• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Minnesota winters

throwing in the towel probably. even if it wasn't totally miserable playing dg when its cold, my discs all fly like garbage. time for hyland to open

Just played a tourney @ Plymouth Creek and the teepads weren't in too bad of shape. Nice course to play in the winter if you live in the west metro but @ only 12 holes it's not worth the drive.

Haven't had the chance to make it out these last couple days due to work, but plan on getting out on Monday if it's not too windy. Gotta get me some new socks and maybe some hand warmers for my muff.

Just played a tourney @ Plymouth Creek and the teepads weren't in too bad of shape. Nice course to play in the winter if you live in the west metro but @ only 12 holes it's not worth the drive.

That is why you play two rounds. Actually Plymouth is a very good winter course. With the creek and the majority of the holes sitting in the bowl created by the stream, it is fairly protected against the wind. Snow can pile up on Holes 7 and 12, but the rest of the holes are usually not bad as long as you keep it near the fairway. Even the shorts which cut down on the blind shots are challenging enough to keep you interested.

I am curious whether Hole 13 is ever going to become a permanent one. I like that temp hole and it would add a lot to the course, especially if some of the small branches were trimmed away by numerous arrant throws.

I have one but use is still limited... I can set it up in my field or Church Gym but that's the extent of it :/

Finding a place to simply throw is always a premium. The park district around here is very grumpy about just throwing in the park after the baskets are pulled. Sometimes I just find a nice parking lot that has been plowed and just drive. Usually these parking lots still have a sliver of a snow layer still on, protecting the disc from road rash.

I am blessed that I have numerous courses that are still in the ground during the winter, but sometimes just going out with a friend, slapping down a portable basket in the middle of the park, and just throwing at it from different spots all the while shooting the bull can be just as enjoyable as playing a real round. It is all about the company.

That is why you play two rounds. Actually Plymouth is a very good winter course. With the creek and the majority of the holes sitting in the bowl created by the stream, it is fairly protected against the wind. Snow can pile up on Holes 7 and 12, but the rest of the holes are usually not bad as long as you keep it near the fairway. Even the shorts which cut down on the blind shots are challenging enough to keep you interested.

I am curious whether Hole 13 is ever going to become a permanent one. I like that temp hole and it would add a lot to the course, especially if some of the small branches were trimmed away by numerous arrant throws.

Don't get me wrong ... I really like PC. It's my home course though which makes me somewhat biased. But it is nice for windy days because you're really only affected on a few holes ... and the middle holes of the coures, 4-9 are definitely play much warmer because of he park's terrain.

For yesterday's tournament the 13th hole was placed on an exposed sand bar immediately across the creek from hole 5 ... instead of tucked back in the woods further from the creek. It was a really cool hole, sitting about 5 feet from the creek. Your second shot had to be perfect or a lay-up was in order ... I definitely ran my second shot for the basket and my missed was punished with an OB stroke.

Don't get me wrong ... I really like PC. It's my home course though which makes me somewhat biased. But it is nice for windy days because you're really only affected on a few holes ... and the middle holes of the coures, 4-9 are definitely play much warmer because of he park's terrain.

For yesterday's tournament the 13th hole was placed on an exposed sand bar immediately across the creek from hole 5 ... instead of tucked back in the woods further from the creek. It was a really cool hole, sitting about 5 feet from the creek. Your second shot had to be perfect or a lay-up was in order ... I definitely ran my second shot for the basket and my missed was punished with an OB stroke.

I believe that is its normal spot when Solberg runs leagues and tournaments. Somehow through some magic I usually get a two on that shot. A Hornet or Ghost thrown softly usually finds that narrow opening and using some acrobatic stretching I can putt in for a two.

how do i never hear about these tournaments?

The annual Winter Blaster tournament is next weekend. Why did I only hear about today, I do not know. Last year was the first year in five years I did not attend. The incredibly short notice this year for this tournament means that it will be the second year in a row that I cannot make it.

However, I am definitely not going to miss the Winter Carnival tournament in late January. Most likely I am only going to make the Sunday round. However, if the Pine Wood Derby gets moved, then I will be free all weekend and then I will be tempted to play the all night marathon round. I currently have the record of 218 holes.

I haven't gotten out yet since it's snowed, but hopefully tonight or later this week for a quick round. If anyone is looking for people to play with PM me.

wWw - Winter Westside Wednesday - 6pm tee

12/12/12 - Hansen Park
12/19/12 - Plymouth Creek
12/26/12 - Staring Lake Park

First time Minnesota winter playing

Yesterday, while heading home to Mora, from Minneapolis, I had the urge to play in the fresh, deep snow.:doh:

I called a friend, and we met at Ham Lake DGC. The parking lot was well plowed, and no one was there. We had at least an hour of light, so we plowed through calf-deep and some knee-deep snow to tee #1.

No one had yet played, and the heavy snow sitting in the trees was amazing.

We got used to figuring out by the thin slices into the snow where our discs were (we didn't have any ribbons or tape with us), and only had trouble finding a disc one time, on hole #8, after a really nice drive for both of us to within 8' of the basket.

I took some great photos, but due to an iPhone problem, lost all of them,:wall: including Bill sinking a nice putt from deep in the woods on hole #6.:clap:

On hole #9, I threw a 250' drive directly in line with the hole, landing it between two trees. I then putted it in 114' to finish with an eagle (or birdie, depending on par for that hole). My longest putt yet.

It actually wasn't too cold. I wore gloves on both hands, and removed one to throw, then put it right back on. Nice boots kept my feet plenty warm.

Blue Ribbon Pines, in East Bethel, is open all year round, and stated that all fairways should be fully plowed by midday today, Tuesday.

I have to say, I'm glad that disc golf CAN be a year-round sport.

DonB!
Mora, MN

Hmm... Tomorrow might be hard for me to make, but the next two I will try to make. Would be fun to play with some people a bit more experienced than I am.

Thanks for the info!
wWw - Winter Westside Wednesday - 6pm tee

12/12/12 - Hansen Park
12/19/12 - Plymouth Creek
12/26/12 - Staring Lake Park

Might have to get my snowshoes out for some of the courses that aren't plowed then :).
Yesterday, while heading home to Mora, from Minneapolis, I had the urge to play in the fresh, deep snow.:doh:

I called a friend, and we met at Ham Lake DGC. The parking lot was well plowed, and no one was there. We had at least an hour of light, so we plowed through calf-deep and some knee-deep snow to tee #1.

No one had yet played, and the heavy snow sitting in the trees was amazing.

We got used to figuring out by the thin slices into the snow where our discs were (we didn't have any ribbons or tape with us), and only had trouble finding a disc one time, on hole #8, after a really nice drive for both of us to within 8' of the basket.

I took some great photos, but due to an iPhone problem, lost all of them,:wall: including Bill sinking a nice putt from deep in the woods on hole #6.:clap:

On hole #9, I threw a 250' drive directly in line with the hole, landing it between two trees. I then putted it in 114' to finish with an eagle (or birdie, depending on par for that hole). My longest putt yet.

It actually wasn't too cold. I wore gloves on both hands, and removed one to throw, then put it right back on. Nice boots kept my feet plenty warm.

Blue Ribbon Pines, in East Bethel, is open all year round, and stated that all fairways should be fully plowed by midday today, Tuesday.

I have to say, I'm glad that disc golf CAN be a year-round sport.

DonB!
Mora, MN