• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Simple Post Ever

bigjon318

Bogey Member
I hope this post gets a lot of play...

I have one question: Why do you play?

For me: exercise. challenge of getting better. comraderie with friends and other chuckers.

Please respond often, I think this could be an interesting thread...

Basically I play for the same reasons, bigjon.
I have met numerous people since playing, and for the most part, all were good folks.

I also enjoy seeing someone else make terrific shots. Very entertaining when someone aces and they do some kind of funny dance or something...:D

I've only been playing for less than a year (wish I would have found this sport a long time ago), and I mostly play with my bro-in-law.

To me, the addiction is watching the disc fly, hopefully where I want it to go. I got to watch one of mine go in from about 50' yesterday and the flight was exactly what I imagined when I lined it up. What a feeling that was.

Other reasons I play are:

• Low cost of disc golf (I am an avid ball golfer)
  • Scenery and just being outdoors
  • Equipment. I love that there are so many discs that do so many different things and feel so different.
  • Exercise
  • Hanging out with the bro-in-law
  • Competition (we are both pretty equal and progressing at the same rate)

I am hooked on this game. So much so that my golf clubs are getting a little nervous.

There is sooo much:

1) I have horrible allergies, this is one of the only things that will get me outside, I still suffer, but I enjoy the suffering much more than just hanging out or walking outside

2) My wife enjoys it too so it is something that can always be suggested with little chance of veto.

3) Like others have said, watching the disc do what you wanted is a beautiful thing. It is like gambling 50+ times a round and sometimes you hit the jackpot, other times you crap out.

4) The unpredictability of said flight, especially when trees and other nature are brought into play...trees can give you some lovin you would never dream...they can also beat you like a stepchild.

5) Nature. We saw a baby dear yesterday at East Roswell Park. There were 2 women on my card so I had to tell them to snap out of it or they would've stared at it all day! Have also seen bunnies, woodchuck, squirrels of course, a hawk, an owl etc etc...

6) It is something I am "ok" at and enjoy doing and having a really good round is very satisfying.

7) We just got into the tournament scene and really like it.

8) Awesome people, CraigD and family, Gvan and family, 12StonesScott, ATL Scott, Lewis, David Sauls and many others not on this site make the sport worth playing.

Atison

I suggest you copy, paste, & print your post, put it in your bag, and refer to it whenever you're having a bad round---especially if you get into tournament play. It's never a bad idea to remember why you're playing.

watching the disc do what you wanted is a beautiful thing..

And all too rare in my case. But that's why I started playing. An anny place shot that lands right on the crest of a hill for an easy approach is almost as good as a 100' aproach that happens to go in.

A million reasons, but i'll shorten the list to a couple hundred or so for this post.

the challenge. What man doesn't want one?

Enjoying God's creation.

Being around other guys that are hilarious, especially when they throw 5' and nail a tree, ripping the disc in half.

Meeting new people and randomly playing my best round ever with them.

understanding physics.

staying in shape.

relaxation. DG is much more relaxing than the best day at work or school, even if I have a horrible round.

And that feeling you get when you make a ridiculous shot like being within the circle on a 550' hole (wayyyyyy downhill in Colorado), and then missing the putt which reminds you that you are only human.

For starters It's a sport that I'm really good at! (I was always the picked last guy)
I love being out in nature and the elements. I've always enjoyed going to parks or being in the woods and just wandering around, taking it all in. Looking around, as if looking at a detailed painting, at what God created!
There is something about watching a disc sail, and knowing that that is your throw! It's fascinating! That's also how I can get people hooked, They might waffle around about it. Until they throw that disc! Then they'll know if they want to play or not!
I also enjoy stopping at different courses on a trip, just to see the different towns in america.
I'm a fan of the small town courses.

i enjoy a lot of things about this sport, but mainly I enjoy the challenge and the fact that I can still have fun even if I have a terrible round (unlike ball golf which is incredibly infuriating).

it's fun, I love the outdoors, I get some time away from the wife, I get to met new people, it's cheap, I get to see friends more than just at the bar of for a Bears/Cubs game, it's really fun, dyeing discs is awesome, hitting that long shot, good exercise, it's really really fun, working on drives, hitting that 2 foot gap in the trees that you may not have been aiming for but you still made it, getting that perfect hyzer around the tree to park a birdie, competition and last but not least, IT'S FUN!

I rode bulls for 20 years. When I quit, I found myself sort of lost. I had put my heart and soul into a passion for so long that I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself. I just stumbled into disc golf by driving by one of the local courses thinking to myself, "that looks like a blast". Disc golf has now become my hobby or passion. I love it because it is a little outside the box and not commercialized. The comraderie is very much like that of rodeo cowboys. Everyone is really chill and having fun start to finish. I love the different shot selections, and disc selections. The fact that you have several shot options from any lie keeps it from becoming monotonous. My Mom and step dad started going with me here and there for exercise. They like disc golf because most courses don't feel like being out on a (Ball) golf course, it feels like a nature walk that includes a game. My only regret is that I didn't find DG while I was still driving all over the country to rodeos like a crazy person, I could've played lots of great courses.

I play because it's an activity that I can do outside, which being that i work at night something that gets me out into the sun helps a lot. I also love that I can play with several friends, just one other person, or myself if I really want to get out there. Also it's a sport/game that has a lot of strategy, you could get from any one tee to any one basket innumerable ways.

I also love walking around in the woods and parks. I like exploring my world around.

I love throwing discs. Always have.

I love collecting things...but I don't like collections of things. For example I have like..50+ discs. But they're not just sitting around looking pretty. They're being used. I have friends try different discs. Many of those are putters and I practice putting with all of them for various reasons... (right now I'm liking my soft magnet and an XD two totally different putters, for different reasons)

I like the pretty flight patterns of discs. I like the low cost. I like that I can take my time and really think about each shot, or I can literally jog through the course if I feel like it. I've done both...and as a fat dude. I need to do more of the latter but I need to not try it at Ellison (the whole place is literally one big sled hill..)

I like that I can play just about anywhere with my portable basket :)

I like playing with my dad, it gives us something else to do while we hang out and talk.

\/\/

To me, the addiction is watching the disc fly, hopefully where I want it to go. I got to watch one of mine go in from about 50' yesterday and the flight was exactly what I imagined when I lined it up. What a feeling that was.

Other reasons I play are:

• Low cost of disc golf (I am an avid ball golfer)
  • Scenery and just being outdoors
  • Equipment. I love that there are so many discs that do so many different things and feel so different.
  • Exercise

I seriously love watching the disc fly. Especially if it goes where I want it to, but even if not. All of the things above are awesome, but I can't get over watching that disc go, go, go.

Atison

I suggest you copy, paste, & print your post, put it in your bag, and refer to it whenever you're having a bad round---especially if you get into tournament play. It's never a bad idea to remember why you're playing.

Yeah, I do bring some of my bad habits over from ball golf (taking myself too seriously for one). For me though, disc golf is much easier to say oh well, I will just have fun this round if things aren't working out right.

And to re-echo what others echo'ed from my post :D, I just love watching the disc fly.

I heard about disc golf on the radio. Some guys on a Trucker over night talk show were talking about it if you can believe it.
I was trying to find an activity were I could exercise and have fun at the same time. I bought some discs on Craig's List and I was hooked.

I love the fact that once you have the discs, all it cost me to play is little gas , and some bottles of water. You can't beat the price.

I love the fact that you can get your friends together and hang out for a fun afternoon doing something fun, and cheap. I also love making new friends at the course, and I love watching the discs fly, and I love throwing. I also am addicted to the sound of the chains. Its music to my ears.

DG actually replaced skateboarding for me. The piece it added was competition. Like most of the country we have tournaments all the time up here in New England. This site is great and really helps me to hit all the coursese I want to which is really a skateboarding mentality. In high school we used to pike in someone's car and drive all over the state hitting little skatespots here and there. I've got one DG friend now who used to skate and he completely understands the idea of hitting te first course at sunrise just to maximize daylight. I really love this game and it helps that it's outside and there is some amazing scenery I wouldn't see otherwise.

Now that I'm getting close to 34 and my motabolism and stamina are not what they used to me I really cling to disc golf as a chance to get out and exercise. It's also nice that unlike more competetive sports the risk of injury is minimal.

Keep this thread going. I love reading what you guys are saying.

Latest posts