• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Multiflora rosa

Flip55

I work as a guide/greenskeeper/dude at an "adventure" park which has just installed a DGC. Sweet hole design, sweet layout, but the shule is KILLER!!!. I'm talking like 50' square patches of multiflora, black raspberry, and greenbriar:wall:. The weed whacker just isnt cutting it anymore:thmbup: any suggestions?

My experience with multiflora is extensive but successful. You have to double up in layers of denim and carhart wear goggles and take it out at the base using a saw. Then simply drag it out. You d be surprised how fast you can clear a massive patch out when u go directly to the stump. Remain vigilant and stamp it out whenever it sprouts. If there's shade the native flora will take hold and reclaim the environment. Grasses etc.
The key is to commit and take the entire bush out and stop playing around with snippetr
and wackers

lol i'm not sure the goat thing is feasible but i like where your heads at. Would roundup actually kill the multiflora? It seems too tough to be bested by driveway clearer.

roundup is far more than driveway clearer- it will work on multifloral rose. it will also kill pretty much everything else so be responsible with it.

there is another one called banvel that is even better but not as commonly available.

where are you located?- now is a good time to spray if you are far enough south that the plants aren't completely dormant yet- the roundup will sit in the roots all winter and provide more killing punch. (only way to kill wiregrass in my experience other than planting soybeans over it.)

we're in south eastern ohio about 50 miles SE of columbus. and another problem i have with the chemical idea is that our course is very hilly with creek beds all over the place. I'm pretty eco-minded and while not opposed to the idea completely i am nervous about using chems on the course due to run-off

Yeah thats looking like its going to have to be the way... i was just hoping.

honestly its not as bad as you think....get a partner with a dirt rake-he holds the thorns back as you with your saw go to the trunk and saw it off at the base....when it is cut off he can push the beast away from you....just go hardcore with the goggles and double layers gloves etc....you will be surprised how fast you can clear a patch this way....the bigger problem is where to put it.

Also once you get it out of a wooded or shady area it doesnt come back as well....multiflora seems to grow best on wooded edges or areas that get partial light....once its out of the wooded areas it struggles to come back.

Can't stress the value that a few guys with dirt rakes can do moving these huge thorn bushes around once cut at the base

Waiting for Timber to chime in here. Giles Run in Lorton VA was covered with this stuff if I recall.

Brush hog or hedge trimer attachment on a trimmer. Easiest way. Then just mow it up with a lawn mower a couple of times into mulch for the fairway. Done.

Did some digging for your course - didn't know if you wanted it named here or not, so I won't, but if I found the right one, $12 for a round of 18? Wow! I was excited about the possibility until I saw that - oh well.

That being said, I bet you will get lots of tourists down there!

yeah I've been trying to change that listing for a while now. I've updated the course info but it apparently wont change for everyone else. the actual price is $5. $12 is ridiculous. But it is 5 which I think is reasonable. once we get the damn stabity plants out it will be much better!

we're in south eastern ohio about 50 miles SE of columbus. and another problem i have with the chemical idea is that our course is very hilly with creek beds all over the place. I'm pretty eco-minded and while not opposed to the idea completely i am nervous about using chems on the course due to run-off

most herbicides (roundup,etc) become inert when they reach the ground. in my experience it is just as easy (probably moreso) to be irresponsible organically as inorganically.

at this time of year in your location i would go with optidiscic's suggestions. if you are ambitious you could even dig the roots out before the ground freezes. good old elbow grease is often the most effective remedy.

(disclaimer- i do this stuff for a living)

yeah the chems will kill the plant but wont clear it off the fairway so i guess ill have to
man up cover up and saw that stuff up!

thanks for the input. and come check out the course and tell us what you think!

Waiting for Timber to chime in here. Giles Run in Lorton VA was covered with this stuff if I recall.

Giles Run is mostly Blackberries which have been declared a non-invasive natural habitat buffer.

Seneca Creek was Multiflora rose. The previously mentioned, rake and saw method works well with two people. A third person to drag the debris away can make the work go really quick.

Much of what I cleared at Seneca was done solo with my truck, a mattock and a rope lasso. A 3/8" metal cable, with a loop on both ends, and a chainsaw, would have made the job much easier.:doh:

Back the truck up to the patch of thorns, circle the patch with the rope about two feet above the ground surface. Place the end of the rope through the lasso, pull with the truck until well cinched. Set parking brake, get out and cut as much base as possible. Pull again to cinch tighter, cut remainder of base. The entire mass comes out as a huge 8'x8'x8' ball of nastiness which can be pulled with the truck to your disposal site. Loosening and removing the lasso is a pain but disposal is the hardest part of the process.

We were lucky that a controlled burn, by the fire department, was allowed. A 50' x 100' x 8' pile was compacted in a clearing near the original 10th fairway. It burned in about 90 seconds and melted the snow for 100 yards in all directions.

The solo truck method caused five flat tires in 18 months, two of which were unrepairable sidewall punctures.

In some areas,we wanted to keep small trees which were surrounded by multiflora rose. These areas required walking backwards into the thorns to expose the base so an awkward cut could be completed.

ALWAYS drag the debris 3 x farther from the area than you think you need to. Moving a half dried debris pile is a pain, especially if you have to do it repeatedly. Extracting a disc from a debris pile is really frustrating for players.

Eye Protection, sharp tools, long welders gloves, good boots and cold weather (thick clothes) makes the work much easier and safer. A quilted Dickies full body suit is well worth the investment to keep most (not all) of the thorns out of your nether regions...

What kind of native vegetation makes a decent substitute for recently removed multi-flora and other invasive species?

Latest posts