• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Multiple Forms Extravaganza

Also, the scapula has to retract when you follow through, but its not the muscle you should be using to swing. It's part of the fast twitch explosion in the swing.
The whole scapula pull together thing is... so silly.
Actively snap both your scapula muscles together on your back.
Tell me how great that feels. It fking hurts. Those muscles are not very powerful.
The issue with this is that both Chris and Joonas have data that shows the scapula accelerating very early in the throw. Both the guys with the data, of what is actually happening, say that the scapula is the first thing to retract on power throwers.

As silly as it might sound or as much as it might break someone's brain, the evidence points in the opposite direction of what you're saying.

scapula pull is in. Of course the move can be done wrong and you can hurt yourself, but it's happening.

The issue with this is that both Chris and Joonas have data that shows the scapula accelerating very early in the throw. Both the guys with the data, of what is actually happening, say that the scapula is the first thing to retract on power throwers.
Do you have any ressources of Joonas in english? I have only found like 1 video on his channel where he talks about hips with Kuoksa, the occasional appearance in a Kuoksa video and the documentary on the finnish & swedish training facility. I would really like to see more of his view.

Do you have any ressources of Joonas in english? I have only found like 1 video on his channel where he talks about hips with Kuoksa, the occasional appearance in a Kuoksa video and the documentary on the finnish & swedish training facility. I would really like to see more of his view.
I have some pictures he shared with me from EMG research but they aren't for me to share. I would be pretty confident that he is open to conversations though. I've been on call with him a couple hours this week already and chatted a bunch outside of that.

My initial contact with him was through is Instagram.

As silly as it might sound or as much as it might break someone's brain, the evidence points in the opposite direction of what you're saying.

scapula pull is in. Of course the move can be done wrong and you can hurt yourself, but it's happening.
Of course it is pulling the arm. But to ACTIVELY RETRACT the scapula is, I think, wrong despite it happening. The same is with the rear leg. It really does twist and the knee drops, but is it correct to actively do it? Probably not.

Of course it is pulling the arm. But to ACTIVELY RETRACT the scapula is, I think, wrong despite it happening. The same is with the rear leg. It really does twist and the knee drops, but is it correct to actively do it? Probably not.

When you guys say pull are you meaning to say you pull with your shoulder/scapula upper arm and forearm actively or is it just scapula/shoulder?

Some local pro showed me form 2 a little and he made me pull my whole arm actively as hard and fast as I could.

Also reminder that we are talking about 2 forms here. You can say form 2 sucks while also acknowledging people pull their arm when doing it.

Not gonna respond to that other guy tho, else he gets a false impression :p

I'm a gym buff. When I'm told to pull, I think about pull-ups, where you actively try to retract the scapulas down and together. That is the way if you want to get strong pull-ups, but I'm not sure if swinging the arm with a disc with a retracted scapula is all that good. The muscles do tense, but the direction of the arm is more out to the side than back, so even if the scapula does tense a bit, it's NOT the same move as when pulling your body weigh up the bar, i.e., pushing the sternum up and squeezing the blades down.

Last edited:
To be fair I don't think about retracting my scapula on most activities using a pull. I think more people in this camp would use the elbow drive or throw behind you cue. I just think to look at those motions and vehemently oppose using the word "pull" as a descriptor when that is the literal movement is kinda nonsensical.

My problem back in the days was to:
A) Pull the disc
B) On a straight line while
C) Rotating as fast as possible

I dunno about you, but wouldn't those three kinda cancel eachother out? This, however, was how I was taught to throw discs, so some of the three had to go.

One commenter mentioned to "try it and report back" and then removed it. I just wanted to say "trying it and reporting back" is exactly the spirit of this thread, so I will proceed in that spirit.

Now this thread is cookin'. Thanks to everyone who is talking so far.

@Jaani I think you're onto something in terms of fundamentals - there are conflicts in some of the basic ideas, and that is part of what I hoped this thread would create space to talk about.

This chatter is all accessing what I find interesting in the discussion and what my little video was (attempting to) get at.

Since I'm talking more about mechanics than teaching here (but there's a motion experiment in here), I wanted to just keep clarifying a few things that might not be obvious in my little video at the top of the chat. I am going to avoid talking about "swings" or "pulls" entirely for the purpose of this thread because people tend to mean different things and clearly have strong impressions one way or another based on what they think the words mean (in terms of actual motions).

Here are a few reasons why whether or not you are encoding CoG/CoM in your "model" for how it works matters. It's not just about imaginary pink orbs floating in space.

I found a diagonal kettlebell move useful for this. Take a kettlebell and let it swing down toward and just past the left foot, then take it all the way "targetward" down the line like the backhand (I still use arm action just like my backhand when I do this). If I go full on Clement (which is still how I mostly think about the posture-sequence connection and the way I prefer to talk about arms personally) I get closer to what I call Model 1. Heavy emphasis on CoG, clear centrifugally driven move, incredibly low effort and smooth acceleration out of the backswing. It's still athletic in a similar way a golf swing is (or at least, one model for a golf swing) and you can power it up like a golf swing with momentum and shifting and more "juice" from the plant up the chain. Power seems to mostly come from those sources.

If I instead make the motion the way I can do a diagonal kettlebell swings from just past my left foot near the floor to all the way "targetward" down the line using very similar arm mechanics and sequence and posture otherwise, the Model 2 throw is adding more emphasis and juice on the linear(ish) trajectory of the move. There's a little more emphasis on the braced "stop" of the move, and a little more coming through the "top line" of the move that some people might call "arming." But to me it is still just a very natural feeling and flow of actions from head to toe and toe to head. It is not just using the arm to yank - there is a clear contribution of shifting weight, and there is still centrifugal force/rotation/braced and balanced tilt of course. There is a point where I can clearly take it too far and turn it into a shoulder "yank" over top of the brace that really isn't taking advantage of the motion efficiency of the body. Power comes from similar sources to Model 1, with a potentially higher "peak" power due to the different in chain recruitment. Overall across the chain, I noticed that there is a slightly bigger emphasis on fascial loading and unloading and elasticity, and slightly smaller emphasis on the movement in the imaginary CoG.

Both model 1 and model 2 (for me) use "hollow body" posture. That is partly just saying that you are in athletic posture making space for the disc. That is where the disc comes through the imaginary CoM that Sidewinder likes to discuss. I didn't understand what the hell that was until a lot of drilling. I had to literally hold a cylindrical trashcan and walk around with it at one point. Forgive me because my athletic posture control and balance is still not as good as my Waltz posture control and balance, but the CoG/"hollow body" space are just (CoG is probably a little more East than this pic but I made it quickly):

-6594348660436538320.png

But to me, that hollow body space is also related to organic movement and balance in the body that encode side bend, tilted axis, and related concepts and moves. Those are all concepts that directly cross over to dance training. That's why my motion in model 2 is still more "Simon like" than it is like trying to just yank the disc through my shoulder (which I used to do and it almost ruined my shoulder). I do not think everyone who is instructing views posture and posture control the same way (i.e., to me it is clear they do not, at least). When I watch Simon, I see profound - and probably unique - efficiency in motion that started when he was 2 years old. He went through a dramatic vertical and pendular phase of development. People who don't develop that way move differently than those who do. Or at least, they always look that way to me now.

Obviously my motion pattern was/is highly influenced by @sidewinder22 and swing and centrifugal efficiency theory and tons of (endless) dingle arms. I am very grateful for that and continue to learn from him. I think if I had started in the opposite direction more Model 2-y I would be getting hurt much more than I already have. By learning from him I have been able to safely explore these ideas in my own motion and find little differences in leverage points and weight shifting and sequence and so on. It is like walking through the cupboard into Narnia.

Now that I have increasing "motion fluency" and can change things "on the fly" faster, moving into more "model 2" mode is a potential space for power to fish around in. In my personal taste (both my own form and coaching), I am going to look for the efficient version of the motion no matter what or how it is emphasized in the chain. I will always have physical limits to be aware of. There are still things to learn about sources of power. But I also suggest that there are some motions that can generate power at some cost to safety and/or that require more or different kinds of athleticism that are developed in different ways over very long periods of time. While I also obviously admire Simon's form, there are clear reasons I'll never move that well. On the other hand, if Model 1 and Model 2 are a continuum (differences in degrees rather than kinds of form), I probably want my chain to learn from both of them.

PS: I have someone from the "back leg throwing" perspective on my channel. I pinned the comment and discussion in the YouTube video at the start of this thread. I am trying to have an actual conversation with him. So far it is going well. It is possible to talk to people who see things differently than you if you try to understand what they are saying long enough and are patient to ask questions (sometimes, not always).

Last edited:
A lot of the issues with "pull" are because they are fundamentally wrong.

Pull is a result of what we are doing, not what we are actually trying to do.

The result of us driving the body and pushing the elbow forward is the disc is pulled into the chest.
And... That's as far as the disc is "pulled"

The only way to keep pulling after that is to keep your arm bent and start turning in circles.

I got a guy arguing with me in my video that you're never pushing. Okay, well .. you're not pulling after a certain point either. But I don't think he understands the push out part of the swing.

The natural mechanics you'll perform while trying to "pull" a disc, regardless of how "good" you are is that you're going to stop trying to use your whole body to drive the swing, and you're going to use the 5 or 6 muscles in your shoulder and your scapula and jerk the disc at the target.
Yeah, you might be adding some body movement in there and whatever. but you're more likely to wear out your shoulder or hurt your elbow doing this than actually do anything productive.
The goal is to use as many muscles in unison, not a few at a time jerking the body around.
I mean, you can do it that way if you want.

But we need to be better about this. Because the way I keep looking at it is that little childhood thing where we fit the blocks in the holes. And just so many people out there taking the square peg, (pull) and trying to pound it in the round hole and just make the term fit in anyway possible.

Are we gonna start pulling the baseball bat on the batters box next?

What about pulling the golf club into the golf ball?

Do we Pull a tennis racket into the ball on a tennis backhand?

I wonder if were pulling our arm into the ball on a volley ball serve?

Language stuff isn't that hard.
We could all work together about trying to be better at this. but...
I don't think anyone is particularly interested in that. Because even in my video 'comments about this its people trying to beat square pegs in round holes.

@Sheep to make my "judo move" obvious, my suggestion to avoid talking about swinging or pulling in the above is precisely to get past that and talk about action chains and kinetics. You might disagree with how I'm approaching it, but that is the intent just so I'm not being perceived as evasive in any way.

FWIW I think there are people interested in getting more specific and raising good questions and would encourage that discussion to continue. I can try to describe more granular details about my last post about the scapular phase since that is apparently pretty interesting and controversial to some, but I'll let it simmer for a bit.

I can show what I'm talking about with a kettlebell if the difference wasn't clear in writing.

@Sheep to make my "judo move" obvious, my suggestion to avoid talking about swinging or pulling in the above is precisely to get past that and talk about action chains and kinetics. You might disagree with how I'm approaching it, but that is the intent just so I'm not being perceived as evasive in any way.

FWIW I think there are people interested in getting more specific and raising good questions and would encourage that discussion to continue. I can try to describe more granular details about my last post about the scapular phase since that is apparently pretty interesting and controversial to some, but I'll let it simmer for a bit.

I can show what I'm talking about with a kettlebell if the difference wasn't clear in writing.

Exactly. Action chains. Were not pulling. Thats the whole point. Can there be some, is there a result of.
I laid it out there... the basic action chain.
I asked questions, albeit in a very sarcastic manor. Because the responses are not tryin gto build any information, its just "no, were pulling"... okay.

The problem is, there isn't really asking questions... This thread started off pretty good, and seems to have went somewhere else. I think one of the overall issues with this is the conversations here have become far to complicated for a forum style debate with out us using any structure in debate. And we all wanna win our points. Everyone just throws down hard points and doesn't try and budge or listen.

I mean. I am too, but that's because I can tell very few are actually trying to listen.

-Avoid "It is inconsistent with my prior beliefs, and therefore it is wrong."

Just gonna go with this.
Cause this is the impressions from the arguments that I'm getting back on the whole "pull" thing.

If anyone does actually wanna talk about stuff though, just message me on instagram. Cause I want to discuss and build things. not just feel like its a fight to try and get people to listen and comprehend.

Brychanus, balance is imaginary? What you're trying to say eludes me.

Many great throwers have a wider stance: Kuoksa, AB, Albert Tamm. Most of us can't achieve this because our lower body strength is inadequate.

The brace, IMO, is when your center of gravity is behind and directed into your balance point which is the heel of your plant foot. People regularly teach that your plant foot should be 90 degrees from your target line, and demonstrate throwing without rotating on their heel at all. This is incorrect and dangerous as it creates excessive stress on the knee. Corey Ellis provides the best example of what a brace should look like because the movements of his plant foot are exaggerated. He raises his toes quite high.The foot is only flat momentarily, but even then the weight is moving toward the heel. Pictures provide the illusion that the foot is static, but weight and balance point are constantly shifting. There are some pros who do maintain that flat footed 90 degree position until very late in their throw such as Calvin Heimburg and Hailey King, but these are people with very little body weight and pay attention to what happens to their ankles during their follow through. Yikes!

My experience with the pull/push. I was pushing out before I got too fast pulling in. Now, the arm opens naturally without me having time to even think about pushing out. Many of the big guns tell me, too, that they only pull in. That's all they have time to do because the lower arm unfolds without them having to do anything.

At least, this is how my arm works. It's still a pushing-out motion, whether I do it consciously or not. I also teach this in my Arm Video from 15 months ago. In the video, I say that out-in-out is how you learn to use the arm, but as you get faster and more powerful, none of this matters because the arm is relaxed, and you don't control the hand moving in and out anymore. I still stand behind this idea. As is becoming my irritable mantra at his point: don't force, don't try to control, just let it happen. The arm will go out in out as much as it needs when you let the disc come in so fast that you can't do anything about it slinging out.

Brychanus, balance is imaginary? What you're trying to say eludes me.

Many great throwers have a wider stance: Kuoksa, AB, Albert Tamm. Most of us can't achieve this because our lower body strength is inadequate.

The brace, IMO, is when your center of gravity is behind and directed into your balance point which is the heel of your plant foot. People regularly teach that your plant foot should be 90 degrees from your target line, and demonstrate throwing without rotating on their heel at all. This is incorrect and dangerous as it creates excessive stress on the knee. Corey Ellis provides the best example of what a brace should look like because the movements of his plant foot are exaggerated. He raises his toes quite high.The foot is only flat momentarily, but even then the weight is moving toward the heel. Pictures provide the illusion that the foot is static, but weight and balance point are constantly shifting. There are some pros who do maintain that flat footed 90 degree position until very late in their throw such as Calvin Heimburg and Hailey King, but these are people with very little body weight and pay attention to what happens to their ankles during their follow through. Yikes!

Sorry, what I am trying to say is that the "balance line" is imaginary. That's the blue line head to foot. This comes from my dance training and the Steve Pratt drill - you can think of this line as "scanning" back and forth head to foot in your movement as you go foot to foot. Some people end up with the balance lines inverted, or stopping short of one foot or the other and trapped between the feet, etc. Some people here and elsewhere are disagreeing about where the balance is related to the brace, and so on. I also think people are disagreeing about axes of rotation and whether they do or do not encode this blue balance line. Player on the left has a balance line that is tipping in the opposite direction it "should" be. Notice also that the balance line in the player on the left is trapped forward of "inside" the rear foot too early and gets stuck there, which is why they are not coming off the instep of the rear foot like Tamm. Other things are interesting: E.g. I'm not sure where the "back leg" community would put balance lines. They might put it somewhere like where Tamm's is in the North-South direction as they initially get over the rear foot, but I think probably not in the "West-East" direction, and would definitely have different balance when they land in the plant. They also would disagree about a few other things.

1713889287013.png

Just to tie it back to my "model 1 and 2" discussion, I think there are subtle ways of changing the balance from head to foot that are related to the broader discussion we're having here, including axes of rotation and some of the nice topics you mentioned, @Al Dente. Still tilted balance/axis, still Figure 8-like action in the hips, still involving relative movements of center of mass and actual mass, but distinctions in details and potentially where sources of power come from. I'll let it sit there for a moment again.

Liked you bringing up Ellis. Encourage people to look closer at Ellis, Schusterick, Kuoksa, Seabas, Clint Easterly, McBeth, Simon Lizotte standstills and you may start to get what I'm trying to poke around in with Model 1 vs. Model 2. Yes, anatomy and body mass profile matter quite a bit. Potentially also a continuum/spectrum of emphases in the chains and postures and details about where power comes from.

Edit: I like to acknowledge - Chris Taylor suggested to try some of the "leg leading" stop of (real) mass w/ more emphasis on horizontal abduction in the motion. I learned something from that. I have some physical limitations in my lower body so I stopped playing with it in X-step (where I use a narrower base) once I picked up some of the lessons. But I can still play with it in standstills which is part of what cued me to start this thread. I would agree that improvements in my base/leg strength (still not great, but slowly improving) are related to what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
I just reached out to Joonas to see if he'd be willing to meet with me.
Had a 2.5 hr conversation and he was incredibly willing to show and discuss anything with me. Some of the pre-published or person-specific content will need to remain private per his request but I can probably discuss some of the gists and takeaways up to a point if it is interesting.

Last edited: