• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mixed bag sponsers

wolfmandragon

* Ace Member *
I noticed today that MVP had pulled Nikko from their website. I am assuming that this may have something to do with the fact they were sponsoring him but he threw none of their discs in tournaments.
I play a mixed bag, and the idea of playing only one brand would put me out greatly. I like the fact that MVP, Legacy and Gateway allow their players to mix their bags, but to be fair to the sponsors, the player should be required to play with a percentage of the companies discs.

Like ball golf... Some ball golfers have a full sponsorship, where all their clubs must be a brand; others have multiple partial sponsorships, where they have a required number in their bag.
Disc golf is a bit different, as we have no limit of discs we can carry, but a percentage model would work. Something along these lines perhaps:
  • Full : 100%
  • Major : 60%
  • Partial : 40%
  • Special : putters only, drivers only....mix and match

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I wonder what changed for Nikko since he was ready to, "put MVP on the map."

Honestly, I could see it being him not getting a ton of backing from MVP as supporting pro players doesn't seem to be a huge part of their business plan.

Yeah was wondering the same thing myself.

It seemed during the open he was going with mostly Innova stuff.

It is a shame Lat 64 didn't get him on board while he was in Sweden.

But maybe they don't have much cash to throw towards touring pros as well. Even though the owner was one of the very earliest of them.

Last edited:
He probably didn't have enough snap to throw their discs properly and actually activate the GYRO.

That's the only reason people don't throw MVP, because they cant.

He probably didn't have enough snap to throw their discs properly and actually activate the GYRO.

That's the only reason people don't throw MVP, because they cant.

No, that's not it. Regardless of how one feels towards Nikko's personality on the course, he can throw a disc!
In the Easter tourney he played in, he was throwing the Motion almost on laser beam lines. If Nikko has a problem with MVP discs, it may be they are harder to shape shots with, due to the gyro effect.

Nikko is a great player, and I'll stop there out of politeness.

This. How does he get away with throwing mostly Innova while being sponsored by others. It's safe to say that Nikko marches to the beat of his own drum.

Nikko doesn't seem to put much (any) effort in to promoting his sponsors. If I were MVP I would drop him too. There are plenty of great players who are also willing to be excellent promoters for their sponsors

No, that's not it. Regardless of how one feels towards Nikko's personality on the course, he can throw a disc!
In the Easter tourney he played in, he was throwing the Motion almost on laser beam lines. If Nikko has a problem with MVP discs, it may be they are harder to shape shots with, due to the gyro effect.

Sarcasm.

In the past...what...three years?...he's been sponsored by Gateway mixed, then Innova, then Prodigy (while still throwing Wizards for a while), then the mixed MVP/Gateway/Legacy, and now he's throwing Innova (Destroyers mostly, didn't see any Legacy at the SO) again...or somthing like that.

MVP/Axiom can certainly find someone who will better represent them. (Like Graham Russell, the Sandstroms, Martin Ludwig, and others have been doing)

Bad comparison, and didn't help your point. Not at all in the same league...

I've said it once, and I'll say it a thousand more times: We live in a disc golf bubble. The vast majority of players don't make their bag decisions based on what pros throw, so it shouldn't matter that much.

I'll admit that it's interesting to follow from a business/rooting interest perspective, but if anyone thinks MVP's needle was moving because of Nikko, I have some beachfront property in New Mexico for sale.

I've said it once, and I'll say it a thousand more times: We live in a disc golf bubble. The vast majority of players don't make their bag decisions based on what pros throw, so it shouldn't matter that much...

Eh, somewhat. There are quite a few Prodigy only folk in this area and a good part of that attributes to Will Schusterick.
Now, I realize that Prodigy is using a top-down marketing model while MVP is using a bottom up model, but Prodigy's strategy is working here. Remember, young people tend to have hero worship and that sells products. Hook a young person and you have a (likely) customer for life.
Will is a nice fellow. He takes time to talk to people after the tournaments. He seems excited that teenagers actually want to talk to him.
That sells discs...big time.

I'm sure most of the major sponsors are completely done with Nikko so he'll probably be mixed bag for life. Maybe an up and comer in the future will take him on but he'll probably ruin that as well.

Absolutely, wolfman. Does Paul McBeth throwing Innova and winning every frikin tournament sell discs for Innova? You bet it does. Same with Simon repping Discmania, and Will and the gang for Prodigy, Dave and Ricky for Lat...etc. Would it have been more lucrative for MVP to have had their logo plastered on Nikko's back for the SO, and have him only throwing their discs? Of course!!

I do agree with onemile though. Nikko's relative non-existence for MVP didn't do squat. Could have been sweet though, had he been "all in," like other top players are for their sponsors.

I'm sure most of the major sponsors are completely done with Nikko so he'll probably be mixed bag for life.

Nikko is sponsored by Nikko. And there's nothing wrong with that. As long as we know that's how it's gonna be.

Has anyone considered that perhaps Nikko didn't actually like MVP discs once he was using them in competition?