• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

It's funny how tastes differ. Hobbs Farm is a special course, indeed. They really got all the little things right (and the big ones too)... but it simply didn't have enough "wow" factor to get my 5.0.

But I do think it's about a 4.75 or so... And the only way to get ratings like that are for some people to think it's a 5.0... which I can't fault anyone for.

On the other hand, Toboggan just handed me my @$$ again... that course oozes wow. But I totally see how many don't see that as a 5.0.

Still, if you've been wanting to know what that course is like, now's the time to find out. Available for casual play through July 5th. Cost is $10 park admission + $5 pay to play. Fly pads are nice and level, and the park is more receptive to DG'ers playing it than I can ever remember.

I agree with this. I wouldn't put Hobbs in my top 10. Like you said, there is really no wow factor. Not to mention a sketchy fairway and transition or two.

I respectfully disagree. no wow factor? what is your threshold for wow? Im well short of your courses played but im just about halfway. I keep a list of my top 100 favorite (wow) holes and hobbs has 2 holes in my top 60 (none in my top 20).

what are your top ten courses? I could not argue that that someone who's played near 600 courses could have hobbs outside their top 10. obviously some of this is personal preference.

I agree with this. I wouldn't put Hobbs in my top 10. Like you said, there is really no wow factor. Not to mention a sketchy fairway and transition or two.

I respectfully disagree. no wow factor? what is your threshold for wow? Im well short of your courses played but im just about halfway. I keep a list of my top 100 favorite (wow) holes and hobbs has 2 holes in my top 60 (none in my top 20).

what are your top ten courses? I could not argue that that someone who's played near 600 courses could have hobbs outside their top 10. obviously some of this is personal preference.

Memorable would be a good threshold for "wow factor" for sure. I just played Hobbs in July (less than a year ago). The only hole that really stands out in my memory is 2. And that is kind of offset by the fact that you have to walk right back through that fairway a few holes later. The boardwalk stands out in my memory but I wouldn't really consider that part of the course. I understand it's necessary but it really is more of a negative for the course because it makes for long transitions and 1 hole that I felt somewhat unsafe even playing (not a fan of rubber mats, especially surrounded by wood on a raised platform with a dropoff in front). I remember 1 hole over water but it was just an easy, routine 275' shot. The water hardly even came into play. The hole before (or maybe 2 or 3 before) the water shot was somewhere in the realm of weird/unfair. The hole after the water hole had a few too many small trees for my taste if I remember correctly. 15 & 11 (I think) were pretty boring and not challenging (I understand they will get better as the small trees grow more). Overall, I really enjoyed the 1-8, 18 side of the course. I didn't love 9-17. Just out of the John Houck courses that I've played, I would definitely have it behind Parc des Familles, Selah Lakeside, and W.R. Jackson. It would be ahead of Selah Creekside, Texas Twist, Trey Deuce, Rock Ridge, Harry Myers, & The Admiral though.

Since you asked, I did try to pick my favorite courses today. Here are my top 16 in no particular order. I'm not going to try to rank them right now because it's too difficult. They are all phenomenal in their own way and many are much different than the others. I guess Hobbs may be in my top 10 after all. It's probably either barely in or barely out as it's middle of the pack out of these 16.

Iron Hill Park, Delaware
Hobbs Farm Park, Georgia
IDGC - W.R. Jackson, Georgia
Prides Creek Park, Indiana
Pickard Park, Iowa
West Lake Park, Iowa
Idlewild, Kentucky
Parc des Familles, Louisiana
Maple Hill, Massachusetts
Shore Winds - Blue, New York
Ashe County Park, North Carolina
Blue Mountain - Skyline, Pennsylvania
Deer Lakes Park, Pennsylvania
Moraine State Park, Pennsylvania
Nockamixon State Park, Pennsylvania
Selah Ranch - Lakeside, Texas

Interesting... I actually haven't played Bogue Chitto State Park yet but I do doubt that a 9 hole course with natural tees is a 4.0 course no matter how well it may be designed.

I think it could be done. The land is nice, and if the rough were cleared out, real tee signs put in, and a little redesign (or maybe back to the original? I never played it but I think that's what the older reviews were reviewing) it could definitely be a 4 with natural tees. It's a great forest of young pines spread out enough to carve some great fairways, with sweeeeet gentle elevation.

I'll stop myself from just rewriting my review here, but I will say I don't really want to go back again to the course as is, even to play the four or five wonderful holes it does have.

What's the dream layout for a world class 9 hole? 3 each of par 3,4,5? Or more 4 3s and just the 2 5s. Thinking it would need a few epic long holes to rate similar to decent 18s.

What's the dream layout for a world class 9 hole? 3 each of par 3,4,5? Or more 4 3s and just the 2 5s. Thinking it would need a few epic long holes to rate similar to decent 18s.

You could start with the front 9 at Harmony Bends.

Only 4 more drive bye-reviews and Jarva moves up to #2 on the site with a 4.87 rating. Right now, 14 of its 22 reviews are drive-byes.

Since this seems to be allowed practice maybe I will get 10 of my die hard patrons to write 5 star reviews for the course. Why not? It would be nice to hop back into the top 25 after that 1 star review. We could always use more traffic aincome. We average 3 people per week and 1 review per year.

Sarcasm

Only 4 more drive bye-reviews and Jarva moves up to #2 on the site with a 4.87 rating. Right now, 14 of its 22 reviews are drive-byes.
While I understand the skepticism, and have more than a bit myself, let's be perfectly honest: dgcr has very limited membership in Europe. It seems realistic that the majority of European courses are drive by reviewers.

It also seems unrealistic that with the sport's growth internationally, that no courses outside the United States will ever crack the top 10.

Last edited:
Since this seems to be allowed practice maybe I will get 10 of my die hard patrons to write 5 star reviews for the course. Why not? It would be nice to hop back into the top 25 after that 1 star review. We could always use more traffic aincome. We average 3 people per week and 1 review per year.

Sarcasm

If you want more play at your course i would do it. (no sarcasm)

RIP'd Top 10!?

Telulah WHAT??? :D
Bluegill
Sugaree
Almost Bucksnort
Almost Highbridge Blueberry and Bear

Haven't played much of the RIP'd variety of courses

Blackjack
Flyboy
I've heard tale of a Stone Henge!?
Holler in the Hills

What are some more? Early Steady's? Mountain Ski Hills?

Maybe it's time to create Top 10 lists by Continent instead of "The World"? Europe would have their own ranked list and Oceanasia would have their list and eventually other continents once they even have 10 courses. That way the trusted reviewers located in their continent would be more likely to have access to the courses to better align their ratings and resulting rankings.

Maybe it's time to create Top 10 lists by Continent instead of "The World"? Europe would have their own ranked list and Oceanasia would have their list and eventually other continents once they even have 10 courses. That way the trusted reviewers located in their continent would be more likely to have access to the courses to better align their ratings and resulting rankings.

I don't think there is enough courses for that yet. Maybe a U.S. and a "Rest of the World". Maybe even a U.S., a Scandinavia, and a "Rest of the World".

Well, at least this will make me feel a little less bad when Jarva is turned into a cemetery (and removed from the top 10). I'd love to be able to play it first, but that ain't gonna happen.

Sarcasm

I'll be there next week!! It's hard to get a five star review out of me, but if the course deserves it, I won't hesitate. 100% chance the review will get lots of thumbs down no matter what I say since I don't care for writing books on here.

(ps - I like your reply to the bad review. You were right on top of it and had evidence to support the bs that guy wrote)

Latest posts