• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Monster or Firebird???

innovadude said:
Which is better? Hyzer, Side-Arm, Thumber???

I'm partial to the firebird for all of the above as its versatile.

Sidearm may be better with a Monster-X.....

Thumber the Monster is the best hands down vs the Firebird. It's also good as a forehand. The Firebird would be the better choice for a controllable hyzer.

In my personal experience the Firebird is the all around better disc. I like throwing my monster side-arm, but can't throw it forehand to save my life. Overall the Firebird is a better disc in my mind.

Fire chicken ftw monsters are just too stable and when they get beat they get to understable stick with the bird and you'll manage

I use a monster for short flick shots where I need a steep and dependable hyzer.

I use the firebird for all of my thumbers and tomahawks.

I like and use the monster but only the older pearly ones comparing new plastics I would stick with the firebird, no way the monster is longer than the firebird for thumbers though, it is longer for backhand throws and I throw them longer with forehands but I have seen some guys just bomb forehands with firebirds so the jury is still out for me. Either way, I wouldn't ever use either for distance, 350' and under are reachable with both and I don't need stupid overstable over 350' anyways, at that point power limits most people and forces flippier plastic into a hyzer

While we're on the topic of overstable stuff, I want to ask about some overstable fairway drivers, just out of curiosity.

Anyone care to give me a comparison of stability and length of these discs relative to each other?

Whippet
Viper
Banshee
Ram
Pegasus (I know they don't make either of these last 2 anymore)

Whippet shorter than viper or banshee, Viper has the most glide and least overstability of these three, not even in the same class. Banshee is way faster and longer on the same line than a whippet. Ram is discontinued and hard to find. Pegasus who wants to throw a disc named after a unicorn?

I got 2 dx firebirds the other day. I took my 169g out on the course and was dissapointed. I was expecting something radically overstable, a disc that refused to do anything but go left.

Thrown flat, it flies straight, then abruptly dies. (I can get about 320-330 with it) I was expecting it to fly like a banshee with a litle more distance. That is not the case.

Doesn't fight back from anhyzers that much and doesn't get good hyzer distance either.

The only thing it does well is resist flipping in headwinds.

Comments?

Since this thread was originally about firebird vs monster, what will a monstah do?

Star & Champ Firebirds are true pigs, the DX FB is WAY less overstable, but it resists pretty high winds. I carry 1 DX and 3 Star Firebirds.

I am loving both my DX and star FBs. I use the star one for overhand shots as it is less prone to bending as it hits the ground. The DX ones fly straight as sh#t into a strong headwind. They have no glide so yes they don't fade as much as fall out of the sky. I love DX FBs!
Nothin like a beat DX fire chicken.

The rim width on the monster is twicw as thick as a friebird. I prefer the smaller rim myself...

Firebird all the way (I prefer CE, then Champion, then Star, then DX). I've used monsters but they aren't as predictable and I find it very hard to judge when and how far a monster will skip. But if you are using a monster, I like the feel and flight of the old pearly ones the best. Another advantage of the firebird is that they come in all weights, from 150-175. I keep a low 160s and a max-weight in my bag at all times.

As far as other innova overstable drivers go, I really do like the flight of the Pegasus. I stocked up on 7-8 of them after they quit making them, and usually have one or two in the bag. The old DX plastic feels great, and these discs are among the straightest low, wind-fighting fliers I know of. I would never use a Pegasus for distance, but I find them to be laser-accurate about 270' and in, both forehand or backhand. They don't need much height to work an 'S' and they fly straight in all but the strongest winds. They don't have a lot of side-to-side fade, so they land pretty close to the line you release them on, and the blunt edge takes a lot of beating before it becomes too flippy. Often the only true DX disc in my bag is a Pegasus.

Rams are hugely piggish and best used for rollers if you have the power to throw them. Vipers are much the same way -- hugely piggish, but with more glide and can sail forever on an anhyzer if you get them beat in enough (though they don't roll as well as Rams). I know of at least one hole that I've parked more than once with a Viper anhyzer that I've never been able to reach with any other disc.

Whippets and Banshees are great discs. For a long time they were 90% of what I threw (all forehand) off the teebox. These are also my two favorite hammer/thumber discs of all time. For upside down shots, I think they are more predictable and carry a better line than firebirds, monsters, orcs, etc... That said, they both fly fairly similarly for me. Whippets are more overstable when fresh but go farther when beat in. Banshees are a little shorter and a little less overstable overall, but are amazingly predictable. Keep in mind that the Millenium EXP1 is essentially the same as a banshee -- just a different plastic -- and a very nice feel to it.

If I had to recommend overstable Innova discs for players to try out, it would be the Firebird first, followed closely by the Banshee/EXP1...

I'll say Max. Good speed, good distance, okay glide and plenty of wind fighting capability. I've stretched mine out past 400' a few times with a good dependable fade.

Jesse B 707 said:

I really want some Z preds. I guess I'm just going to have to cough up the cash. I've been trying to find a cheaper substitute, but it's like trying to find a substitue for oxygen.