• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Moving beyond a putter - hypothetically

Grinder12000

Birdie Member
Let's say you were trying to teach a person to disk golf.

Many of you have said start with only a putter (or many putters actually).

Well, 95% of the time that person will go all ape **** and get a putter and mid range and perhaps a driver because he is all excited and maybe another mid range and so forth.

But, hypothetically, at what point would you say buy another disc. Would it be a distance thing? Once that person could throw a putter 200 feet accurately?

No one in the real world would ever wait that long - just curious on progression.

I think it's totally fine to start with a typical beginner set as long as you can throw 150'+. An understable fairway driver, a slow neutral mid and a putter is a fine setup that won't reinforce form flaws. At that distance, a player might find that they get better length out of the mid than the driver, but something like a leopard isn't all that likely to build terrible habits.

If I was to start someone with just one disc, it would be a mid rather than a putter. They can do more with it and there's some room to grow into it.

I know when I first started out, the novelty of having an arsenal of discs for different shots added to some of the appeal. So this is not something I discourage.

A lot depends on a player's motivations too. If you want to really commit to getting better and want to be competitive, it helps to minimize a bit to learn the basics of throwing. But if you're just trying to get out and have fun, do what works.

DAMN spelling corrector!!!!

OH - I went out and bought a few disc's (as above) and now am looking for buy 3 or 4 putters just for easier practice. I can no way throw a driver.

All my disc's all sort of fly the same at the moment - random!

Last edited:
Throwing a putter 200' isn't that difficult. Once the disc throw "clicks", you'll see 200' quickly. It's getting it to 300' that'll require some work. Either way, adding something like a Comet and a Leopard to the putter will help you keep working on your form as well as making sure your nose angles are still good (Leopard does that).

Are you looking to throw 500'? Are you looking to become a World Champ? The rule of thumb is to have fun. Developing perfect form from the start is not the most fun thing to do. It will help you in the long run, but it's not going to kill you to hurl some random plastic for the fun of it on occasion.

DAMN spelling corrector!!!!

OH - I went out and bought a few disc's (as above) and now am looking for buy 3 or 4 putters just for easier practice. I can no way throw a driver.

All my disc's all sort of fly the same at the moment - random!

Don't shy completely away from drivers. Putters and midranges aren't nearly as picky about nose angles so they aren't the only tool you need to utilize while learning...
As you develop more arm speed and better form, you'll start seeing distance differences.

I would definitely say go with a good mid range. Once you feel like you've got what you can/want out of that disc, graduate to a slow speed driver. (leopard, cheetah, eagle.)

Are you looking to throw 500'? Are you looking to become a World Champ? The rule of thumb is to have fun. Developing perfect form from the start is not the most fun thing to do. It will help you in the long run, but it's not going to kill you to hurl some random plastic for the fun of it on occasion.

This is excellent advice. It took me awhile to realize that, with a family and not a ton of free time to commit to practice, I would rather just have fun out on the course and throw whatever I like. Is my form great? Not at all. But I am not a tourney player, and certainly am never going to be a pro, so I might as well have fun during my couple-times-a-week outings.

Once you figure out what your objectives are for disc golf, then you can decide where to go with your disc purchases.

If the person you are teaching has a good sports background, I'd let them throw something like a Banshee, Teebird, or Valk, FH and see how that goes. Otherwise I got not problem giving a newbie a FD, Cheetah, Cyclone, or pretty much any mid/putter for BH.

If I was to start someone with just one disc, it would be a mid rather than a putter. They can do more with it and there's some room to grow into it.

I know when I first started out, the novelty of having an arsenal of discs for different shots added to some of the appeal. So this is not something I discourage.

A lot depends on a player's motivations too. If you want to really commit to getting better and want to be competitive, it helps to minimize a bit to learn the basics of throwing. But if you're just trying to get out and have fun, do what works.

^ Great post.

I'd add a good midrange and fairway driver pretty soon. as long as you can put enough power on it then it can only help your game.

Buzzz and putter. Boom, starter kit complete. I learned with a Valkyrie myself though.

I have all beginners start with a fairway driver. I actually prefer to give them an Archangel myself because it is super fliptastic and has a cool name to get them hooked. Driving with putters is in no way a beginners technique and can kind of confuse them and lead them down the wrong road at first.

I like the idea of starting them with a mid-range really. I started my daughter with just a Buzzz when she was 7, but now I'm thinking I should have been doing that all along to everyone. You can drive, approach and Putt with it. A Roc would probably be a little OS for a beginner. If I could start someone today I'd probably let them use my FLX Buzzz for a few rounds, then give them one of my spare Aviars. if they seemed like they were doing good and enjoying the game, I'd give them another few rounds and give them the AA or a Leo. Yep.

I am a fan of a complete kit for starters. Get them out on the course and see what works with their natural tendencies.

By complete, a kit should have:
1 stable-over stable fairway driver for RHBH left turns
1 flippy mid or fairway for RHBH right turns
1 straight disc with minimal fade
2 putters
$50 + a bag/carry device
Done. Now go practice...

Easy to say, but each person is different. So take them out to a field and let them toss discs that you know. Based on how they throw those, fill in the spots above.

I am just on my 3rd year, so I was in this spot not too long ago. I started at 29, I'm not terribly athletic and I have no aspirations of going pro. That being said I derive enjoyment from playing well so I'd like to improve. And for me one way of doing that has been to surround myself with better players either casually, at league or attending tournaments.

I spent the bulk of my first two years playing with putters and mids only. I didn't stop when I reached an arbitrary distance, I stopped when my game took its first big step forward. I am very glad I spent all that time with mids and putters only, it formed the basis of my muscle memory, which was the goal all along. All other factors even, I am much more consistent, have much more control, and am just better at line shaping than all my friends, even though they are more athletic and outdistanced me initially.

I wouldn't recommend any new player only throw putters, because it's not exciting and there's no variety.

One of the reasons I got hooked is because one of the first discs I picked up was a fast driver, and I could throw a tomahawk 250-300 feet on day 1. I tried it with a couple discs and learned how they fly and I knew it was going to be a fun sport. I could see other people throwing backhands and forehands well, although I couldn't yet, but I knew it was something I wanted to do because I could see the potential in the game.

Variety is important to getting someone to stick around. Talking about low scores and saving par isn't going to mean as much to someone who thinks disc golf isn't exciting enough to join in the competition.

I wouldn't recommend any new player only throw putters, because it's not exciting and there's no variety.

One of the reasons I got hooked is because one of the first discs I picked up was a fast driver, and I could throw a tomahawk 250-300 feet on day 1. I tried it with a couple discs and learned how they fly and I knew it was going to be a fun sport. I could see other people throwing backhands and forehands well, although I couldn't yet, but I knew it was something I wanted to do because I could see the potential in the game.

Variety is important to getting someone to stick around. Talking about low scores and saving par isn't going to mean as much to someone who thinks disc golf isn't exciting enough to join in the competition.

I'm also of this line reasoning. Throwing putters at first can definitely help somebody with their form, but the thrill of throwing a distance driver is definitely more entertaining.

until somebody has an explicit desire to get better, let them choose whatever disc(s) they want. Until somebody says, "how can i throw like that," is when beginner disc selection and technique practice becomes appropriate.

I would get a kick out of lower scores rather then distance.

Bardu has a great answer and were of like mind.

I'm not athletic and every sport I enter there is a learning curve. Nothing comes natural like some people.

Latest posts