• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

I think there is a misunderstanding here. From what I hear, the local club put in the thousands of hours of course work over a decade. Someone new takes over and doesn't allow said local club to hold annual tourney there. This and charging more and making other administrative changes, etc. That may be why the locals are pissed.
This is hearsay from 1,000 miles away, so take it however you want.

This topic really needs its own thread.

That's how it reads and, I agree, that's good for its own thread.

If the locals take their personal disagreements out in reviews and sabotaging ratings, perhaps it does fit in here. At least a little bit. Some other top-10 or top-25 courses have taken similar hits, not because of the quality of the course, but the bitter feelings of a reviewer. With courses at the top separated by hundredths of a rating point, it doesn't take much to cause one to drop.

Number 10 on the list (Hawk Hollow) is now closed for the summer. It was scheduled to close in a couple weeks but big storms Monday night expedited the process. Will reopen late August/early September.
Flooding?

Number 10 on the list (Hawk Hollow) is now closed for the summer. It was scheduled to close in a couple weeks but big storms Monday night expedited the process. Will reopen late August/early September.
Sorry to hear that, but if a course is not open, shouldn't it be pulled from the top ten until it re-opens ? There are two right now. Let two other courses benefit from the exposure, or get a target on their back...whatever the case may be.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, but if a course is not open, shouldn't it be pulled from the top ten until it re-opens ? There are two right now. Let two other courses benefit from the exposure, or get a target on their back...whatever the case may be.

i marked it as currently unplayable- what else do i need to do?

It's an interesting and valid point. On the other hand, if I'm searching for courses for a future trip, or just curious about top courses for other reasons, I want it to appear.

It comes back to whether Tim should tweak the Top 10 to fit one goal or another, or just limit the restrictions to a minimum number of reviews, and let the chips fall where they may after that.

Perhaps a little red icon by the course names, indicating "temporarily unplayable" or "uncertain status", and anyone for whom it's terribly important can just click on the Top 25 and do the mental work of moving up #11 & #12.

Just a thought....or maybe you're right, Top 10 could be currently available courses only.

I am sure I am in a small minority of course owners when I say that I could care less whether Hawk Hollow is in the Top 10 or not- it is a nice ego boost but other than that I get nothing out of it. I am secure enough in what I know of courses to know it is very very good as is and could be great with more maintenance/amenities/fewer cattle. That being said there are likely courses rated below it that are better as well as courses rated above it that are worse ("worse" meaning "less to my taste"). Unless you are trying to make money from your course (which i am not currently) I don't see the benefit of more exposure.

Lake Claiborne is about to drop several places due to the recent review. Having played the course recently, I personally thought the course rating was a bit generous and I had preliminarily scored it shy of the 4.25 threshold. I take no issue with someone giving any course a 5 as long as they can justify it and its consistent with their previous reviews. Lake Claiborne, as the recent review pointed out, is absolutely beautiful, personally in my top 3. Any player that finds that aspect also highly important, will love both of the Lake Claiborne courses. However, on the flipside, the tees are dreadful and that will take away from the experience for many players. I thought the review pointed out some good things, but calling out the reviewers that gave it a 5 as clowns, was unnecessary.

Flip City would be out the top 10 in the winter season. Highbridge during rave season. Black Falls during mud season.

Black Falls season typically runs from April 15- December 1. We average 375" of snow per season.

It was bound to happen that someone would give us a bogus review. We will probably never see the top 25 again. For us exposure is necessary. Our costs are high and we don't see much traffic. We average 150 visits per year. Recent improvements include 18 disc catcher pro targets replacing our old weathered sports. We also have plans to pour concrete on all 36 holes and uprgrade our signage.

Flip City would be out the top 10 in the winter season. Highbridge during rave season. Black Falls during mud season.
Yep. We call those seasonally affected disorder closures. Park those courses until they re-open.
The top ten, right now.:D

Black Falls season typically runs from April 15- December 1. We average 375" of snow per season.

It was bound to happen that someone would give us a bogus review. We will probably never see the top 25 again. For us exposure is necessary. Our costs are high and we don't see much traffic. We average 150 visits per year. Recent improvements include 18 disc catcher pro targets replacing our old weathered sports. We also have plans to pour concrete on all 36 holes and uprgrade our signage.
Dis golfers are not worthy...your course is great the way it is.

There are plenty of good ones out there. We just seem to attract some bad lately. The policy changes will be difficult for a while, but will stabilize by the end of the season. It's nice to know who will be on the course at all times.

Now Highbridge ?...top 25 courses dropping like flies. If courses are not open, Tim or other moderators need to get them off the list until they re-open.

What criteria? What is the length of time a course needs to be closed or unplayable, to warrant removal? Does there need to a verification process with the owner, or can anyone list course status as "unplayable"? Does there need to be a verification process when course is re-instated?

Moreover, is this what people want out of a Top-10 list? The Top-10 Available Today? A more Sunbelt-tilted list in winter? An ever-changing list, or something reflective of the disc golf world, in general?

Does it really matter, other than the income of a couple of courses that might bump from #12 to #9? Surely it doesn't matter for the public courses, other than pride.

Though it seems Bucksnort might be the most reasonable candidate for removal, depending on how long they anticipate it taking to resolve their issues, and their chances of successfully doing so.

What criteria? What is the length of time a course needs to be closed or unplayable, to warrant removal? Does there need to a verification process with the owner, or can anyone list course status as "unplayable"? Does there need to be a verification process when course is re-instated?

Moreover, is this what people want out of a Top-10 list? The Top-10 Available Today? A more Sunbelt-tilted list in winter? An ever-changing list, or something reflective of the disc golf world, in general?

Does it really matter, other than the income of a couple of courses that might bump from #12 to #9? Surely it doesn't matter for the public courses, other than pride.

Though it seems Bucksnort might be the most reasonable candidate for removal, depending on how long they anticipate it taking to resolve their issues, and their chances of successfully doing so.

If you glance at the top course list and have played it before, you may not go to the course page. If a course is not open, it should not be on the list, imo. Otherwise you are going to have people travelling to a closed course. It's not that much to keep up with...25 courses.

Last edited:
I take no issue with someone giving any course a 5 as long as they can justify it and its consistent with their previous reviews. Lake Claiborne, as the recent review pointed out, is absolutely beautiful, personally in my top 3. Any player that finds that aspect also highly important, will love both of the Lake Claiborne courses. However, on the flipside, the tees are dreadful and that will take away from the experience for many players.

I rated it a 5 partially because it is a beautiful course. I enjoyed the landscape, but the holes were great as well (for reference to another one of my reviews, I gave Chautauqua Park a 4 instead of a 3.5 because of it's beauty and elevation, (and also bumped up Highland Road Park in Baton Rouge a half star despite it having no tee signs and dirt tees). For me the tee pads were a bit of a detractor, but given it was dry, they are still wide and flat, and every throw after your drive isn't on a tee anyway, I was ok with it. I DEFINITELY don't think that course is a three at all, even if everything off the fairway was a tar pit. The holes are still pretty intriguing.

How much do you think not labeling pin position should factor into a review? I remember being a bit confused for a couple holes when I played it, but once I realized what was going on I was fine, and I don't remember seeing another review mention any problems there

Latest posts