• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving to Florida...largely for Disc Golf

WillACarpenter

* Ace Member *
Hello there everyone, I haven't been around much in years...for a lot of reasons.

Disc Golf is the firs thing I ever discovered on my own and really fell in love with, hell it's the first activity that sparked me with such fervor that it became a true part of my identity.

I dedicated a lot of myself to the sport, the hobby, and the furthering of it. I dedicated my senior thesis for my BS to installing disc golf courses on municipal properties. Long story short, bureaucracy ruined that entire project for me and I was not proud of the paper I was forced to submit in order to receive my diploma.

Six months ago I was contacted to say that the people I had talked to about this project had gone ahead and were now putting a course in my town and they wanted me to work on the layout. We had a finalized course plan, and it went in about a month ago.

They ruined it. Hole 1 shoots right from the parking lot...then you have to walk back down the fairway to get to the tee for hole 2 and play from there...almost all of the best shots have been turned to crap.

It too was a big disappointment, but it does seem fitting considering the way the project went, that the course would end up the same way.

While this has served to add to my stress and anxiety, it has helped me realize something important...Disc Golf means a hell of a lot to me. Not playing is so bad for me, and playing regularly helps me to know and understand who I am.

My family is moving to Florida, I was planning on staying here in the Finger Lakes in NY. Unfortunately the plans I had have disappeared.

There's not as much left for me as there once was, but there's certainly a potential future.

But disc golf in the sun, in january...with no snow...that's what I need.

I'll be moving within 15 minutes of Whispering Pines DGC and Floral Park DGC.

I look forward to starting fresh, moving forward, and realizing exactly how important disc golf is to me.

Good to see you back on the site Will!
I hope your move to FLA is all you hope it to be.
Good luck in your future endeavors!

I totally hear where your coming from. I live in a little town in the middle of nowhere in Colorado with very limited disc golf. And the town seems to not care at all about disc golf. My league keeps bothering them about it, but they just keep giving us the run around. So I'v been thinking a lot lately about moving to southern California. Disc golf year round and warm weather, tons of courses to choose from.

I know your frustration.
Without going in to too much detail, I was living in a small town with NO dg course, but a small group of us got the county interested in putting in a course, so much so they agreed to also fund it. They put together a powerpoint presentation for a community meeting to inform the public about it, and it ended up getting shot down by a very small number of park users, whom recruited anyone and everyone they knew to instigate a smear campaign and a petition against it. The commissioners caved in an election year and the course was pulled from the master plan.

I ended up so disgusted with the whole thing that I took a job transfer to an area 75 miles away, with a great dg community, and 6 local courses. I couldn't have left that other place fast enough, and have never regretted the move.

Good luck to you, things usually have a tendency to work out with the right attitude. :thmbup:

My air conditioner is running right now.

If you stay for at least two winters, you'll never go back. Enjoy and good luck for your future.

Floral Park is one of my favorites. Be sure to join the Nature Coast DG Club. They use Floral Park as home base and are good folks. Another separate club runs Inverness DGC a little further north and for whatever reason, the two clubs don't actively work together (maybe you can help change that!).

Good luck with your move!

I love the Whispering Pines course. It is tough, but fun.

Let me know when you get down this way and I'll come up and throw both parks with you!

Scott

No change of location will ever resolve any personal schism; wanderlust is just a temporary fix, a temporary resolve to a symptom of a much greater existence. However, moving to where I was not known by a single soul was the moment where I began to know and appreciate my self. I hope that you find YOU in your relocation.

I think that time on the course is a valuable tool of true self-discovery. Enjoy your new location, and don't rush to find a new community. Spend time alone and find out what is your own identity, what juxtaposition creates your greatest personal experience.

What I really need to find, and am currently in hot pursuit of, is a career. I have an interview via phone on Monday, and hopefully that will lead to an in person interview about the time I will arrive, and then I could start training a week or two after getting down there.

If that happens, the rest get a REAL BOOST.

Having a REAL income again, HEALTH INSURANCE for the first time as an adult...man that would be GREAT.

And then I can focus my energy on that career and living my own life around it. Here's hoping.

Welcome to Fla. When you get settled in check out the Fabulous Florida Tour websitte for a schedule of trnys throughout the state. There are 2 seperate listings. The first is for FFT points, they are sanctioned trnys in which you earn points throughout the year, at the end the top points leaders in each division win various awards/prizes. The second is for other trnys,these are not FFT point trnys, just stuff like Ice bowls,(yeah I know, no such thing as Ice Bowl in FL lol) Ace races, and other fun trnys to play. Make sure you head down to the Clearwater area for some great courses to play. Cliff Stephens is a must. East of you in Orlando, don't miss the T-2 course at Turkey lake, a course that will truly challenge yor course management, and shot making skills. Best of luck to you and your move south.

Welcome to FLA! I'm down in Tampa, so message me if you ever come this way. There are courses at USF, Medard Park, and Limona Park (my home course).