• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most HSS Wide Rim Driver?

McLeod

Eagle Member
I need a driver similar to Boss/Nuke/Halo that is more high speed stable in strong headwinds. My drives (RHBH) with these types of mold average in the +400' range and max out at 500', but tend to flip over in strong headwinds. Trying an ESP Force right now but seems no different. Is there a mold I'm overlooking or should I just accept that I'll have to disc down in a headwind?

XCals have worked in the past but seem to break in and start to flip with wear, plus they seem to be a touch slower than the wide rim molds. Currently using a Max for fierce winds, but is hard to get out past 400'.
Are the Echo Bosses more overstable than the Feldbergs? Thinking of trying one of these or a different run of Force.

I throw domey Z Forces and in really strong headwinds I might add a little hyzer. Best I've found so far.

I've heard Starlite Bosses are more stable even though it seems counter intuitive.

I throw domey Z Forces and in really strong headwinds I might add a little hyzer. Best I've found so far.

Have you heard if the Sparkle Z Forces are any more stable?

I've heard Starlite Bosses are more stable even though it seems counter intuitive.

I can see that being true on a calm day, but with strong gusts that thing's gonna get screwy.

How fast is the Spirit? Is it as low profile as the high-speed, wide rim drivers?

Some guys on my second card were talking about the spirit. Comparable to firebirds (glow-flat top) and or XXX's was most of what I heard. You don't need that one in ur bag yo. (I know his bag just as good as mine guys)

Find a z-flick. I think, personally, it's more comparable to X-cals. I'll bet you can push these far. Don't throw any of mine. they're to used. Anyone have any of the older run Z-flicks. try one of those. With the lettering at the very top and bottom of the disc. In my experience they seem to be more overstable than the others with "flick" across the middle......

....but you don't like the shallow rim.....just remembered while typing.

This guy is talking about 500' of power and headwinds turning things over, correct?

Flick is speed stable, not truly overstable and I would wonder if this guy throwing into a headwind would actually see it flip.

Im a mere mortal but I guy I know on the course that throws that far I think I saw using a Teerex for this purpose, but cant remember for sure.

This guy is talking about 500' of power and headwinds turning things over, correct?

Flick is speed stable, not truly overstable and I would wonder if this guy throwing into a headwind would actually see it flip.

Im a mere mortal but I guy I know on the course that throws that far I think I saw using a Teerex for this purpose, but cant remember for sure.

He's got the power, trust me. Usually, on bomb drives from the both of us, he's about 30 + ft further than I am. I've seen flicks (the ones with "FLICK" ran across the middle) turn over in decent headwinds. One that I still use, surprisingly does not. (The ones with "Flick" written at the top of the flight plate and "Discraft...." written at the bottom)

It seems backwards, but have you tried a light star boss? The ones that are known as 'star lite' are quite a bit more stable than regular star bosses, and might hold up to a headwind a little better for you.

I have a heavy old-stamp Z-flick. It's less HSS than my Z forces. Also, the plastic on my flick is awesome gummy Z which is probably one of my favorite plastics but seems to beat up a little quicker. The sharp edge on the flick might also account for some of the wear.

Anyway, the point is that the old flick that I have isn't stable enough for what he's looking for. I've had it flip on me in a strong headwind and my D maxes out around 450-460 on a calm day. <- That's maxes out btw. Most of the time I'm around 400'.

Latest posts