• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most preferred hole type?

There is also the scenario where #2 actually has significant OB which requires you to focus on where your disc lands. Thereby giving you free range of the air (where a disc is supposed to be) but requiring skill to place your shots.

Now, I do enjoy long holes, 400' and some change is about my max. So i still had a shot at a 3 at that 885' hole. I missed the long putt, but it was possible. But it was just an open, flat field.

Give me an open shot at 600' with a possibility to hit something. IMO there should be something in the way, if it's on the side or smack dab in the middle. Otherwise it might as well be driving practice.

Yeah flat and wide open is boring. #1 at Deis Hill in Dover Ohio is fun though because its nearly 1000' and is a biiiig hill sloping to the left. Everyone fades hard down the hill their first try driving it. Also the pin is tucked behind another hill with a huge wooded downhill slope left rear of the pin making a deep second shot ugly. OB road on the right with a few trees lining it. It's still a really open hole but the elevation makes it fun imo.

Type 1 blows, two can suck if there's absolutley no obstacles, but is good if there's at least some things to hit/OB. Type three is the knees, because I prefer FAIRways rather than poke and hope holes.

My favorite holes are ones that start out open, but you're throwing for a gap in the woods 300' away or so. I really like some 500-600' par 4's with a bit of everything.

Right idea but just a bit long on your skill level ranges. Here are the PDGA/DGCD guidelines if you look at the Water/Dogleg and Approach Throw sections: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGASkillGuides2009.pdf

I almost typed something to this effect knowing you would probably say this if you read it. :)

I based my distances on holes I enjoy the most as a shorter than average Blue level player: I really like Renny #7 & 17 and Hornet's Nest 16 (all L shape). I also LOVE most at Steady Ed - but that is more due to the terrain and hole shapes than the point-n-shoot type of design Stan does. And, I find a lot of Idlewild's dogleg holes to be too short to be an addictingly fun challenge.....and likewise I find several other Renny & Hornet's Nest Web & Lemon Lake Gold doglegs to be too much for me (and they should be since they are Gold courses).

I'm sure for scoring spread, shorter is better.....but this thread is about preferred/favorite. :thmbup: If/when I get the chance to design a course with multiple Par-4's this will be a challenging conundrum to balance!

At the end of the day.....I'm sure you agree that the world needs lots more of these types of holes.

I love longer holes that start open and close up closer to the basket, either due to trees or specified mandatories. No only do you have to rip your drive but you want to hit that specific landing zone for an easy upshot or if you have a cannon then you actaully are trying to get through those mandies/trees.

Edit: my example would be Golden State hole 18 , (or know as long tee #2 backside) at La Mirada.

Wooded holes with enough room to shape lines but narrow enough to punish errant shots are the most rewarding when you hit that perfect drive. When you have to make a decision off the tee if you want to risk throwing a driver to get the distance or going with a mid to have a better chance of hitting the fairway, it makes you think on the tee and often means throwing different discs in different rounds.

I played a cool wooded dogleg hole recently, the first shot was 350' but with enough slope down the hill to make it play more like 280'. From there it was about 500' to the pin, with water on the left and woods on the right for the first 300', then a narrowing lane through mature trees to the pin. It makes you throw a placement drive, a more open drive with water risk where if you bite off more distance you risk a bad lie behind large trees, and a nice approach that is different from the various spots you can end up. I thought it was a really cool design that plays as a nice par 5 for intermediate to advanced players.

I know the hole. It's a beautiful beast. But then again my skill level is low for now.
I might go play just that hole on my lunch break some morning.
(stupid water & thick woods! grrr!)

I played a cool wooded dogleg hole recently, the first shot was 350' but with enough slope down the hill to make it play more like 280'. From there it was about 500' to the pin, with water on the left and woods on the right for the first 300', then a narrowing lane through mature trees to the pin. It makes you throw a placement drive, a more open drive with water risk where if you bite off more distance you risk a bad lie behind large trees, and a nice approach that is different from the various spots you can end up. I thought it was a really cool design that plays as a nice par 5 for intermediate to advanced players.

What course? Sounds like a pretty cool hole.

I know the hole. It's a beautiful beast. But then again my skill level is low for now.
I might go play just that hole on my lunch break some morning.
(stupid water & thick woods! grrr!)

Very cool hole, the back 9 there was a pleasant surprise.

What course? Sounds like a pretty cool hole.

Marilla Park in Streator, it's pretty new but there are signs and baskets, just no tee pads yet.

Cool - will need to hit that up some time when I'm in that area.....maybe when I drop my daughter off at UofI (in 6 or years) I can take a little detour.

I enjoy holes that take 2 shots to reach a putting area. In other words, what is usually considered a par 4. So anything from a very wooded 400' hole to an extremely open hole over 600', as long as it is not just flat, completely open and has no obstacles.

I like technical holes with an obvious line and a line you have to be stupid to try (but is incredibly rewarding when you hit it). I can't really think of any examples of that, but it sounds pretty sweet.

I'm also a huge fan of hole 15 at Pier Park in Portland and hole 18 at Terrace Creek, neither of which matches what I just described.