spiel. However, when ever possible, I try to be there by 9 or a little earlier. I like to warm up and be there for other players who show up early. One of the other founders usually handles the scoring and match-ups, but I always like to be there early just in the case. I handle most of the rules and MC duties.

FYI assuming I remember I'm gonna be calling you MC Scotty Mac for a while, just because it will amuse me.

sounds like you guys are doing a lot of east side courses. we run a meet up on the east side on monday nights that go to all those locatoins. also we are doing an ace race at wabun the next weekend that will be a championship fundraiser for the mnadgc in may.

We just have not hit them up in a while. The last two years we were concentrating on the extremes (at least compared to where most of the league lives) like Blaine, Crown College, and Red Oak.

This is also says something about Minnesota Disc Golf. Most of the bigger courses are on the East Side. There are more courses on the West, but most of those are of the 9-12 hole variety. Our league, since it only meets once a month as a group, tries to hit bigger courses to make it worth our while.

What weekend are you doing the Wabun Ace Race? I do not want us to interfere. Our league could be anywhere from 15 to 30 people there. Most other courses this is not a big deal, but at Wabun, well that pretty much takes up the whole course.

Bumped for freshness. We are only three weeks from the (pre)season.

We tee off at or around 10am. Player's meeting should only last about 15-20 minutes and then away we go playing. If you have any questions, show up a little early and talk to me. I am notorious for showing up at least an hour earlier than tee time just to get in some practice and be there when people arrive.

Motley is Sunday, Wabun, March 18th at 2pm. Predicted to be 75 degrees. Bring your putters and two dollars.

BALRODG is Saturday, Wabun, March 24th at 10am. Predicted to be in high 50s. This is a preseason event, so bring whatever discs you like but my guess is only putters and mids because we are playing for skins and parking a drive is more important than ace running the basket.

Latest posts