• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MN disc golf scene

You are kind of limited to the acreage these smaller suburbs are willing to commit to the sport. We have some nice courses, but we also have some trashy ones with bad reputations. I know several park boards are very hesitant about committing space to disc golf. While she was nice about it, the chair at Plymouth P&R once told while I was filling out paperwork to run a tournament at Plymouth Creek that they were one major complaint or smoking/alcohol/drugs violation away from closing that course. That had been threatening that for years, but in 2013 that had tightened the league/ tournament requirements for the course, almost looking for an excuse to close up shop.

If you want to stretch out your arm you are basically limited to Crown College, Fort Snelling, Elm Creek, HSSA, and Lochness. Courses like Lakewood, Kaposia, Oakwood, BRP, and Bryant have a few big shots, but most of the Twin Cities proper is about technical shots and scoring well by keeping it in the fairway.

You can air it out at the Valley pretty well too.

You are kind of limited to the acreage these smaller suburbs are willing to commit to the sport. We have some nice courses, but we also have some trashy ones with bad reputations. I know several park boards are very hesitant about committing space to disc golf.

Exactly why I mainly play Westside courses. East side has some decent courses but covered in litter and bad attitudes.

Acorn could be much better if they put in some nice big concrete pads. Anyone know if they are ever going to fix those crap tee boxes?

How could I forget about The Valley... Oh, because most of the big courses opened year round are on the East Side and I am a West Sider and we have nothing but 9 and 12 holers.
CP Adams also has several pretty open shots but is even farther away from you.

Acorn could be much better if they put in some nice big concrete pads. Anyone know if they are ever going to fix those crap tee boxes?

Bidding on the $100K RFP to upgrade Acorn closes today at 2pm. Work may start as early as June on renovations which includes concrete tee pads.

Bidding on the $100K RFP to upgrade Acorn closes today at 2pm. Work may start as early as June on renovations which includes concrete tee pads.

How much cheaper than 100K would it be to just take the pins out of that place and put them somewhere else nearby where basket theft is not a popular problem(which last year ironically I dont think 1 got ripped off but the year before 4 were and 2 holes were without baskets for months).

Awesome! :clap: Long overdue. Hopefully it will mimic a lot of the improvements done to Lakewood hills.

How much cheaper than 100K would it be to just take the pins out of that place and put them somewhere else nearby where basket theft is not a popular problem(which last year ironically I dont think 1 got ripped off but the year before 4 were and 2 holes were without baskets for months).
One thing being considered would be to have only one pin placement per hole and permanently anchor the baskets.

One thing being considered would be to have only one pin placement per hole and permanently anchor the baskets.

i would honestly be okay with that. i don't get anything out of the alternate placements except 15, which is guarded by those trees. it seems it's just an easier layout so you don't lose discs. i like the long layout.

It will be a new layout in some areas like 15 anyway. The main complaint from neighbors is players standing on the path while waiting to throw on holes like 2, 3, 9, 12 & 14. There haven't been many complaints about dodging discs on the paths. Players seem to be respectful to not throw when there are pedestrians. So we're looking at shifting some tees away from the paths enough to allow room for players to wait their turn but not be on the paths. That will result in some hole and routing changes.

Where is there really room to add to the course though? Is the property behind hole 4 pin/hole 5 teepad available for use? How about the space to the left of the path on hole 15, there is plenty of room behind hole 18 tee for space for use as well.

It will be a new layout in some areas like 15 anyway. The main complaint from neighbors is players standing on the path while waiting to throw on holes like 2, 3, 9, 12 & 14. There haven't been many complaints about dodging discs on the paths. Players seem to be respectful to not throw when there are pedestrians. So we're looking at shifting some tees away from the paths enough to allow room for players to wait their turn but not be on the paths. That will result in some hole and routing changes.

ah, okay. yeah, if you're looking at re-routing, i can definitely see several holes that could benefit. hole 2 seems sort of like an accident waiting to happen, IMO. same with 15 if someone hyzers early or tags a tree. hole 12 i can definitely see people being a little irritated with, especially with the "alternate" tee position we tend to use on the path. cool to hear and definitely interesting to see what will happen in the future. i wish that volunteer opportunities were made public information, because even though i see things like kenwood and garlough getting teepads, i never heard of anyone asking for volunteers. there should be announcements or something.

we've got a solid scene with great hard workers in MN, but it's easy to get distracted by the politics/whinging since that's all you see on sites.

I'm thinking about going renegade style this year and patching a few of them up myself. I've done some DIY concrete work for skateboard spots and it really doesn't take much to mix something up, throw it in the gap, and smooth it out. The trouble is finding the right material that wont just chip away and leave the same gap 2 months later. I've been meaning to look into this but any info is appreciated if someone out there has experience with this!

I've used a efff ton of bondo to fill gaps with some success before too. Certainly not ideal but it works. Might be better than nothing? I wonder if it's illegal for random people to start adding these types of elements to a public park. When we were doing it for skateboarding we'd wear yellow/orange vests and hard hats - made it look legit and no one questioned us! Haha.

Any info or other volunteers should get in touch with me!

I've actually thought about putting up a post looking for local guys to help do some maintanance like this around the Twin Cities. Fixing busted signs and teepads and such. Just seems like a way I can give back to the scene without being involved in the tournaments and such.

Sorry for the double post - looks like my renegade skills wont be necessary! Awesome!

I don't understand that neighbors would complain about disc golfers standing on the path waiting their turn. It's a public park with a disc golf course. Why walk through it if you are annoyed by people playing on the course? Seems that the path is there for both the players and the people that want to walk through it. I've never refused to move out of the way for people or anything - I doubt many have.

Blows my mind. Not like it's a new course. Been there longer than I've been alive I'm told!

Last edited:
All current Acorn pads will be removed within the next two years and replaced with new concrete tees. Make sure you get permission before going renegade anywhere because parks will see some of those unapproved actions as "vandalism" despite apparently improving something like tees or signs. Also, some parks discourage volunteer efforts because their employees may see it as taking away work or even overtime hours from them.

I don't understand that neighbors would complain about disc golfers standing on the path waiting their turn. It's a public park with a disc golf course. Why walk through it if you are annoyed by people playing on the course? Seems that the path is there for both the players and the people that want to walk through it. I've never refused to move out of the way for people or anything - I doubt many have.
It's little different from people who walk in the bike lane on divided paths. Players are standing not walking on a walkway. The local pedestrians could care less what those people who are standing are waiting to play whether disc golf or horseshoes, just that they are blocking the path.

Moving 17s teepad back higher on the hill would prevent it being flooded with every rain and make for a better hole. I know it is really fun now because it is an ace run for all but the most new players, but having it constantly flooded is not good. I think you could move 7 and 8 back also, although I think 7 is pretty good the way it is.

Latest posts