• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most EXTREME course you've ever played?

Fun hanging out with y'all this weekend.

Extreme course? Yes. Most definitely. Most extreme? Nah, not for me - I had no problem crushing out a round a day for 3 days, and if I could convince anybody to play a glow round...

Iffy has been one of my favorites for many years. Really nice to get one of the two aces hit there this weekend. Both on the same hole. Put a beat down on quite a few people. Can't wait for next Iffy Hollers event.

MD, you need to come down for Goatman's tourney in December. I really enjoy his course and you haven't bagged it yet...;)

MD, you need to come down for Goatman's tourney in December. I really enjoy his course and you haven't bagged it yet...;)

Actually he has been here twice. Stopped over for the night on his way to BG AMS this year with MandaBear and his first time was a few years ago with his dad. Always glad to see my Traveling Brother.

Actually he has been here twice. Stopped over for the night on his way to BG AMS this year with MandaBear and his first time was a few years ago with his dad. Always glad to see my Traveling Brother.

:doh: Oops I forgot to put "The" in front of Goatpath in my head when I went to look thru his course list, lol.

Chavez Ridge outside LA is the craziest course I've ever played. It's the only place I've ever been hesitant to tee off on a few holes.

Also, if anyone finds my GStar Leo3 I lost there I'd love to have it back. Haha

Wildlife Prairie Park DGC outside Peoria. Being that I've only played less than a dozen courses, it might not be all that 'extreme' by some standards, but it was long, and brutal, and the steep trails, slick from rain and wet autumn leaves were treacherous in spots. I've done a lot of hiking, including a good bit on the Appalachian Trail, and some of this course was tougher hike than that. If it were a hiking trail, I'd rate it a 3.5 of 5 difficulty. More than moderately difficult. As a disc golf course, and as a newish player, I'd rate it 'Are you f'ing SERIOUS?!?!' :D

Branson Trails Blue was extreme but within reason, and provided an extremely exhausting round with some fun shots.

Sharktooth Mountain near Bakersfield, CA, had some more extreme holes, the kind where a missed putt doesn't result in a rollaway as much as a 100' "float away" before a potential rollaway.

Personally, some of the more extreme courses are also the ones I enjoy most.

Update: This thread inspired me to seek out and play more extreme disc golf courses. I really enjoy a challenge and I don't have a fear of heights. Over the past year I have played the following "extreme" courses that are NOT at a Ski Resort... I have listed from toughest to not the toughest.

I am going to have to give the nod to Bucksnort DGC in Colorado AND Diamond X in Montana.

Top Two:
Bucksnort DGC - Pine, CO
Diamond X DGC - Billings, MT

Tied for Third:
Goblin Valley State Park DGC - Green River, UT
Makoshika State Park DGC - Glendive, MT
Ironside DGC - Cedar City, UT

Only 9 hole course to make the list:
The Boneyard - Globe, AZ

Finally:
Sugaree - Newland, NC

Sugaree is the only non-western course on the list. To be clear, Sugaree is extreme for an Appalachian course, but not so extreme when compared to these rugged, Western disc golf courses. Western courses are very exposed to the sun, weather and wind, while Sugaree plays among the beautiful shady Appalachian woods.

Most extreme Ski Resort courses I have played:
Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard DGC
Brian Head Resort DGC
China Peak Resort DGC

All of these ski resort courses have a lift ride UP to the first tee. So, while they have extreme elevation changes and some extreme "black diamond" terrain, you get an easy ride up. All the other extreme courses I listed require YOU to walk up and down to play - no rides!

I was just wondering... is there a way that TimG could make Extreme courses something that is searchable on the main site? Like maybe have there be a button to click during the review?

I like this idea. I would always start out my vacation and road trip planning with a search of quality "extreme" courses and then add on from there.

I love courses that push you both with quality dg and a bit of grinding physical challenge. It's definitely a factor I take into consideration when I'm designing new holes and laying things out at Hidden Ridge.

Dragon Ridge in Candenton, Missouri is very extreme and features one of roughest sections anywhere. Holes 6-9 have a sign stating that this is a dangerous section and players should be in good physical condition and be wearing proper footwear. So the Valk Kid who failed on both conditions soldiered on. Hole 6 plays down a super steep hill with a goat trail leading down and then 7-8-9 play up this rock strewn ravine filled with the worst jagged rocks one can imagine. Had I had known it was anywhere this bad, I would have skipped this section in a heartbeat.

This hole course is covered with sharp, jagged rocks making walking anywhere treacherous. Previous reviewers tell stories of young, healthy players in their groups twisting ankles and skinning knees.

Back to my experience with this section. I somehow managed not to fall, scrape or multilate my decrepid old body in any way.

I played Idlewild in 2000, back just after it opened. It was one of the first courses I ever played. Somehow, I kept going. It is tough now but back then, it wasn't "beat in" and half an inch off the fairway and you were in massive schule. The course now is absolute cake compared to what it was then. Same hole layout, too!

Dragon Ridge in Candenton, Missouri is very extreme and features one of roughest sections anywhere. Holes 6-9 have a sign stating that this is a dangerous section and players should be in good physical condition and be wearing proper footwear. So the Valk Kid who failed on both conditions soldiered on. Hole 6 plays down a super steep hill with a goat trail leading down and then 7-8-9 play up this rock strewn ravine filled with the worst jagged rocks one can imagine. Had I had known it was anywhere this bad, I would have skipped this section in a heartbeat.

This hole course is covered with sharp, jagged rocks making walking anywhere treacherous. Previous reviewers tell stories of young, healthy players in their groups twisting ankles and skinning knees.

Back to my experience with this section. I somehow managed not to fall, scrape or multilate my decrepid old body in any way.

The Boneyard is a course built on an old copper mine and the course description advises wearing long pants. However, it was hot out the day I played, so I didn't change into the long pants I brought and wore my shorts. My legs were scratched and bloody by the time I reached the third tee.

I played Idlewild in 2000, back just after it opened. It was one of the first courses I ever played. Somehow, I kept going. It is tough now but back then, it wasn't "beat in" and half an inch off the fairway and you were in massive schule. The course now is absolute cake compared to what it was then. Same hole layout, too!

Lol. I did the same thing. I had been playing nothing but Boone Woods for a year or so when I heard there was a brand new course just down the road. I wasn't aware of all the other local courses yet so I was stoked.

I fought my way through that beast and only lost 1 of my 3 discs. You're dead on about the rough, it was all narrow fairway, then a freaking wall of honeysuckle, grapevine, and stickers once you got off the line. Just brutal. Maintenance crews did mow ALL the grass up and down old 15, so at least there was that going for me.

I remember thinking, "this is really dumb, why would anyone play this crap, it's miserable?". Now it's my favorite and we play it more than any other local course.

I know it doesn't compare to the mountain courses out west, or even some here in NC, but this past weekend I got to play

Richmond Hill in Asheville

As you know from reviews, about a third of the holes play across a deep ravine. Its cleared out very well, and even has steps in a few spots, but still pretty extreme to climb several times. The cool part is 17 runs right up the heart of the ravine.
The course is in great shape now, no long pants required.

I also got to play Robert L Smith in Charlotte last week. Its listed as a physically demanding course, but that is really just the first 4 holes, all very overgrown. I thought about packing it in after #2, but glad I didn't, 5-17 were in great shape. 18 had a steep downhill walk (guess I missed the trail), but it was manageable.