• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mr. America needs help! With Video!

Mr. America

* Ace Member *
I recorded myself, so let the "lulz" begin :D

Oh and mute it if you don't like the Sex Pistols :D

Looking for help on my technique or lack there of...
First throw: DX XD, 260'-270' straight and flat.
Next three or 4: KC Pro Aviars, and one Star Aviar Driver (same mold), all went around 250' give or take 10ft. They left with some flutter.
Light Blue and Green discs: Discraft Buzzz, they went 320-330'+

I measured the distance with a Laser Range finder and was throwing slightly downhill. Wind was sort of swirling, mix of head winds, tail winds, and cross winds. I showed what I was aiming at, and the terrain so you can take the distances as you want.

That's Horizon's isn't it?

A few of those throws it looked like you rolled your wrist over a bit, and on pretty much all of them you didn't maintain shoulder plane during the follow through unless you were throwing little flex shots.

You could also stand to accelerate more during the hit and after, you seem to be putting on the brakes a bit after the disc is released.

That's Horizon's isn't it?
Yeah, Horizons. Standing dead in line with the metal side to the left of the #1 teepad and the road, the cedar I pointed out in the video is 327ft according to my range finder.

A few of those throws it looked like you rolled your wrist over a bit.

Was I throwing white discs or coloreds? What do I need to do about rolling my rist. Am I rolling under or over?

and on pretty much all of them you didn't maintain shoulder plane during the follow through unless you were throwing little flex shots.

Was throwing pretty straight and flat, no clue what maintaining shoulder plane is even suppsoed to mean :D But how do I correct that?

By far the biggest thing I noticed was your lack of weight shift. You need to get all the way over your front foot. Do it so your follow though will cause you to step forward. You can also accelerate later and more, which will be easier with more weight shift. Your hand will be moving faster after the hit than it was before the hit.

I'm weary of trying to point anything else out until after those are fixed. Just remember that a one step throw isn't powered down. You still do exactly the same stuff as you would with a full throw. You'll just get less D because you won't get as much help from your lower body. And if you haven't, do the hammer pound drills.

Wow a step through... that **** ain't happening, not any time soon at least. Tried figuring out how to step forward for two hours. Everything was short turn-n-burns.

I might as well start over.

Wow a step through... that **** ain't happening, not any time soon at least. Tried figuring out how to step forward for two hours. Everything was short turn-n-burns.

I might as well start over.
Try starting with more of a run up to get the feel for it and then go back to a no step or one step throw. Remember the pull doesn't happen until after you've stepped and started shifting your weight. It might be a little later than you expect.

Try starting with more of a run up to get the feel for it and then go back to a no step or one step throw. Remember the pull doesn't happen until after you've stepped and started shifting your weight. It might be a little later than you expect.

Ok. I think earlier today I was trying to think about to many things at once. Do you mean the pull shouldn't start until my left leg has started to step in front of my right/plant leg? Should it start just after the left leg starts, or after the left leg would be in front of the right?

I think I've spent too long "working" out an awkward quirky technique that gives decent results. Should I literally start over again from the beginning in trying to figure something out, or do I have any form of basics that can be corrected?

Last edited:
Should it start just after the left leg starts, or after the left leg would be in front of the right?
After the left leg starts. You shouldn't wait until your left leg is in front or you'll be following through before you throw.

This is one of those thing where videos of others throwing might help. The Dan Beto video is good for this because he demonstrates how to throw with just one step. Notice when his pull starts compared to when he steps and where his body is in relation to his front foot when he starts his pull. If you compare that to your video you'll see that on some throws you never get as far forward as he is when he starts his pull.

Ok. I think earlier today I was trying to think about to many things at once. Do you mean the pull shouldn't start until my left leg has started to step in front of my right/plant leg? Should it start just after the left leg starts, or after the left leg would be in front of the right?

It's like stepping into a baseball swing; you put your plant foot down (your right), step into it with weight transfer and it all links up to eventually pulling your disc. Plant foot/legs pull hips, hips pull your core, core pulls your shoulders, shoulders pull your arm, arm pulls the disc. All those links in the chain need to be pulled in that order to maximize the energy and transfer it to the disc.

Those things I was pointing out (rolling wrist over, shoulder plane preservation) become more natural if you get your weight transferred forward properly.

Shoulder plane:

Good:

2008102nikko.jpg

Bad:

badthrow.jpg

In the bad pic, assuming that he was throwing a hyzer, his arm should be aligned with the green line instead of the red line.

Basically, you want your arm to travel inline, on the same plane, with your shoulders roughly.

Based purely on a comparison of your vid to Dan Beto's and Avery Jenkins,' it seems you lack the bend forward at the waist, the application of a little hyzer, and the step through. Maybe the bend forward and hyzer stops the discs from dumping out right? Also, it seems they go up on the toe of the right foot and come down and translate that acceleration into the snap, rather than having a flat footed pivot. I don't know if those things are specific to body type or not, it's just some things it seems they have in common.

Windows Live Movie Maker. I downloaded it from somewhere. I'd never done anything like this either, but it was pretty simple and straight forward.

Translation of Bro-Dees post:

"GOOD (because it's a pic of Nikko Locastro)"

"BAD (Because that guy is throwing his coveted Augusta Wraith in the ocean)"

For reals though Mr. America. Take a day trip down here to Charlotte one of these days before the summer heat hits, and we can work on getting some more "D" out of your drives as well as your technique. It aint a far drive.

Also, you will get to hit up some pretty fat courses as well. It will be worth your time for sure.

For reals though Mr. America. Take a day trip down here to Charlotte one of these days before the summer heat hits, and we can work on getting some more "D" out of your drives as well as your technique. It aint a far drive.

Also, you will get to hit up some pretty fat courses as well. It will be worth your time for sure.

I am about an hour from Concord Mills in good traffic. When can I come down? :D I have tomorrow off. This weekend isn't good probably, but next weekend is probably clear for me.

Oh yeah, I am uploading a "right pec drill" video now, to see if I am even close on it.

I am about an hour from Concord Mills in good traffic. When can I come down? :D I have tomorrow off. This weekend isn't good probably, but next weekend is probably clear for me.

Oh yeah, I am uploading a "right pec drill" video now, to see if I am even close on it.

I live about 10 minutes from the Mills. I will hit you up with a PM within a couple of hours.