• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

most COMMON rule violations???

You are interpreting this completely wrong. If I were to step up to my marker and place my foot, I can get into my stance and have branches pressed against my back. I cannot walk ahead of the lie and press everything back, but anything behind the lie is allowed to be held back by my body but not by being held. I cannot grab a tree or branch and hold onto it, but I can get into my stance which may cause branches behind me to be moved by my body.

You CAN hold on to branches and items behind your lie, just don't move them. See rules Q&A below:
PDGA Rules Q&A said:
Maintaining balance while putting

Question: "I have a good rules question for you involving the stance rules. A player uses an object (in this case a branch) behind him to maintain balance for a putt. First, would this be considered "full control of balance"? Second, could you argue, if the branch is not so large that the players body weight will not move it, that it is a violation of 803.03 D and or 803.04 A because they could have moved the branch less by not hanging on it? Thanks for any input."

Response: The question can be boiled down to: Can a player hold on to an object behind his lie to maintain balance while throwing/putting?
Applicable rules: 803.04 (Stance), 803.05 (Obstacles and Relief), 804.05 (Disqualification and Suspension)

Discussion: The rules do not require that you maintain your balance while putting. You can have a grand mal seizure as long as you don't step ahead of your lie. At the time you decide to step ahead of your lie is when you have to demonstrate balance. This is simply to prove that you are not committing a falling putt, such that you would not be able to stop yourself from falling forward due to the motion of your putt. Grabbing a branch is merely acquiring another support point, which is perfectly legal, as long as it is not ahead of your lie.

Holding on to something BEHIND your lie is not prohibited by the rules, provided that the tree that the golfer is using as a supporting point is in-bounds (803.03.A (3)). The branch must not be moved, or else the player would be in violation of one or both of 803.04.D and 803.05.A, which require you to take the stance that results in the least movement of objects that are part of the course and which prohibit you from moving a branch to "make room for a throwing motion".

Conclusion: A player can hold on to something behind her lie, in certain circumstances, without violating the PDGA rules. In general that which is not prohibited by the PDGA rules is allowed, provided of course, that the action done by the player is not considered "a willful attempt to circumvent the rules of play". (This, of course, is cheating!)

Other Comments: Many members of the committee have actually tried to hold on to some object behind their lie, while leaning forward to throw or putt. In our opinion this action makes the ensuing throw/putt MORE difficult to accomplish.
--http://www.pdga.com/faq/rules-questions-answers/maintaining-balance-while-putting

Someone walks up to their lie and they lay the mini down to the right edge or the left edge of the disc...whichever gives them the advantage getting around an obstacle....instead of drawing a line from the basket straight down the center line of their disc...or before a dog leg....drawing a center line down the fairway center point thru their disc...and yes I realize this can get fuzzy when you are near the corner of the dogleg and then just let the guy mark it either way..but not something different for the sake of getting around an obstacle.

You haven't been reading your PDGA Rules School have you? 'Cuz apparently now that's legal! See also: Marking a Lie

is it illegal to have your cell phone NOT on silent? cause it should be

Yes.
PDGA Competition Manual Section 3.1 said:
D. Players are not permitted to have active cell phones or audible pagers on the course during any competitive round.
--http://www.pdga.com/rules/3-1-general

Last edited:
What does "active cell phone" imply? Any powered up cell phone regardless if it is on silent mode? If that's the case I'm not playing tournaments. My children are much more important than a tourney.

As opposed to non-audible noises. The kind that only crazy people hear in their heads.

from early in the thread
30 seconds on the tee gets violated all the time

I call BS. have you ever actually counted 30 seconds? It's a LONG time after you address your shot.

noob question alert!!

after my drive and I mark my lie can I have a run up on my throws until I'm in the 10m putting zone??

tossing the disc you just marked with your mini back to your bag. That's a stroke, and now you can throw from where your bag is.

This is the one rule I will call you on, all day long.

noob question alert!!

after my drive and I mark my lie can I have a run up on my throws until I'm in the 10m putting zone??

Yes. You can also follow through and step past that marker too (after you throw) outside of 10 meters.

tossing the disc you just marked with your mini back to your bag. That's a stroke, and now you can throw from where your bag is.

This is the one rule I will call you on, all day long.

A "practice throw" is 2 meters or more, and you play the penalty shot from the marker if you call a violation and is seconded by someone else in the group.

Does a "Practice Throw" call need to be seconded?

Yes. Section 803.2 B: Practice Throws. A player who throws a practice throw or an extra throw with any disc any time after the
start of his or her round and prior to his or her finishing the last hole of the round (except for throws that must be re-thrown in accordance with the rules, provisional throws made pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3), or throws during a suspension or postponement of play) shall receive one penalty throw. The practice throw or extra throw must be observed by any two players or an official.

And from Competition manual 1.5: B. Two types of starts will be used to begin competitive play:

(1) Shotgun Starts (rounds where several groups start simultaneously): At a scheduled time, scorecard(s) shall be distributed to the player listed first on each hole. After the cards have been distributed, groups shall be given adequate time to reach their assigned teeing areas. A loud noisemaker, such as an air horn, shall be used to indicate that there are two minutes remaining until tee off. This signal shall be a series of short blasts. At this time, players are to end practice and all practice shots and move promptly to their teeing areas. A throw by a player between the two minute signal and the start of the round shall receive a warning if observed by two or more players or an official. After being warned, subsequent throws by the player during this period, if observed by two or more players or an official, shall result in one penalty throw added to the player's score, regardless of the number of throws. An extended blast of the noisemaker begins the round and signals the scorekeepers to call the throwing orders. If a player is not present to throw when it is his or her turn, the scorekeeper shall allow 30 seconds. If the player has not thrown after the 30 seconds has elapsed, a score of par plus four is to be entered for that hole. This procedure continues on any subsequent holes for which a player is absent. No holes shall be replayed. If a complete round is missed, or if a player does not finish a round, the player may, at the discretion of the director, be disqualified.

Last edited:
Thats because its not a violation. Its only if you land before you release the disc.......think putting....your hand is in front of you lie quite often when you lean in, and the disc is still in the hand.

This is right. If it was a violation, then any "drop in" putts would be illegal or a violation. Your plant foot has to maintain contact with the ground BEHIND the lie WHEN the disc is released from the hand.

fliippin the disc thrown for sure.

In casual rounds we couldn't care less, but you will be warned and eventually docked strokes in tourney play.

Jump putt is one you see misconceptions on as well. (discers not knowing how far out you can legally jump putt)

Latest posts