• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Are we saying ice cream is no longer ice cream after it melts?

Interesting.

Are we saying ice cream is no longer ice cream after it melts?

Interesting.

And is mouse essence no longer mouse when it is eaten by cat? When does it change its essence? Takes me way back to my intro philosophy courses, epistlemologically speaking.

Ya, and that is a problem. For instance, and let me remove ourselves from disc golf for a moment for some perspective. You could say you don't like vanilla ice cream, you could say that it is bad, and no one should argue with you seriously. However, if you were to say that a bowl of solid state ice cream in front of you was 110 degrees fahrenheit then people would and should disagree with you seriously. We could measure the temperature of that ice cream and it would be objective and it would be a fact. It wouldn't be your fact or my fact or anyone's fact, it would just be a fact.

And then I'd say I like my freeze-dried astronaut ice cream hot.

c82cdf0e-dac6-4c5b-8ef2-f443c550ef3c_1.2745b3ebc80708a4943a68daaf82ca41.jpeg

Melted ice cream is just highly sweetened, flavored cream.
Cat poop is just cat poop.

Upon close examination, you can tell what it used to be (i.e. chocolate, butter pecan, mouse, bird, fish, etc). It used to be that thing, but it no longer is.

Methinks that we've somehow strayed from the subject at hand, though.

Should you have the opportunity to play Harmony Bends, do so. I guarandamntee you will think it's a great course. By every criteria we use to rate courses, that much is a fact. Whether you think it's #1 or # 25 is your opinion.

Last edited:
Methinks that we've somehow strayed from the subject at hand, though.

Should you have the opportunity to play Harmony Bends, do so. I guarandamntee you will think it's a great course. By every criteria we use to rate courses, that much is a fact. Whether you think it's #1 or # 25 is your opinion.

The thing I like about the state of this golf is that I bet there are multiple courses from 1 - 25 or even beyond that I would consider relatively similar on a rating scale, even if the exact reasons are slightly different.

Ya know, ice cream's temperature isn't a "fact," per se. First of all, it depends how you measure it. Second, there's always measurement error. I guess it is objective, and measuring multiple ice cream samples or one sample as it heats or cools, by the same thermometer, should tell you whether they/it are/is warmer or cooler and by how much with some degree of certainty. How does this relate to disc golf courses again?

Welp Langley Pond is out, BRP is back in, and Idlewild is up to 7. Shoutout to some local who gave Odell Weeks 3 discs and Langley Pond 4; still puzzling over that with my puzzler.

Welp Langley Pond is out, BRP is back in, and Idlewild is up to 7. Shoutout to some local who gave Odell Weeks 3 discs and Langley Pond 4; still puzzling over that with my puzzler.

What's wrong with his ratings? He gave a 4.7 course a 4.0. Seems more than fair. He gave his hometown 2.38 course a 3. Still within a reasonable range.

What's wrong with his ratings? He gave a 4.7 course a 4.0. Seems more than fair. He gave his hometown 2.38 course a 3. Still within a reasonable range.

Either is understandable but when viewed together---Langley Pond just 1.0 better than Odell Weeks---a bit startling. Or, as sjberry2017 phrased it, puzzling. The guy's opinion, of course, and SJ didn't say it was wrong....just puzzling.

No alarm necessary! I agree with Heelboycraig that both reviews seem thoughtful. These were not drive-by reviews written to drop or elevate a particular course rating. It is doubtful the reviewer even knew Langley Pond was in the Top 10.

The thing I like about the state of this golf is that I bet there are multiple courses from 1 - 25 or even beyond that I would consider relatively similar on a rating scale, even if the exact reasons are slightly different.

As Armiller points out, he Top 25 or Top 40 courses are all so close in ratings, the order can switch with just one review. This will happen whether or not we all agree with the new review. This is why I use the "Top Ranked by State" when deciding which area course to play. For now, Langley Pond is still the top ranked course in South Carolina (until Canaan Riverbend gets enough reviews).

I just went and played Harmony Bends. It was great, but I'm torn between 4.5 and 5.0 right now. The wet fairways are probably the main negative. For me, it also lacked some of the "wow" factor that my 5s gave me. But it was great DG from start to finish. I think some reasons for its success with numbers are 1) great design throughout, with great use of elevation and the creek, and 2) it's got something for everyone, such that it's not too extreme for some folks (a la Branson Trails Blue).

I met one guy on the course who lives nearby and plays the short tees regularly, and has never played another course. What a course to start on...

Either is understandable but when viewed together---Langley Pond just 1.0 better than Odell Weeks---a bit startling. Or, as sjberry2017 phrased it, puzzling. The guy's opinion, of course, and SJ didn't say it was wrong....just puzzling.

I'd suspect his rating for Odell Weeks include the hometown bump of .5 - 1.0 of a rating.

That said, based on the terminology of the ratings, reviewer rated Langley as 'Excellent' and Odell Weeks as 'Good.' Looking at it from that perspective, it's harder to think of said ratings as 'puzzling'.

Maybe stuff like this is why it got a 4...

I played Langley Pond DGC today and noticed these stupid plastic-sleeved signs for CTP and other tourney info laying on the ground throughout the course. The signs were for the 'Augusta Open' which was about a month ago so I was confused as to why they weren't picked up. I've seen these temporary plastic signs left behind on other courses as well but Langley pond is a DGCR top-10 course and the Augusta Open was a big-time A-tier so it was all the more frustrating our disc-golf brethren would leave plastic trash behind.
Does anyone have the TD perspective as to why/how these signs get left behind to become trash on the course?

Harmony Bends is an interesting case

I think it's a great course, and spectacular masterpiece of riparian disc golf design. Riparian landscapes are the interface and interaction between land and a river or stream.

John Houck has redefined how Disc Golf fits in to this environment. Harmony Bends uses the elevation changes of the creek banks, the water hazards of the meandering Harmony Bend Creek to create a course that provides endless challenges to both recreational and advanced players. Risk / Reward decisions are faced on nearly every shot.

The design is first rate, and a joy to behold. But is the course really the number 1 course in the disc golf universe? Yikes, to my mind it doesn't even reach the top five Houck courses that I've played*. Yes, the design is amazing. But the course has a couple of issues that know it out of my top five:

First and foremost is the problem with drainage on the property. If you play this course within a few days of an even moderate rain storm, you'll find fairways ankle deep in water and a muddy mess. I'm not just talking a puddle here and there… I'm talking major lengths of fairway that are unplayable. This is certainly fixable if the city of Columbia puts a little work into the problem, but for the moment is a huge issue.

Second off, the course is pretty well lacking in amenities that I've come to expect in a top level course: Running water, flush toilets, a pro shop, golf carts… OK, maybe that last one goes a bit too far, but this course is now rating ahead of Selah Ranch, which does have all of the above.

Don't get me wrong, I love Harmony Bends and hope to get back there again soon. However, rating it #1 brings out the limitations and lack of objective criteria for rating courses on DGCourse Review.

Here is my personal rankings of Houck courses:
1) Selah Ranch (both courses as one 36 hole experience): First class all the way, from the Inn to having carts to the pro shop & the whole experience. I didn't have time to get over to Trey Texas Ranch, but just no time. I suspect I'd find those courses and the saloon would make for a great experience.
2) Frost Valley: An epic course set on a huge boy scout camp within 100 miles of New York City, but still surprisingly below the radar. Classic northeast forest, with a real castle a short walk from the 18th basket that you can stay in. Mountain views and multiple lines to the many par 4 and par 5's make this worth the drive.
3) Hillcrest Farm in Bonshaw, Prince Edward Island: Built in the woods adjacent to a family farm, great layout from both Red and White tees, with beautiful landscape, foot bridges, and even flower boxes. Nice welcome shack stocked with insect spray, board games and comfortable chairs.
4) Nantucket: Sand bar flat, but great lines to each hole and you can smell the salt air.
5) *OK, maybe Harmony Bends does make my top five, if I count both Selah courses as one layout. It is a GREAT design. Hopefully the drainage issues will be addressed and a Brew Pub/Pro Shop will open up across the street. (Hey, maybe I have an idea for my retirement)

This is why I use the "Top Ranked by State" when deciding which area course to play. For now, Langley Pond is still the top ranked course in South Carolina (until Canaan Riverbend gets enough reviews).

It's laughable that Canaan will be rated higher than Langley Pond. It might be prettier land but the design and actual golf is vastly inferior.

It's laughable that Canaan will be rated higher than Langley Pond. It might be prettier land but the design and actual golf is vastly inferior.

Unless pretty land is your top criteria.

Or even a significant factor. At the moment, having visited each once, I'd choose Camp Canaan over Langley Pond. (This might change after another visit to Langley; my first wasn't under the best of conditions, for myself or the course).

Here is my personal rankings of Houck courses:
1) Selah Ranch (both courses as one 36 hole experience): First class all the way, from the Inn to having carts to the pro shop & the whole experience. I didn't have time to get over to Trey Texas Ranch, but just no time. I suspect I'd find those courses and the saloon would make for a great experience.
2) Frost Valley: An epic course set on a huge boy scout camp within 100 miles of New York City, but still surprisingly below the radar. Classic northeast forest, with a real castle a short walk from the 18th basket that you can stay in. Mountain views and multiple lines to the many par 4 and par 5's make this worth the drive.
3) Hillcrest Farm in Bonshaw, Prince Edward Island: Built in the woods adjacent to a family farm, great layout from both Red and White tees, with beautiful landscape, foot bridges, and even flower boxes. Nice welcome shack stocked with insect spray, board games and comfortable chairs.
Curious why you have Selah ranked higher than Frost Valley, is that mostly because of the amenities like carts, and 2 courses, or do you prefer more flatter open courses and water hazards? Also curious how Hillcrest compares to FV?