• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Missilen (The Missile)

Another thing I noticed is that it does not take much in the way of dirt and mud to clog the hexes and make it impossible to clean. I am concerned that if mud and whatnot become packed in the hexes, will that not simply negate the positive effect of having those hexes there in the first place? The only way I got it cleaned when I got home was to acetone it out. Regular water and a paper towel was not good enough. I would hate to have an open field, grass-only driver.

I agree with this. I played in a field and after my first throw there was dirt in a few grooves.

I got mine in the mail today and took it to a big open field. I threw it on a bit of an anny a couple of times and it turned quite a bit more than I was expecting which was really nice. It was even able to come back and fade a decent amount to land straight in front of me way up the filed. I can't give distance because it is an empty field, I just use a ditch and some phone poles to mark myself and with that forehand shot, that was easily one of my best distances ever. I throw RHBH and there was a strong left to right wind and it never got caught in the wind and faded too hard. It is a decent disc that I will never backhand because I don't throw hard enough that way to throw big discs but I'm working on it but it is a solid disc for me that is going to make the bag as a utility disc and a max distance forehand driver.

Once again though I will have to clean this after playing in the mud which I don't like but I guess it's part of owning this disc. Because that could add a significant amount of weight to this disc but I love the disc.

The question about whether some glide or lift would be sacrificed with the lesser wind resistance is answered for us I think by the lack of this geometry on airplane wings or other aerospace tech. A lot of brilliant minds working on those designs, and I've never seen a wing with a hex pattern on it. And an airplane wing and helicopter blade are much more similar to a DG disc than a golf ball is.

What exactly does the failure to use that geometry in airplane wings show? Drag is direct consequence of aerodynamic lift (although other things, notably friction, also cause drag). The more aerodynamic lift, the more drag - period. The drag that the hex dimples are supposed to alleviate is drag caused by the friction of air moving over the surface of the disc.

That aircraft don't use dimples might simply be an indication that the benefits for an aircraft are just too small to justify the added expense of putting little dimples all over every piece of sheet metal on the outer surface of every plane. But for a disc or golf ball, just get those dimples in the mold once and you're done.

Last edited:
Airplane wings and helicopter blades wouldn't have any kind of need for something like this. They're both designed to push air down and enough of it consistently to maintain a smooth, controllable flight. Pushing air down, and the angle at which its pushed creates lift that is overseen by a pilot.

Discs aren't going for lift, not in the same sense. The revolutions a disc makes in flight and how that effects its flight pattern (turn and fade as the spin slows) also separate them further from aircraft. L64 has made the claim that the extra distance brought on by the hexagon-dimples is evident, "especially when the disc lands." Meaning that the dimples are designed to cut drag as much as possible because other things control the flight (shape, flight plate, dome etc).

I am just about as anti-math as it gets but I would like to see some data on other shapes and whatnot that they tried to claim that the hex shape serves the best for the purpose. Definitely got some questions for Tomas over there ;)

As for the dirt, on my ball golf bag I carry a nylon hair brush for cleaning similar grooves on the golf balls and grooves of my wedges. Anyone tried one of these yet?

helicopter blades and wings of some planes actually are textured (generally sandblasted like the 2nd run ions) though that's just a different concept than a flying disc.

Cool thread drift.

I actually got one of the deco dyes because Toby is an upseller but I don't intend to throw it. It's just cool and limited and someone might want to buy it off me later. I don't care for how it feels. Too wide of a rim.

Cool thread drift.

I actually got one of the deco dyes because Toby is an upseller but I don't intend to throw it. It's just cool and limited and someone might want to buy it off me later. I don't care for how it feels. Too wide of a rim.

You shouldn't let Toby push you around like that.

You shouldn't let Toby push you around like that.

I'll tell him that lol. He's actually always got some smart suggestions. When Paul McBeth was in the shop before the GBO he said "hey you should buy a Roc3 and have him sign it" That was a good idea. I'll pick my moment though and stand up to him one day. Problem is he knows what I like and it's hard to say he's wrong.

I'll tell him that lol. He's actually always got some smart suggestions. When Paul McBeth was in the shop before the GBO he said "hey you should buy a Roc3 and have him sign it" That was a good idea. I'll pick my moment though and stand up to him one day. Problem is he knows what I like and it's hard to say he's wrong.

cute story brah.

cute story brah.

home_splash.gif

Missed you, pumpkin.

So does anyone have a complete opinion on this disc? I mean how useful it is, how much different is it from another distance driver that has more glide but is slower? I just am wondering if I might even be able to step up and throw this thing just because I'm curious what it's like, but in reality I am not going over speed 11 for a long time.

I just am wondering about the high speed low glide of this thing and how those lil hexies affect its flight. If someone comes out with a speed 16 driver I'm going to $h!t a disc :eek:

Haha I never thought about mud clogging up the dimples though. Sounds like that might be an issue. Don't forget to bring a towel!

Last edited:
It is fast, I'll give it that. Very power hungry. Since it gets pretty much all of its distance from speed, if you can't get it up to speed you won't get much from it. You can squeeze a lot of distance out of it in a really low line if you have the juice for it though. I'll be interested to see how it does for the big power guys. I usually top out in the low 400's on my best days.

Also, the hexs aren't that hard to clean out. I used an old toothbrush and some water and mine looks brand new.

I have Deco Dye Missilen (172 grams), and at first glance, it looked a little domey and low PLH, and I guessed it might fly like a boss based on this.

On the 2 times I threw it, it's flies like a seasoned boss, and wanted to roll. That is kind of disappointing so far because I flick max 420 feet, and I'm at sea level. So, I like newer bosses for flicking -- I get a nice serpentine flight out of them for Maximum distance.

Though I am going into elevation soon with lots of wind, so Maybe it'll just be my 500 foot max downwind bomber forehand disc, we'll see.

I had one of the better players in Canada backhand it, and he says it flies similar to a bottom stamp destroyer for him.

Maybe an Opto line Missilen at 175 grams will fly truer to its flight numbers.

Welp, finally got a chance to throw this. 172g opto. It's blue, so that tells you everything you need to know :\ Hahaha. For reference, I throw my trespasses around 400' on the course...not max d open field. This disc is definitely fast...And that's about all I can say for it. It is overstable, but not stiletto overstable. I threw it on a 45 degree anny expecting it to pull out immediately like my stiletto, and it held to the ground. next time I threw it, I threw it on about a 25 degree anny on a very hard rip. This thing will not turn over, but it held that anny and fought fought fought for 3/4 of the flight when it hooked up, finishing out around 400'. Again, I had to rip on this thing...but got a great flight out of it. This thing as next to no glide...all the distance was from speed, which again, this has a lot of. Very close to the fastest disc I've thrown, if not the fastest. Overhand with this thing is weird. Weird, weird, weird. This thing tried flipping over twice on a normal tommy. Goes straight up and straight down, while trying to flip over as many times as possible...dare I say aerobie epic...Hahaha. :eek: No distance overhand. I will never throw this disc again, but glad I did just because of how interesting it is.

Welp, finally got a chance to throw this. 172g opto. It's blue, so that tells you everything you need to know :\ Hahaha. For reference, I throw my trespasses around 400' on the course...not max d open field. This disc is definitely fast...And that's about all I can say for it. It is overstable, but not stiletto overstable. I threw it on a 45 degree anny expecting it to pull out immediately like my stiletto, and it held to the ground. next time I threw it, I threw it on about a 25 degree anny on a very hard rip. This thing will not turn over, but it held that anny and fought fought fought for 3/4 of the flight when it hooked up, finishing out around 400'. Again, I had to rip on this thing...but got a great flight out of it. This thing as next to no glide...all the distance was from speed, which again, this has a lot of. Very close to the fastest disc I've thrown, if not the fastest. Overhand with this thing is weird. Weird, weird, weird. This thing tried flipping over twice on a normal tommy. Goes straight up and straight down, while trying to flip over as many times as possible...dare I say aerobie epic...Hahaha. :eek: No distance overhand. I will never throw this disc again, but glad I did just because of how interesting it is.

You didn't say if you were throwing forehand or backhand when you got it out to 400 feet.

But I have a feeling I'm going to display my Missilen on the wall, so when people come over, I can show them How different Disc golf discs are/can be compared to Frisbees.

I was throwing these RHBH...did not throw it sidearm.

I was throwing these RHBH...did not throw it sidearm.

Good to know, thanks, I also see you are at sea level.

I think this disc has some potential in Opto plastic at 2000+ ft elevation, but, I already have a first run champion boss that I use for those courses at present..so don't know if I'll buy an Opto plastic Missilen yet.

I've had mine for a little over a week now (172, blue opto, and domey btw) and I am enjoying it a lot, I'm mainly a destroyer-trespass thrower and average 350+. My first impression of this was definitely that it is extremely fast but my personal favorite element is the accuracy, this thing holds any line you want to put it on. I can throw it on a pretty good anny and it will hold that line then pop straight at the end of the flight and finish on a good forward skip with a slight left turn (rhbh thrower also). I can throw it nice and flat and it takes off straight at its target. It holds up in the wind as well, a flat and level throw will turn right but not roll over and will pull up and finish left. This is quickly becoming a go to for me and I am considering ordering another at max weight just to have a few more options.

Box'o'Rocs, are you throwing it into the wind? If so, does it's speed cut through for more distance?

This "may" be an interesting option for into the wind forehand. Right now I'm using an overstable quantum Quasar, but it comes out of the anny I put on it pretty quickly, even into the wind. It will also rise more than I'd like into a gust of wind.

What I really want to know from someone on the plains... can it cut through big wind gusts and keep going without the "rise and quick fade"?

Latest posts