• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] More Than One Putting Putter

I've been using the Vibram Ridge for all my throwing & putting putting duties. Towards the end of the season I left behind my primary putting putter :wall::mad: I pulled out one of the few exact backups I had....but it just wasn't the same as the one I'd been putting with for years. Thus I decided to begin a quest to find that one putter to rule them all...much like my beloved Ridge had been.

The list thus far: bt soft glow Maiden, z & glow z Roach, k3 Berg, tortoise shell Meteor Hammer, tiger line Hammer, proton Pilot, lux Link, burst Deputy.

It's been quite a terrible and interesting adventure to find one disc that can do all that I ask of the Ridge. I don't think I'll find one that has the hand feel and flight characteristics of my beloved Medium X-Link Ridge. It makes me sad that I may have a couple different driving putters and possibly multiple putting putters.

If you managed to read this whole post I'm sure you're asking why I just don't buy more Ridges that I like. The answer is that I'd like a disc that I can easily get replacements for when I do something stupid....like leaving it behind on the basket when I go home.

More than one "putting" mold isn't stupid. Change my mind?

I think it depends on the preferred stability one has for a putting putter. I prefer to spin putt, so I like something a bit more stable on the green. I've used Challengers, Wizards, and Judges with minimal difference in C1%.

Challengers have enough integrity that I can power up on one for a drive, or finesse an upshot with a beat in one. So, because I use a more stable mold for putting, it works well across other applications.

One who prefers a more neutral/US putter would likely have a reason to carry multiple putter molds for putting, driving, windy days, etc. but I have an all-in-1 so to speak. That said, I also carry a Zone for flick approaches. So, if you consider that a putter, I carry two putter molds.

I can understand why people putt with different putters. I can't do it. What happens when you're at a certain distance/situation where you can't decide which putter to putt with? I don't every want to run into that situation. It would just add unneeded stress to my mental game. I try to follow KISS (keep it simple stupid) when it comes to my bag. If I'm attempting to make the putt in the circle or outside, I'm using the same putter. I want to know how my putter flies on different release angles from varying distances. In simple terms I'd rather just learn one putter, not multiple. You could say, I'm putter monogamous.

I get the whole wanting a single putting putter mold, I do the same with my approach putting disc to driving putter and emergency wind using the same mold. The mold is a Shark Star and an old Pro both at about 175 grams. I like the mold as being only slight OS but OS, the slower speeds means the mold gets more OS for true putting in higher wind, then is a bit less OS for an approach putt to approach throw, and lastly for driving the Shark is just a tad OS the way a driving putter should be. I do this only to save on molds as it is odd seeing people with 2-3 approach discs and then possibly a more premium plastic of the less OS approach putter mold they use that is not US and a OS driving putter that is not mega OS the way a Pig or Zone is in the right plastics.

I am guilty of carrying too many discs sometimes, but then again i get in situations where I KNOW I need that disc. So I carry them. I primarily putt with a stable/straight putter with mild fade (Luna, Pa3, Shield - have been my go-to's - currently using 300soft Pa3, but when its warm/hot I really like the Luna but the material gets too stiff for the winter so I switched back to pa3)

I carry 2 supplement putters. 1 for longer putts - MVP Atom in electron plastic, its a lil faster than my primary putter and has a longer straighter flight, good for LOW ceiling putts, long putts or anhyzer putts. I also carry a Slower Overstable putter for windy spots, if I want to run it but know I'll stay close to the basket - also useful in elevation putts because a lower glide more stable putter is easier to predict how it'll lift if nose up/nose down.

So I am guilty of maybe having too many choices on some putts. But I'd say 85% of the time I just reach for my go-to putter so I don't think its much different than having 3 putters in different stages of wear.

I think all pros have multiple putters whether same disc or not that will change given the situation.

It's whatever you like I suppose. I sometimes grab a different putter and swap em in and out and I still can make the shots. But sometimes you dont.

Wizard SS - Main putting putter (push putt)
Polecat DX - Upshots
MVP Anode Soft - Driving putter
* Gator - If it's really windy or I need an extreme hyzer

Me personally, I carry two of the same mold and plastic putters for putting duty so I can rotate them and they wear evenly, and then I have a throwing putter of that same mold in a premium plastic that will be more OS off the tee or for approaching

Putting - Zero Hard "EMac" Mercy's
Throwing - Moonshine Mercy

Last edited:
I carry two of the same mold and plastic putters for putting duty so I can rotate them and they wear evenly

I play with a guy who has the same philosophy, only he does it with three. When he buys new putters, it's always three with identical color and stamp so he can't even attempt to differentiate them (can't tell them apart, can't pick a favorite).

Another guy I play with has two that are identical other than color (same age, wear, etc). He'll warm up with both, decide which one is "hot", and start the round putting that one. If he feels off or misses a couple putts, he'll swap. Works well for him.

I carry two putters of the same color and plastic. The only difference is the stamp. But for me, only one of them is my go-to putter. I use the other for approaches and longer putts and occasionally in the wind because, at least in my mind, it's less beaten in and has a bit more stability. Truth be told, I got them at exactly the same time, they've both been in my bag the same amount of time (5 years), and they're probably not that much different in terms of wear and stability. The differences between them are all in my head. And on top of those two putters, I've got six more (in four different molds) in my bag for driving and approaching. I want the right tool for the job in my hand rather than adjusting my shot to make one disc work for everything.

At the end of the day, it's all about what works for you. Putting is mostly a mental game. If switching putters/molds based on situation (wind, distance, shot shape, etc) makes you feel more comfortable and confident to make the shot, go for it. Ditto if you prefer to do it all with one mold or even one disc. Who cares what other players do?

I play with a guy who has the same philosophy, only he does it with three. When he buys new putters, it's always three with identical color and stamp so he can't even attempt to differentiate them (can't tell them apart, can't pick a favorite).

Another guy I play with has two that are identical other than color (same age, wear, etc). He'll warm up with both, decide which one is "hot", and start the round putting that one. If he feels off or misses a couple putts, he'll swap. Works well for him.

I carry two putters of the same color and plastic. The only difference is the stamp. But for me, only one of them is my go-to putter. I use the other for approaches and longer putts and occasionally in the wind because, at least in my mind, it's less beaten in and has a bit more stability. Truth be told, I got them at exactly the same time, they've both been in my bag the same amount of time (5 years), and they're probably not that much different in terms of wear and stability. The differences between them are all in my head. And on top of those two putters, I've got six more (in four different molds) in my bag for driving and approaching. I want the right tool for the job in my hand rather than adjusting my shot to make one disc work for everything.

At the end of the day, it's all about what works for you. Putting is mostly a mental game. If switching putters/molds based on situation (wind, distance, shot shape, etc) makes you feel more comfortable and confident to make the shot, go for it. Ditto if you prefer to do it all with one mold or even one disc. Who cares what other players do?

I do the same with putting putters as I have a noticable putter that is more beat in for longer putts then the other both got at same time for both sets of putters. can see in other comments I use 1.5 molds and one is different plastic.

I currently putt with JK Aviars. Really just one of these. But I have 4 or 5. At least for my summer bag/cart. I've been putting with a Yeti Aviar in my winter bag.

In my normal summer set up I generally bag my JK Aviar for putting. I have a Sky God for certain upshots too. I been throwing a Zone and a Pig this year too for the first time. Sometimes just one, sometimes both. I'm not sure how I haven't thrown a Zone before this year though. That disc is fantastic. I will use it to putt in heavy winds. Or the Pig. So I do putt with multiple putters I guess.

I am guilty of carrying too many discs sometimes, but then again i get in situations where I KNOW I need that disc. So I carry them. I primarily putt with a stable/straight putter with mild fade (Luna, Pa3, Shield - have been my go-to's - currently using 300soft Pa3, but when its warm/hot I really like the Luna but the material gets too stiff for the winter so I switched back to pa3)

I carry 2 supplement putters. 1 for longer putts - MVP Atom in electron plastic, its a lil faster than my primary putter and has a longer straighter flight, good for LOW ceiling putts, long putts or anhyzer putts. I also carry a Slower Overstable putter for windy spots, if I want to run it but know I'll stay close to the basket - also useful in elevation putts because a lower glide more stable putter is easier to predict how it'll lift if nose up/nose down.

So I am guilty of maybe having too many choices on some putts. But I'd say 85% of the time I just reach for my go-to putter so I don't think its much different than having 3 putters in different stages of wear.

I think all pros have multiple putters whether same disc or not that will change given the situation.

It's whatever you like I suppose. I sometimes grab a different putter and swap em in and out and I still can make the shots. But sometimes you dont.

Speaking of putters getting too hard in winter, I used to have a modern Pro D for longer putts and a stiff older Pro D Magnet in bag and in true winter past 40 degrees F the stiff Pro D disc more around 35 F and lower would start to get too stiff to the point I was worried about breaking so I would switch to the modern Pro D Magnet my that was then as stiff as my old stiff Pro D Magnet in warmer weather even more so at 32 F and lower the modern Pro D Magnet was right at old stiff Pro D Magnet in warmer. Now I have Jawbreaker for my Magnets and the Proline Titanic discs have enough grip loss for good putting finesse due to plastic getting stiff so I use the Jawbreaker set only then. I can use other similar plastic to Proline in my bag for non putting but for putting I need grip or stiff as they come if disc is a little slick. Even below 55 F the Proline Titanic gets a bit slick for putting but will still work down to 45 F.

I've got a big stack about 10 plasma Envy's the same weight. + one beautiful custom dye Evil Dead one.. The pretty one gets me into trouble it's tough to leave at home but it's a touch straighter than the rest.

Out of my stack 3 or 4 are identical straight, 3 stable, 2 OS, 2 US relatively speaking. All 165-167g plasma. Before a tourney I putt em all in a 10 disc elimination.. Whichever two are hot I bag em so I can swap if one goes cold. That said I carry a US Spin at 165 and sometimes still putt with it.

Speaking of putters getting too hard in winter, I used to have a modern Pro D for longer putts and a stiff older Pro D Magnet in bag and in true winter past 40 degrees F the stiff Pro D disc more around 35 F and lower would start to get too stiff to the point I was worried about breaking so I would switch to the modern Pro D Magnet my that was then as stiff as my old stiff Pro D Magnet in warmer weather even more so at 32 F and lower the modern Pro D Magnet was right at old stiff Pro D Magnet in warmer. Now I have Jawbreaker for my Magnets and the Proline Titanic discs have enough grip loss for good putting finesse due to plastic getting stiff so I use the Jawbreaker set only then. I can use other similar plastic to Proline in my bag for non putting but for putting I need grip or stiff as they come if disc is a little slick. Even below 55 F the Proline Titanic gets a bit slick for putting but will still work down to 45 F.

So far with all my winter play over the years the plastic I like most is the Trilogy putters Medium blends - I won't ever putt Discraft or Innova as they do NOT have great softer plastics. Prodigy 300 soft is ok, its really not THAT soft, and Trilogy mediums are juuust right . not floppy, but in the cold they still have some good grip and catch the chains. I just wish they had a disc that felt like a Luna in that plastic. but ehhhh its whatever

So far with all my winter play over the years the plastic I like most is the Trilogy putters Medium blends - I won't ever putt Discraft or Innova as they do NOT have great softer plastics. Prodigy 300 soft is ok, its really not THAT soft, and Trilogy mediums are juuust right . not floppy, but in the cold they still have some good grip and catch the chains. I just wish they had a disc that felt like a Luna in that plastic. but ehhhh its whatever

I also prefer Trilogy Medium putting plastic in the winter, but Discraft Jawbreaker isn't that far behind. Very similar feel, just a little less tackiness. They are the same for me in cold/dry conditions, but the Trilogy plastic is better in cold/wet.

It's interesting that you guys will swap your putters for a different plastic in the winter...

Is it strictly a grip thing or are you preserving your main ones from cold weather cracking?

It's interesting that you guys will swap your putters for a different plastic in the winter...

Is it strictly a grip thing or are you preserving your main ones from cold weather cracking?

Strictly grip. I've never cracked a disc while putting, only while driving.

And I've never cracked a Trilogy disc. The only disc that broke for me in the cold was DX.

Typically just a grip thing for me. I really like the grip of the Rubber/D blend steadys in the cold. Regular D gets really slick when it's cold since the plastic has a smoother feel.

I don't worry too much about cracking my putters in the winter, since I'm really not throwing them off the tee much if at all.

What about Innova's XT plastic in the cold?

I use two. One of several Classic Blend Wardens for most putts, and a GG Star Sonic for putts outside 60'.

I have only one putting putter mold, the Reko in k3 plastic, but I carry 3 of them. 2 identical max weights and one light weight (163-64g) in a different color. The 2 max weights I use for just about everything inside 55-60. I use the light weight for longer jump putts, uphill putts, and straddle putts where I may not have optimal footing or limited arm movement. I also use it for short approaches. The light weight Reko works great at this distance for me as it's stability and glide will keeping my putting stroke nearly identical to closer range.

Latest posts