• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most underrated courses out there

Been wanting to play there for awhile now. My brother and I were actually going to meet up with you to play there last fall but the weather kept us from making the drive out. I've already played Deis Hill and Lincoln Park, so I'd like to make a day of Roscoe Ewing, Portage Lakes, and Arboretum Spiker.

Definitely worth checking out. Long, challenging but fair, good variety, and beautiful scenery.

Friends of Punderson DGC - most of the ratings are from when it was only 9 holes. With 18 holes it is in my top 5.

Two Mile Run Extension - 9 hole courses always get rated down. This is a par 35 coming in at 4,000 feet. There are some legit par 4s and 5s on this 9 hole course. If you play the reds and whites it makes for a great 18 holes.

I can second Punderson. It's pretty new, but like Portage Lakes it's a long, challenging wooded course well worth checking out.

In fact here's a video from each of those two courses. P Lakes longs, mix at Punderson.

Pondering how to define "underrated", since ratings are generally a consensus of disc golfer opinions. One thought it they fall into 3 categories:

---Courses that have improved over time, but whose rating is held down by earlier reviews
---Personal taste; an individual's opinion that a course should be rated higher than most others would rate it
---Under the Radar, little-known courses that aren't under-rated as far as their actual rating, but are in regards to the esteem and notoriety they have in the wider disc golf world.

Hillcrest farms DGC is a relatively new course in Prince Edward Island in Atlantic Canada that has to be under everyone's radar. It's pretty awesome though: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5358 Its also kind of funny how it even came about. You can read the story here: http://www.hillcrestfarmpei.com/discgolf/story/, but, essentially, a couple who played the game once or twice got hooked and searched the interwebs and found John Houck. They commissioned him to design a course on their farm and the end result is disc golf gold. If you're ever out this way, be sure to visit Bonshaw, PEI, you won't be disappointed!

Last edited:
2. Stumpy Creek, Mooresville, NC. Stumpy gets overlooked being 25 minutes north of Charlotte and not being a CDGC-run course.

3. Goose Landing, Richfield, NC. Newer course that isn't getting the recognition it deserves. Also lost in the shadow of Charlotte courses and Fox Chase, which is only 10 minutes south of here.

I think pretty much all of the courses around here that aren't Charlotte proper get overlooked a bit. For instance I don't think the Gastonia courses are underrated per se, but I feel like they're definitely overlooked, and I think they compare quite well with the likes of Reedy, Kilborne, Winget, Scrapyard, Sugaw, Elon, etc. I would say however that Stumpy is definitely underrated and overlooked.

Wasn't it completely re-designed recently?

If so, it may also suffer from earlier ratings, or at least those of us who remember the earlier version.

Yes sir, it got a make over from Stan McDaniel

My vote- Sharp Springs http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=378

Yes it's rated 3.93 but I don't hear much talk about it. When you go to Nashville you hear all about Cedar Hill & Seven Oaks, but Sharp Springs doesn't seem to come up often.
I guess the fact it isn't actually in Nashville hurts a bit but I enjoyed playing it as much as the "Big 2" (made that up myself!)

I second both Punderson and Linbrook.

Punderson is amazing - one of the best courses I've played. Found it to be way better than Portage, personally: lots of complex, well-designed, challenging holes. Can frustratingly force you to lay up at points, and can play a bit unfair, but it's a darn good course. Definitely the most overlooked course in the western PA/eastern OH region that I've played.

If Linbrook ever is well kept and expands to 18, I think it'll be the best course in the region, hands down. And that's saying something. Phenomenal mix of holes: pretty much everything you could ask for except for a chance to air it out (thus far, anyway).

Pondering how to define "underrated", since ratings are generally a consensus of disc golfer opinions. One thought it they fall into 3 categories:

---Courses that have improved over time, but whose rating is held down by earlier reviews
---Personal taste; an individual's opinion that a course should be rated higher than most others would rate it
---Under the Radar, little-known courses that aren't under-rated as far as their actual rating, but are in regards to the esteem and notoriety they have in the wider disc golf world.

That's a good point. I particularly meant more for the second category, courses that you think are a good bit better than what their rating shows. However, the examples I gave in the OP fit all three of those categories and it has been nice to discover some hidden gems that I have never heard of before.

I'm seconding the mentions of 2 mile run extension and linbrook. Best two nine holders I've ever played.

Hillcrest farms DGC is a relatively new course in Prince Edward Island in Atlantic Canada that has to be under everyone's radar. It's pretty awesome though: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5358 Its also kind of funny how it even came about. You can read the story here: http://www.hillcrestfarmpei.com/discgolf/story/, but, essentially, a couple who played the game once or twice got hooked and searched the interwebs and found John Houck. They commissioned him to design a course on their farm and the end result is disc golf gold. If you're ever out this way, be sure to visit Bonshaw, PEI, you won't be disappointed!

I had seen photos of Hole 11 before, but not the entire course. It looks fantastic.

I know its a 4.36 but the jackson memorial course at the idgc should be in the top ten at least.

Also the bear at highbridge is the best course there imo. Its just never mowed

The 2 courses where Orange Crush is. I enjoyed much more than Idlewild.

Perfect storm

Whispering Falls has the perfect recipe for being under-rated; poor navigation,long transitions and it beats people's brains out. I loved it ! Rated 3.58.

Perkerson park in ATL also comes to mind. The design there is very nice but since it's in the ghetto it has a sub 4 rating on this site.

I hear Perkerson Park itself is beautiful, but I haven't played there yet because of the neighborhood.

I know its a 4.36 but the jackson memorial course at the idgc should be in the top ten at least.

Also the bear at highbridge is the best course there imo. Its just never mowed

I agree with both of those. I was amazed Jackson was rated so low after playing it. I bet the Bear still suffers from having 7 holes for so long.

I think pretty much all of the courses around here that aren't Charlotte proper get overlooked a bit. For instance I don't think the Gastonia courses are underrated per se, but I feel like they're definitely overlooked, and I think they compare quite well with the likes of Reedy, Kilborne, Winget, Scrapyard, Sugaw, Elon, etc. I would say however that Stumpy is definitely underrated and overlooked.

Stumpy TOTALLY underrated... I continue to add fairness, and I think it is silly people rate it down because you get to finish on some more open holes. Those holes are difficult. Also, now with the new parking lots there will be less people on the grass during soccer season.

Dry creek is underrated I think. If they move the tee signs it would be tough to not see it as a 4.5 level course. Unfortunately there are WAY more overrated courses than underrated.

100% agree that Stumpy is way better than 3.50. The Gastonia courses (I'd rate 3.4ish) are better than Sugaw (and maybe Eastway, who I think are 3.25ish) but have enough clunker holes that they aren't as cohesive/thoughtful/well-executed as Reedy, Kilborne, Winget (3.6ish) and most definitely Scrapyard (3.8ish).

Renny and Hornets Nest are bonafide 4.5 courses if they had good signage and better maintenance.

100% agree that Stumpy is way better than 3.50. The Gastonia courses (I'd rate 3.4ish) are better than Sugaw (and maybe Eastway, who I think are 3.25ish) but have enough clunker holes that they aren't as cohesive/thoughtful/well-executed as Reedy, Kilborne, Winget (3.6ish) and most definitely Scrapyard (3.8ish).

Renny and Hornets Nest are bonafide 4.5 courses if they had good signage and better maintenance.

I'm on board with Stumpy also. But I will have to disagree with Bradley Center and Goat Island (assuming its considered G-town) not being well thought out or cohesive. A lot of effort was put into making each hole on those course very consistent, skill level wise, and to maintaining a good course flow, which was not easy at either of those places. I don't think those two are underrated, but not cohesive or thoughtful they are not, IMO. I do agree Rankin has some of those issues though.

One I reviewed today, that just keeps getting improved.

O'Hauser Park, Neenah, WI

Really nice course that's overshadowed locally by Rollin' Ridge. Course wise, it's pretty damn fun, and should probably be over 4.0.

I thought Borderland in Easton, MA is even underrated at 4.21. It's probably top 3 of the courses I've played. I'm thinking the rubber tees are what's holding it back...but the golf is absolutely phenomenal.

Both of these have a lot of tweener holes from the longs....and lots of holes have lots of random trouble late which compounds that problem. This issue knocks both courses down at least half a disc in my book since a great drive earns you little score-wise compared to decent drive - both leave you with a NAGS (John Houcks term for "not a golf shot"....ie a 60-160' upshot).

I tend to think those courses are a bit overrated.