• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mistaken backhand "griplock" releases where the disc flies far and magically.

hisdudeness47

Birdie Member
Mistaken backhand "griplock" releases where the disc flies far and magically.

You know the throw... the backhand release where it sort of sticks to your hand and comes out right of your target line (for a righty) but with beautiful snap, magical turn (sometimes never fading), and distance you didn't know you had. This happens sometimes when I'm playing and it happened a few times today during field work as I was working on my hips, plant foot angle, and brace. I'm hitting 450-500 feet on these "mistake" throws when my typical max is 375-400. These throws are a mistake and are often inaccurate (as the line is way right of target but sometimes they fade back somewhat close) but they feel right, kind of like its ripping out of my hand at the right moment vs my typical release. Something is clicking properly but I can't replicate it when I try. I haven't quite put my finger on what it is.

What is happening with these throws that I'm not doing normally? How can I harness that power/snap? How can I harness it on the CORRECT line? What's the sauce? I know I have this distance but I can't do it on command. I feel like I'm right on the edge of something awesome.

Last edited:
I was recently given a tip that, instead of putting my plant foot directly in the line of the throw, to set it a bit left of the line. It immediately made sense to me, for the same experience you're having; and immediately helped my (meager) distance.

I couldn't say why; I'm guessing it's keeping the hips (or shoulders) closed a little longer.

I was recently given a tip that, instead of putting my plant foot directly in the line of the throw, to set it a bit left of the line. It immediately made sense to me, for the same experience you're having; and immediately helped my (meager) distance.

I couldn't say why; I'm guessing it's keeping the hips (or shoulders) closed a little longer.

Yeah I really do think it has something to do with my right hip. On these throws I can really feel a pronounced whip/snap, more than normal. I was/am definitely planting open and flying open early and that's what I'm workin on.

How can I trick myself into keeping my right hip closed juuuuuuust a bit longer?

Yeah I really do think it has something to do with my right hip. On these throws I can really feel a pronounced whip/snap, more than normal. I was/am definitely planting open and flying open early and that's what I'm workin on.

How can I trick myself into keeping my right hip closed juuuuuuust a bit longer?

The advice I was given, was to put your plant foot down further left than where you have been. That is, don't move diagonally across the tee; move straight towards the line of throw, but put that last foot down left of that line.

With a grain of salt; I'm no expert on form. Just a tip I was given, that helped me.

And that I suspect is related to that experience of "griplocking" with surprising distance.

This is exactly what I wrote about in the thread I posted the other day--but I was initially talking about getting the disc out nose down.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140556

I played Thursday knowing in my previous round, I had not been able to duplicate my field work on the course. I had some of my best drives ever on the more open holes. Couple that I screwed up, but I think that holding the disc a fraction longer can add a lot of snap and distance.

I think one thing I am struggling with is keeping a nice, tidy box in the power pocket, so when I'm throwing normally, my elbow gets out in front of my shoulder. Throws like you are talking about happen to me when I get grip lock AND have my elbow out in front.

You know the throw... the backhand release where it sort of sticks to your hand and comes out right of your target line (for a righty) but with beautiful snap, magical turn (sometimes never fading), and distance you didn't know you had. This happens sometimes when I'm playing and it happened a few times today during field work as I was working on my hips, plant foot angle, and brace. I'm hitting 450-500 feet on these "mistake" throws when my typical max is 375-400. These throws are a mistake and are often inaccurate (as the line is way right of target but sometimes they fade back somewhat close) but they feel right, kind of like its ripping out of my hand at the right moment vs my typical release. Something is clicking properly but I can't replicate it when I try. I haven't quite put my finger on what it is.

What is happening with these throws that I'm not doing normally? How can I harness that power/snap? How can I harness it on the CORRECT line? What's the sauce? I know I have this distance but I can't do it on command. I feel like I'm right on the edge of something awesome.

OP CONTINUED

Added a practice video. I'm mainly focusing on my brace and hip engagement in these ones. Some reps felt/look better than others for sure. I'm also pretty fidgety right now with all my form changes and new details I've learned flowing thru my head.

Side Approach (threw midranges): https://youtu.be/RvyzW0JR1o0

If you guys have any tips, feel free to roast me!

OP CONTINUED

Added a practice video. I'm mainly focusing on my brace and hip engagement in these ones. Some reps felt/look better than others for sure. I'm also pretty fidgety right now with all my form changes and new details I've learned flowing thru my head.

Side Approach (threw midranges): https://youtu.be/RvyzW0JR1o0

If you guys have any tips, feel free to roast me!

I know that you are focusing on new movements and that sort of thing can really make you tense up, but you are way too tense right now. You are way too focused on forced balance, motions and movements.

If you are training for smooth and relaxed form your training should be smooth and relaxed too. See if you can do the same movements with athletic relaxation and a clear mind. Should look and feel like a dance move, not like a seizure.
Easiest way to get relaxed is doing something that you normally do relaxed and then carry that relaxation into the throwing movement. Try walking towards target for a few steps. Anywhere from 5-20 steps, then just flow into the throw naturally as smooth as possible. Your body shouldn't feel much different than walking = balanced, relaxed, and athletic.

I know that you are focusing on new movements and that sort of thing can really make you tense up, but you are way too tense right now. You are way too focused on forced balance, motions and movements.

If you are training for smooth and relaxed form your training should be smooth and relaxed too. See if you can do the same movements with athletic relaxation and a clear mind. Should look and feel like a dance move, not like a seizure.
Easiest way to get relaxed is doing something that you normally do relaxed and then carry that relaxation into the throwing movement. Try walking towards target for a few steps. Anywhere from 5-20 steps, then just flow into the throw naturally as smooth as possible. Your body shouldn't feel much different than walking = balanced, relaxed, and athletic.

Oh you mean to tell me this doesn't look like effortless Macbethian powah? :)

My muscle memory and shot routine was lost a few weeks ago with the form teardown haha. I don't have a new routine yet. Its just my brain screaming "Elbow up, *******!", "Point your ass at the target, bitch!", "Set your wrist like you're pouring coffee like I told you!", "Watch the disc through the power pocket, dumbass!", "Point your belt buckle from 7 to 11 o'clock!", "Crack that whip, son! What are you, WEAK OR SOMETHING!?"

I'll get there someday.

Last edited:
Oh you mean to tell me this doesn't look like effortless Macbethian powah? :)

My muscle memory and shot routine was lost a few weeks ago with the form teardown haha. I don't have a new routine yet. Its just my brain screaming "Elbow up, *******!", "Point your ass at the target, bitch!", "Set your wrist like you're pouring coffee like I told you!", "Watch the disc through the power pocket, dumbass!", "Point your belt buckle from 7 to 11 o'clock!", "Crack that whip, son! What are you, WEAK OR SOMETHING!?"

I'll get there someday.

I wish you well.

I try to explain to people that I have 13 flaws in my motion, and I can only corral 8 of them at once. So any given throw is going to have 5 faults. Like smoothing a bump in a rug, if I concentrate on one, another goes. I'm sure one day I'll be thinking so much about my feet and elbow and reachback and follow-through, that I'll find I forgot to bring a disc to the tee.

I wish you well.

I try to explain to people that I have 13 flaws in my motion, and I can only corral 8 of them at once. So any given throw is going to have 5 faults. Like smoothing a bump in a rug, if I concentrate on one, another goes. I'm sure one day I'll be thinking so much about my feet and elbow and reachback and follow-through, that I'll find I forgot to bring a disc to the tee.

But in your mind's eye, the throw will be perfect! :thmbup:

Newbie here !! I am trying to work on form as well....I gained 40'-50' from adding a pump and recoil of RHBH before I throw...hope it helps ya...my arm is getting sore so be sure to stretch !!

Grip is unique to everyone because hands are unique.

This thread title is about maintaining grip as long as possible to achieve maximum acceleration up to release. Having a well connected grip as long as possible is important, but the release can take speed off the disc as well—somewhat related to Uli's video.

My hands are smaller. Trying to throw nose down has been really difficult.

I tried something new today. My thumb AND pointer on top of the flight plate. It's an interesting twist on getting snap on the disc because I'm pretty locked in without having to over flex my forearm. It was inconsistent today, but I think it has promise.

I tried something new today. My thumb AND pointer on top of the flight plate. It's an interesting twist on getting snap on the disc because I'm pretty locked in without having to over flex my forearm. It was inconsistent today, but I think it has promise.
That sounds a lot like the Bonopane grip. I messed around with that a while back. It's amazing for throwing nose down, but for me any advantage was offset by making it very hard to hang on. It's just awkward. But apparently people still use it, and it's certainly useful for seeing exaggerated effects of nose down (esp. in a tailwind).

You might want to try finger on top of thumb (I think that's the traditional Bonopane) vs finger under thumb. I had better luck with the former, but maybe worth experimenting.

Grip is unique to everyone because hands are unique.

This thread title is about maintaining grip as long as possible to achieve maximum acceleration up to release. Having a well connected grip as long as possible is important, but the release can take speed off the disc as well—somewhat related to Uli's video.

My hands are smaller. Trying to throw nose down has been really difficult.

One tip I heard was to hold the disc soft until release, then bear down a bit with your grip through release.

I messed with it but never committed to it. To some extent I know I do it intrinsically but I don't think about it. I know there's some truth to the general idea (loose grip = more whippy arm, tight grip = higher max force before it's ripped away), but now I have a mind to revisit it more deliberately.

On some of my hardest rips my hand will feel it, it's like the release recoil and I feel it on the web of my thumb. Or maybe it's my fingers snapping together. Not sure.

Latest posts