• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving to Michigan

Good advice.

Any outdoor/disc golf winter clothing recommendations?

Thin layers which fit over or under each other without binding. A big , thick winter coat is great for sitting down in one place and staying warm but not good for golf. You want as much freedom of movement as possible or it restricts your throwing motion and hurts both distance and control.

Thin layers allow you to add or subtract warmth during a round. This happens a lot. Both from you warming up and weather changing. Just like in hot weather the temperature is not as important as the humidity, in cold weather the temperature is not as important as the wind.

A lot of players wear a few t-shirts and a hoody. I am not a fan of this because a hoody is too thick and heavy for the warmth it gives. I prefer a base of a long sleeved polyester shirt (wicking fabric), then a couple t-shirts, a Polar Tec vest and an unlined nylon shell. Your outer layers need to be big enough to fit over everything else so buy them a size up.

A vest gives great core warmth without restricting arm motion. Polar Tec is spun polyester fleece and amazing stuff. Mittens and neck warmers and hats made of the same stuff are my favorites. A neck warmer (neck cowl) is shockingly warm and comes on and off easily.

Gloves suck. Mittens rule. Mittens are much warmer. Gloves give better dexterity but not enough to be useful. If you need to tie your boots (or a thousand other tasks like throwing a disc or wiping off snow) in the middle of a round you have to take off your gloves or mittens to do it. So oversized mittens, stuffed with disposable handwarmers, go on and off easily and warm your fingers back up.

On the lower half I try to wear as little as I can get away with (still thin layers), feet included. Big clunky boots are hard to throw in. Lightweight hiking boots work better for me. Then drill sheet metal screws in the bottom and you have ice cleats. Nothing gives better traction on ice.

I moved from Ann Arbor to Florida.

Get ready for some kick ass disc golfing. A3 is one of the best leagues anywhere. The courses are incredible, and there are alot of them. Play all year long. Go Blue!

As nice as that was lets not do that again it caused TONS of problems for a lot of people.

You guys are gonna make me try Oberon again....Ive had it 3 times not and I just dont like it. Dont know why.

Get to know Shorts... learn to love Shorts.....

How did the lack of snow cause problems?

And what's Shorts?

How did the lack of snow cause problems?

And what's Shorts?

Shorts is another great an unique brewery here in Michigan. The mild winter we had caused some problems with things blooming early(such as apple trees) and a frost killing a large amount of crops this year. We also have experienced some low water levels due to the lack of snow. A lot of people also rely on snow removal as a source of income in the winter. These are just a few of many issues. Ice fishing sucked too.

Good advice.

Water proof boots and a nice hat. get a lot of hand warmers. If you go to places like MC Sports you can get a log of em. Where in MI? Grand Rapids(Fallasburg Park) and Shelby (Flip City) run winter leagues. I think the people in Kalamazoo also do it too.

EDIT: LOL i didn't read the first post very well. Watch out for people in Ann Arbor they cry when they lose football games, and they are all on drugs

Last edited:
Water proof boots and a nice hat. get a lot of hand warmers. If you go to places like MC Sports you can get a log of em. Where in MI? Grand Rapids(Fallasburg Park) and Shelby (Flip City) run winter leagues. I think the people in Kalamazoo also do it too.

EDIT: LOL i didn't read the first post very well. Watch out for people in Ann Arbor they cry when they lose football games, and they are all on drugs

Thats a pretty bold statement, we only cry when we lose to Ohio State! (People from Grand Rapids are just jealous of Ann Arbor cuz its way cooler!)

and Michigan state, and Norte dame, oh and let's not forget Appalachian state. :p

We had a couple of rough years, but I think they are behind us now. This year I expect total DOMINATION!

We had a couple of rough years, but I think they are behind us now. This year I expect total DOMINATION!

Probably very similar to the domination that Johnny displays in his videos.

well I think you are in for a shock. It will start off with a lose and end with a lose for sure.

well I think you are in for a shock. It will start off with a lose and end with a lose for sure.

!st one maybe, they were ranked 3 and us 4 last time I looked, but i don't think we'll have a problem with Ohio State this year. I didn't see Ferris in the top 25!:D

Alabama is #1 And Michigan is #9 in the preseason AP rankings. Should be a good game, can't wait!

Disc Golf Seasons in Michigan

Coming from Florida, you will be comfortable disc golfing in Michigan from late March/early April to late October/ early November (and you should already be used to the humidity ;)). It will be quite cold and there could be snow from November through March, but as others have stated, the true disc golfers continue to play during these months by wearing extra layers of clothes and tieing strings or taping LED's to their discs.

Ann Arbor has some of Michigan's finest courses within a 45min drive, enjoy.

Ski and snowboarding industry too

Shorts is another great an unique brewery here in Michigan. The mild winter we had caused some problems with things blooming early(such as apple trees) and a frost killing a large amount of crops this year. We also have experienced some low water levels due to the lack of snow. A lot of people also rely on snow removal as a source of income in the winter. These are just a few of many issues. Ice fishing sucked too.

The skiing/snowboarding industry took quite a hit this past winter as well. I know must of us were out disc golfing with their timberland's on, but I only made it out to Alpine Valley once and skipped out on the February Boyne trip because the snow was so weak.

We are beer city. And I like Beer.

At last count, 4 micro breweries in Ann Arbor. I like beer myself, but I don't drink too much anymore. I like a good beer with a meal though. We have a new German Restaurant in Punta Gorda, FL with a bunch of German brews, some that I have never heard of before. I will try them all!

Good advice.

Welcome to the Murder Mitten! Although I'm no UM fan, Ann Arbor is a great town, you'll love it.

As for clothing, I got some Patagonia Capilene longies for a gift and they changed my winter disc experience immensely. A decent base layer allows you to go a little thinner and more wind/rain repellent focus with your top layers. This in turn leads to better mobility and less weight, which are good things.

Also, hand warmers. Use them. Put one in each pocket and you're good to go.

Feel free to shoot me a PM when you get settled and looking for a round.

I'm from Ann Arbor, I hate football, and I don't use drugs, but yes every other person in Ann Arbor is on drugs I can assure you.

And what's Shorts?

Short's brewery makes quality product. In the summer, I was always drinking Bell's Oberon on the course....now it is Short's Soft Parade. Not a fruity beer fan as a rule, but these two are the lone exceptions.

Located in Bellaire, MI. Too bad the local DG course is so pathetic.

Don't worry about the snow. In AA, you won't see enough of it to matter much.