• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

most COMMON rule violations???

Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. But the one I see broken constantly is; not letting go of your putter before you cross your lie on a jump putt. As a matter of fact, I don't know if I've ever seen this done properly by anyone I've ever played with.

Thats because its not a violation. Its only if you land before you release the disc.......think putting....your hand is in front of you lie quite often when you lean in, and the disc is still in the hand.

Foot Faults
Falling Putts
Putting out with out marking discs
Moving/Breaking objects in your lie
Courtesy violations
Skipping Mando's
Throwing from OB
Ignoring OB
Of course, I run an Am League so thats where we teach these guys the rules.

i don't care if it's against the rules, but if i have a crap lie in the bushes, and it's hot or i've been "partying" that round, i'll implement what i call "winter rules" and step to a clear spot. always behind or in line with the disc, never in front though.

I thought if you are outside 10 meters you can actually jump, as long as you leave the ground behind the lie, and release before you hit the ground again. I think you guys are talking more like a step through

I don't jump putt so i am not sure on this one, but I've seen alot of video of pros and they are landing in front of their lie and releasing after they cross the lie

I thought if you are outside 10 meters you can actually jump, as long as you leave the ground behind the lie, and release before you hit the ground again. I think you guys are talking more like a step through
You can follow thru but you still have to release the shot before your stance foot leaves the ground.

Foot Fault. I'll call it every time. It's pretty clear in the rules that you must have at least one supporting point on the playing surface (flat?), on the line of play, when the disc is released. After you release (if you're outside of 10m) you may land wherever you'ld like.

I don't jump putt so i am not sure on this one, but I've seen alot of video of pros and they are landing in front of their lie and releasing after they cross the lie

you always have to release the disc before you cross your lie. Once you've left the ground in a forward motion you have crossed your lie. The intention of a jump putt is to have a follow through because you have generated a lot of forward motion.

Of course you can start your stance with your other foot in front of your lie but it has to be off the ground before the moment you release the shot. This type of release is designed to mess with rules buffs but it's also good when near the basket and it's very windy.

A big one I've seen is taking practice throws, but not in the fashion you'd think, because any disc thrown over 5 feet or in the putting zone is a stroke, so if you go mark your lie, then turn and toss the disc back to your bag, its supposed to be a stroke, its looked over a lot though.

The distance is 2 meters. Definition of a practice throw below along with the penalty. There is no warning. You throw the shot and it counts.

Practice throw..During a round, the projection of a disc of a distance greater than two meters, or of any distance toward a target, intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie, either because it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie, or because the player had already thrown competitively from the teeing area or the lie. Throws that are re-thrown in accordance with the rules are not practice throws. Provisional throws made pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3) are not practice throws. A player shall receive a penalty for a practice throw in accordance with sections 803.01 B or 804.02 A (2).

803.01B. Practice Throws. A player who throws a practice throw or an extra throw with any disc any time after the start of his or her round and prior to his or her finishing the last hole of the round (except for throws that must be re-thrown in accordance with the rules, provisional throws made pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3), or throws during a suspension or postponement of play) shall receive one penalty throw. The practice throw or extra throw must be observed by any two players or an official.
Nicely quoted. Note there is nothing about being in the "putting zone".

In tournaments, or casual play?

Tournaments, my first thought is stance violations.
Runner-up: 30 second rule

I don't play a lot of tourneys so it hasn't been an issue for me but the 30 second thing would drive me nuts. Normally I don't cary a watch, but if it was an issue in a tourney I was playing I would start carrying one. Having it upset the person doing it would almost be a bonus. They aren't just wasting their own time but everyone in the group and indirectly the tourney as well.

Latest posts