• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

more Lemon Lake questions.....

Innova63

Double Eagle Member
Premium Member
tried to post in previous Lemon Lake questions thread, but it was to old...
so..............

I am going to be in the Lemon Lake area for a few days......

So are there current maps of the new course layouts?
How are the bugs? mosquitoes? ticks?
Any areas that are excessively wet?
Is super white done?

How is the course in Valparasio?
same questions as above?

thanks in advance.

My k-nowledge as of a week or so ago.

Super Red and Super Blue each have temporary signage that say "Worlds Red." If you see a tee for either of those courses that does NOT have the signage, it's not the correct tee.

Super White was not finished as of last week.

Gold/Silver were in regular layout.

Ticks seem to be bad everywhere this year, but they aren't much of a factor at LL (at least in my general long-term experiences). Mosquitoes can be a bit harsh in places. Bring spray and you should be fine.

All the courses were in dry shape, although that might have changed with some recent rain.

Valpo should be similar in condition. Generally speaking it holds less water than LL so it should be drier if recent rains have made things sloppy. Not sure if RLW is still in the longer, tougher, more awesomer "Dominator" layout, but if it is I'd definitely recommend hitting that up. Hell, hit it up regardless as long as it's not all in short pin positions or something lame like that.

Hope that helps.

RLW in Valpo is better than at least two of the courses at Lemon Lake, don't skip it!

I played there on Saturday. Red and Blue are in worlds configuration as stated above, and white is not yet done. Maps for red and blue are available at the pro shop on top of the hill.

Mosquitoes weren't bad. Despite the very wet summer we've been having it has been pretty sunny for the past week so things had time to dry out considerably. They're forecasting a lot of rain this week so mosquitoes might make a return.

TICKS ARE BAD on the Gold/Silver course. They were bad when I played a tourney there in May, and they're even worse now. Not so much in the woods, but the tall prairie grass is packed full of them. Try to stay in the short grass if you can, but if you must walk through the tall stuff do a tick check every time you get back out on the short grass. On Saturday I had to wander through the tall grass on several occasions, and pulled off a tick almost every time I got back out of it. At the tournament in May we had a 10 minute backup on hole 6 and we had 4 ticks crawl towards us out of the short grass during that time. They know you're there, and they're waiting :)

I think Valpo is better than any of the Lemon Lake courses. The only appeal to Lemon Lake is that there are so many courses in one spot.

I still can't believe they chose 5, 6, and 7 and the white holes to be added on to the new Red course. That's such a dumb walk to play the 3 dinkiest holes. You'll walk farther there and back than the combined length of the fairways. I want to see the look on Climo's face when he steps up to the tee of White hole 5 (Worlds Red hole 10). My buddy ran a jump putt off the tee on Saturday and hit the pin.

THANKS!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

these will help a lot!:thmbup::thmbup:

looking at the map for the red course...

seems to be mis-numbered for holes 8 through 11 (yes notro, the cheesey short holes).

looking at the map for the red course...

seems to be mis-numbered for holes 8 through 11 (yes notro, the cheesey short holes).

They're not mis-numbered. That's how it plays. 8 out (old white 6), 9 across (old white 7), then 10 back in (old white 5). After you play 7 you will walk down to 11 tee, walk past it to the mowed out walking trail and turn left. Take that path down until you see the tee for 8 on your right.

worlds layouts...

any idea how long the courses are going to stay in the worlds laytouts?

will be in the area in a few weeks :clap: and hope to play the courses....yes even the white.

Food?

Hey guys,

I'm taking a road trip up there in October with 5 other friends. The two main elements of our annual disc golf road trip are great disc golf and good food. I think I've got a good idea of what courses to play but have no clue on food. Any great local dining gems in the Crown Point general area (or extended area).

Thanks!

3 Floyds Brewery is nearby, for some tasty craft beers...I think they've got a brewpub that serves good food.

3 Floyds Brewery is nearby, for some tasty craft beers...I think they've got a brewpub that serves good food.

If you do go to 3 Floyds, be prepared for a wait. I last stopped there a few months ago on a saturday. We got there 30min before they opened, and there were already 25 people waiting. All in all we waited almost an hour to get in. I'm not sure if it is as crowded on weekdays. Oh, and no carryout on Sundays.

The Friday during Worlds, I stopped by 3 Floyds for carry out. Got there at 11:15 for the 11:30 opening.
By 11:25 25 people were waiting to get in and 7 were in the carry out line. 15 minutes after opening the lines were gone and everyone was taken care of. Remember they are on Chicago time.

Hey guys,

I'm taking a road trip up there in October with 5 other friends. The two main elements of our annual disc golf road trip are great disc golf and good food. I think I've got a good idea of what courses to play but have no clue on food. Any great local dining gems in the Crown Point general area (or extended area).

Thanks!

When are you going up? The Homie tournament is scheduled for October 6.

We aren't going up till 10th so we should be good as far as that goes....
Any other suggestions on grub?
How's Hidden Lake in Merriville? That is where we are staying and I am thinking about hitting it up as well as Valpo...

Hidden Lake is okayish. Very skippable if you've got time to play something else (all the LL courses are better than Hidden Lake, in my estimation)...flip side of the coin is it's very playable (read: not spectacular but serviceable in a pinch) if you've got extra time to kill just waiting around.

One or two fun water shots...I guess. :\

Latest posts